Dead brand new Powerpro

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

number3456
Gold Member

Dead brand new Powerpro

Post by number3456 »

I bought a powerpro upgrade based on demonstration at lowes in des moines along with the rest of upgrades to convert one of my 510 to a 7.

I watched the dvd several times, read the manual, and did the upgrade by following the dvd in my shop. I started the balancing between the 2 belts and when I got to 2000 the unit ran and quit at around 1800 rpm. same a higher settings. It did not matter if I ran it at 120 or when I switched it over to 220.

I called shopsmith and they said an engineer would call me within 48 hours.

72 hours later I am still waiting for a call from an engineer or some who can help me. I have a brand new power pro head that is dead.

I tried it today and now it won”t run at all. The error message is RPS State Error0. I expected the call and now would like a whole new motor, controller, etc. sent to me along with paid return shipping for the defective unit. I will be calling on Monday again.
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Dead brand new Powerpro

Post by garys »

Hopefully Shopsmith will get back to you and then hopefully it is a simple problem that can be solved without replacing the unit.
Some of that kind of problem is to be expected with equipment that has that much electronics in it.
My feeling about the electronic controlled Power Pro is that if you have multiple Shopsmiths, you should consider switching one of them to the Power Pro unit for the additional power and speed flexibility. If you own just one Shopsmith, you are probably better off leaving the old mechanical head on it for reliability.
If you have more than one Shopsmith, you always have one to fall back on when one is acting up.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

Thanks guys. I was very frustrated yesterday but calmer now though still frustrated. hopefully will be able to talk to engineer and resolve soon. I will take a look at the suggested links and do what is suggested without voiding any warrantee.

I am glad that I have a second shopsmith which I don't plan to updrade to the powerpro. I like having one of each. Today I will work on the other shopsmith with the larger wheel upgrade. I had made the wheel upgrade while I was was doing the powerpro upgrade and cloudn't believe how much easier the shopsmith rolls around my shop floor. I would have upgradeed the wheels long ago if I had known how easy it is to move around.
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

I don't have a PowerPro, and I know nothing in this area. But, is this the sort of item that might benefit from being rebooted? If it were me, I'd unplug it for a few minutes, then try again. That's worked for me for other modern machines that are smarter than I am (e.g. my washing machine).
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ah yes. The more complicated the tasks given to a machine the more easily it gets confused. and misbehaves.

I sometimes think those who 'design' these machines are too confidant and fail to include rainy day scenarios in their design considerations.

Why should it EVER be necessary to 'reboot'?

KISS
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:Ah yes. The more complicated the tasks given to a machine the more easily it gets confused. and misbehaves.

I sometimes think those who 'design' these machines are too confidant and fail to include rainy day scenarios in their design considerations.

KISS
Because SOMETIMES it doesn't boot properly the first time. :eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:Ah yes. The more complicated the tasks given to a machine the more easily it gets confused. and misbehaves.

KISS
Because SOMETIMES it doesn't boot properly the first time. :eek:
That to me is an indication of malfunction and making it repeat is wishful thinking. Unfortunately all too often as of late that is successful. So much for reliability and safety factor in design. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

All I will add to this is that software is software.
Each piece of data (instruction, information, commands, etc) are just microscopic capacitors of some shape or description (many different iterations) holding a on or off state. If only one of those capacitors loses (or changes state), then the whole machine can come crashing down (in a virtual point of view).

A reboot just simply re-establishes the proper state of the "on's" an "off's" in those capacitors. That is never going to change as long as we use the current technology.

Nature of the beast(s).... :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

'Hardware' unreliability affecting 'software' function. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝