Tradition

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Tradition

Post by reible »

For years now we put up and fill our bird feeders on Thanksgiving. So today I'm out putting them up and there in the near by tree was a small flock of Junco's. I haven't seen even one since last spring so clearly they have returned.

Now it is interesting that they happened to be here today. What is even more interesting is that Thanksgiving can be any of a number of days, earliest is the 22nd and the latest is the 28th so do they must just wing it when to show up here.

Of course they have to play it safe and take a while to stop in, a few hours is normal but by evening they will be filling up for the night.

OK back to some real work.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Re: Tradition

Post by moggymatt »

Happy Thanksgiving!

What's a Juno?
Paul B
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

A Junco maybe?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

What happened to the "c"??? anyway it's fixed now.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

As of 3:13 I see both Junco's and chickadees at the feeder. Just happened in the last couple of minutes as I have been checking every little while.

Sometimes these birds amaze me at how they adapt to my tradition. Of course the feeder with the black oil sunflower seeds is the active one. It's nice to see them in action again after these months off.

Ed
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

I think it is something how they remember where they got feed from in the past. We have not put ours out yet but the chickadees have been lined up on the deck rail chewing us out for it. It will be a while yet as the bear are still out and they love sunflower seeds. I went to TSC today and bought this years supply of sunflower seeds. On black Fri they always have them for 10.00 a bag
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sawmill wrote:I think it is something how they remember where they got feed from in the past. We have not put ours out yet but the chickadees have been lined up on the deck rail chewing us out for it. It will be a while yet as the bear are still out and they love sunflower seeds. I went to TSC today and bought this years supply of sunflower seeds. On black Fri they always have them for 10.00 a bag
They certainly remember.

Just a question but what is a years worth? I go through about 300 pounds a year at about $25 a 50 pound bag.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

I usually buy 5 bags 40 lbs each. This will get us thru most of the winter. We have to take the feeders down when we start getting wrm days as the bear will eithereat them up or carry them away
sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

If you have a squirrwl problem at your feeder check out this feeder. Yankee Flipper.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sawmill wrote:I usually buy 5 bags 40 lbs each. This will get us thru most of the winter. We have to take the feeders down when we start getting wrm days as the bear will eithereat them up or carry them away
300# is a little light. Last year I bought eight 50# bags from the farm supply store. This year they are 40# bags from the same place so we will see.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT