VA ID Card

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

VA ID Card

Post by jsburger »

From the VA...

"Today the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now available for Veterans — yet another action honoring their service."

This is good news and a long time coming. All honorably discharged veterans regardless of length of service will have an ID card saying they served. No more need to carry a copy of your DD-214. Hopefully you will be able to show that card and get military discounts wherever they are offered.

Here is the link to apply...

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressre ... fm?id=3979

I followed the link above and the link to apply is not on the web page yet. :confused: :confused: :confused: I just got the announcement today so maybe someone jumped the gun.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Re: VA ID Card

Post by garys »

The link doesn't work for me either. That is typical of web sites. The left hand never knows what the left hand is doing so links from one page to another get lost in their mess.
Maybe next year if they wake up.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:The link doesn't work for me either. That is typical of web sites. The left hand never knows what the left hand is doing so links from one page to another get lost in their mess.
Maybe next year if they wake up.
Well the link to the VA site works. What link doesn't work? The links all work. It is just that there is no link to click on to get your card. Calm down, it will get fixed.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

I followed the link but in the middle of the page you need to click another link and go to the bottom of that page and click apply for an ID. It just spins now and does not load but I would suspect it would be good in a day or so. You can also go to this link and get right to the page.

https://www.vets.gov/veteran-id-card/

Michael
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

dynabase wrote: It just spins now and does not load but I would suspect it would be good in a day or so.
Sitting and spinning eternally is what I consider a link not working.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have just been there. It spins and spins but eventually does load.

What I am still not sure of is why I want a VA card. What does it do for me that my DOD ID card doesn't do.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

dusty wrote:I have just been there. It spins and spins but eventually does load.

What I am still not sure of is why I want a VA card. What does it do for me that my DOD ID card doesn't do.
My guess is for you and me it does nothing since I have a retired grey ID and I assume you do too, but I have friends who only spent a few years in the military and outside of a VA med card if they use the VA, there was no ID available to show their service, only a DD214. Civilian stores and other places will not accept a VA med card as proof of service...go figure, wonder how they thought they earned the right to VA resources...if they did these cards wouldn't be necessary IMO
Last edited by GoNavy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I have just been there. It spins and spins but eventually does load.

It does not do anything for you. It is designed for anyone that does not have some kind of other DOD ID card i.e. Active Duty, Retired, Enrolled in the VA Health System. If you are not retired but enrolled in the VA health system you already have a VA ID card so you don't need another one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

jsburger wrote:If you are not retired but enrolled in the VA health system you already have a VA ID card so you don't need another one.
No that is not true, I have a friend who was hurt in Iraq only spent two and half yrs on duty then med discharged. He tried to use a VA med card at Lowes, maybe it was the store, but they said they needed proof military service not med service...ie...DD214.
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Thanks for the heads-up.