Requesting a Moderator or Super Moderator?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benush26
Platinum Member

Requesting a Moderator or Super Moderator?

Post by benush26 »

Excuse me for any toes i will step on. :o
I spend considerably less time on this forum than many of you. However, it does seem that the Admin appears to have less time to devote to this forum than might be needed to eliminate the ever increasing number of crap weasels :mad: who find this a great place to spread their spam.
In the past i thought i remembered, when discussing the format of this forum, some members writing that they had performed as moderators in other forums.
My question then becomes (as i mercilessly step on toes! :eek: ), is there someone who would be willing to accept some of the duties of the Admin, say removal of spam , on a daily basis?
First it would of course have to be cleared with the mother ship. Though with lag time on so many of their fronts i would presume that they would be thrilled with one less thing to do. Then, a remote access would need to be granted with appropriate rights.
Nope i am NOT volunteering. I learned long ago not to volunteer :p plus i have neither the expertise nor spare time to devote.
Anyway, just a thought - and yes i am fully aware of just how dangerous i am when i try to think! :D

Be well,
Ben
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Requesting a Moderator or Super Moderator?

Post by beeg »

Sure, why knot. But I might be to tough on the spammers. :)
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

It would be helpful.

Everett
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well we sure need someone to do something. I just finished reporting 13 more posts this morning. Same person as another batch from the other day. Since this reporting doesn't seem to work here anymore I'm not going to do it anymore,.........

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is sorta like complaining to management when you go to the big box store and find that there is nothing you want on the "Clearance, All Items $1.00" table.

When I find a spammer like we have right now, I put the spammer's name on the FOE list right now.

Then I read those posts that are not from the spammer and then mark all posts as read.

This way I spend no time reading the nuisance posts.

Yes, it would be nice if Admin would eliminate this user from the forum but maybe Admin has other priorities...like maybe he is on a well earned vacation.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Personally, i am getting really concerned about Shopsmith. There are way to many areas that are falling apart, the Forum being just one of the areas.

Something is wrong, I hate to speculate, but something is definitely wrong with the whole organization ...

JMHO.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

This morning there are approx. 15 spam entries on the forum. So what? I did not read any of them, they do not bother me, I simply ignore them. End of problem. I do not understand why people get so upset over Spam. Ignore it! And move on!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed in Tampa wrote:This morning there are approx. 15 spam entries on the forum. So what? I did not read any of them, they do not bother me, I simply ignore them. End of problem. I do not understand why people get so upset over Spam. Ignore it! And move on!
I've always reported them or tried to. You have that option but since it no longer looks like reporting them gets them removed I'm joining the ignore them group. Just had done reporting on 13 and now a couple more have popped up, I'm ignoring them.

I too fear that things are happening and not for good for us forum members. Perhaps one day soon the forum will be history? It looks headed that way since the care that has been taken in the past is no longer happening. Well I guess we will see.

So if we lose the forum where shall we gather to talk shopsmith? Or is it too early to start planning?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Well, the dreaded Facebook has several Shopsmith pages, most independently moderated. I think there is also one hosted by Shopsmith. Spam is handled there. The advice here is much more knowledgeable...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Looks like the spam is gone. Thanks to whomever done it.
As to the future of Shopsmith, que sera srera. It's outta my hands.