jointer for 10ER

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ludolph3
Bronze Member

jointer for 10ER

Post by ludolph3 »

Hi, I am a new member(just registered). I am seeking a 4" jointer for my 10ER. I obtained this machine from a basement cleanout job. The motor did not work, but I was able to buy a rebuilt one and the machine works fine now. Does anyone know where to buy a 620 jointer, as well as the mounting bracket, pulley, tubes and belt required to hook it up to the machine?

Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: jointer for 10ER

Post by JPG »

The '620' jointer does not fit a Model 10.

The 4E does, but requires the 4E headrest.

Wait for John Burger to provide pix.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:The '620' jointer does not fit a Model 10.

Well, yes and no.

Here are all things 10ER jointer wise. The original jointer for the 10ER was the model 4E.
4E Jointer.JPG
4E Jointer.JPG (386.68 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
It required a special jointer head rest and hinge plate to mount it on the 10ER.
jointer headrest.JPG
jointer headrest.JPG (377.21 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
Then you need the special motor pulley set to drive the jointer.
Jointer Motor pulley.jpg
Jointer Motor pulley.jpg (271.42 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
The jointer itself is some what rare but does come up on eBay occasionally. It is almost identical to the model 620 jointer but does not have mounting tubes. It bolts to the head rest hinge plate. You can see the mounting holes in this picture.
4E Jointer Mounting Holes.JPG
4E Jointer Mounting Holes.JPG (72.54 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
The head rest is also some what rare but it too comes up on eBay occasionally. The hinge plate is another story. It is very rare because they were easily broken.

Then there is the extremely rare motor pulley set. I have the only complete set I have ever see after years of watching eBay.

If you want an original Magna 4E jointer set up it will take a long time to gather the parts if you ever get some of them and it won't be cheap.

There is another option. When Magna came out with the MK 5 they made a set of adapters to run MK 5 SPT's (i.e. the 620 jointer) on the 10ER.
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg (239.01 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
The adapter set is also extremely rare. I also have the only complete set I have ever seen on eBay after years of watching and it cost almost $300. The jointer uses the "A" adapter which is the top one in the picture and also the pulley. Unfortunately the "A" adapter is very rare. You do occasionally see the "B" adapter (bottom) and the pulley.

So here is the third option and you can have it today. Buy a 620 jointer. They are on eBay all the time. Then go to Skip Campbell's web site.

http://www.mkctools.com/10erparts.htm

He makes an after market MK 5/V SPT adapter and motor pulley for the 10ER.

Sorry for being so long winded but at least it is all documented in one place now.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John's pictures are an excellent example of what you need to have for the 4" Jointer Model 4E to work on a Model 10E or 10ER Shopsmith. Attached is the Instructions for the Jointer Mounting Kit.
Jointer Mounting Kit 05-53.pdf
(539.68 KiB) Downloaded 1242 times
If you have a Speed Changer you need the motor pulley set-up shown. If you do not have a Speed Changer you can get a 4 step Pulley for the motor with 2", 3", 4" and 5" steps and use it since the 2" step goes towards the motor. The Model 620 Jointer can be mounted to the Model 10E/10ER special headrest and bracket since it still has the mounting holes for it, just leave off the mounting tubes. The Model 620-C Jointer no longer had those holes. It, like all other SPT's requires the Power Mount Adapter Kit to be used on the Model 10E or 10ER. Attached is the Instructions for the Power Mount Adapter Kit.
Power-Mount Adapter Kit 11-920 02-56.pdf
(327.47 KiB) Downloaded 1078 times
As John has said these parts are not easy to find and when found are rather expensive. You may find it cheaper to buy a Model 10E or 10ER with the complete Jointer set-up than buying the parts on-line if you can find them. That is how I got my Jointer set-up. I paid $250 for a 10ER with the complete Jointer set-up and sold the restored 10ER without it. I restore Shopsmith's as a hobby and I do keep the extra accessories I want but when sold they are complete as they originally came from the factory.

If you go for John's suggestion of getting a Model 620 or later Jointer and getting Skip Campbell's adapter and headstock pulley also get the longer mounting tubes, as shown in the Adapter Kit Instructions, needed to use this set-up.

Good luck,
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

I also have everything you mentioned.
I have two 4e’s jointers
three head sets
two hinge plates
two motor pulley assembly set ups (I think two, but a lest one)
one complete set of the A & B brackets
three speed changers
also have two of the rare brackets that go on the back of a sawsmith to add a spt.

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:The '620' jointer does not fit a Model 10.

Well, yes and no.

Here are all things 10ER jointer wise. The original jointer for the 10ER was the model 4E.

$matches[2]

It required a special jointer head rest and hinge plate to mount it on the 10ER.

$matches[2]

Then you need the special motor pulley set to drive the jointer.

$matches[2]

The jointer itself is some what rare but does come up on eBay occasionally. It is almost identical to the model 620 jointer but does not have mounting tubes. It bolts to the head rest hinge plate. You can see the mounting holes in this picture.

$matches[2]

The head rest is also some what rare but it too comes up on eBay occasionally. The hinge plate is another story. It is very rare because they were easily broken.

Then there is the extremely rare motor pulley set. I have the only complete set I have ever see after years of watching eBay.

If you want an original Magna 4E jointer set up it will take a long time to gather the parts if you ever get some of them and it won't be cheap.

There is another option. When Magna came out with the MK 5 they made a set of adapters to run MK 5 SPT's (i.e. the 620 jointer) on the 10ER.

DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg

The adapter set is also extremely rare. I also have the only complete set I have ever seen on eBay after years of watching and it cost almost $300. The jointer uses the "A" adapter which is the top one in the picture and also the pulley. Unfortunately the "A" adapter is very rare. You do occasionally see the "B" adapter (bottom) and the pulley.

So here is the third option and you can have it today. Buy a 620 jointer. They are on eBay all the time. Then go to Skip Campbell's web site.

http://www.mkctools.com/10erparts.htm

He makes an after market MK 5/V SPT adapter and motor pulley for the 10ER.

Sorry for being so long winded but at least it is all documented in one place now.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As John and I have said it won't be cheap to get an original one set up. As an example there is on for sale on ebay. Although it has the mounting bracket it is missing the fence and blade guard so to get the correct ones to go with it you would need to get them from another 4E or an early Model 620 before the fence lock changed. Also the logo on the guard has changed over time. Take note of how these parts look from John's pictures and mine below. The one for sale would still need the Jointer Headrest, Motor Pulley Set-up and belt. I still believe if you want an original Jointer set-up for your 10ER your best bet is to keep watching for one sold with a Model 10E or 10ER locally. Good luck and keep us updated.
4E-2145.jpg
4E-2145.jpg (516.9 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
This is my 4E Jointer. When not in use I store it on this wood bench with the bracket going down through a slot cut for it to protect it from being damaged.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

John,
Thank you for all the fabulous information on the 4e jointer. I own a 4e jointer that I have completely refurbished. My grandfather bought it new and I ended up with it nearly 70 years later. I have the jointer headrest, however like most, I do not have the pivot plate as I’m sure it broke at some point years ago. I would like to manufacture my own pivot plate so I can put this excellent jointer to use. I see that you own one and would like to ask if you could possibly post the general dimensions of the pivot plate itself. Even simply laying the pivot plate on a sheet of paper, tracing the shape, and writing the corresponding dimensions would be very helpful for me. If this is too much work, I understand, if not, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Darren
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DarrenDD wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:46 pm John,
Thank you for all the fabulous information on the 4e jointer. I own a 4e jointer that I have completely refurbished. My grandfather bought it new and I ended up with it nearly 70 years later. I have the jointer headrest, however like most, I do not have the pivot plate as I’m sure it broke at some point years ago. I would like to manufacture my own pivot plate so I can put this excellent jointer to use. I see that you own one and would like to ask if you could possibly post the general dimensions of the pivot plate itself. Even simply laying the pivot plate on a sheet of paper, tracing the shape, and writing the corresponding dimensions would be very helpful for me. If this is too much work, I understand, if not, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Darren
I will be happy to take some measurements for you. However, it won't be until Saturday. I am out of town right now.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

John,
Sounds great! Much appreciated.
Darren
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since John's away I went out to the shop to play. Below are the dimensions with pictures for the Mounting Plate. In the first picture

A = 6-1/2"
B = 5-1/2"
C = 4-1/2"
D = 1-5/8" (the slot for the locking plate is 7/8" long for a 5/16" - 18 x 3/4" bolt)
E = 3-3/4"

The tabs are 1" wide and the bolt slots allow for adjusting the plate up/down on the Jointer.

The plate is attached to the Jointer by 1/4" - 20 x 3/4" bolts with square nuts. The locking plate 1-1/8" wide x 1-5/8" long and 1/8" thick with the threaded hole for the bolt centered 1-3/16" from the bottom as shown in the second picture.

_
4E Jointer Mount front.jpg
4E Jointer Mount front.jpg (192.98 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
_
4E Jointer Mount back.jpg
4E Jointer Mount back.jpg (144.24 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
_
4E Jointer Mount profile.jpg
4E Jointer Mount profile.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
Note the profile of the Mounting Plate since making one you will have to compensate for it.
Russ

Mark V 520