RBI Hawk 226vs vs shopsmith mounted scroll saw opinions

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Beave2012
Platinum Member

RBI Hawk 226vs vs shopsmith mounted scroll saw opinions

Post by Beave2012 »

So I have done my fair share of scroll sawing and want to move off the mark v powered version eventually. I like my shopsmith version except for the noise. I ran my dad's shopsmith free standing scroll saw and wow that would be perfect. (For it for him as a gift and now I'm jealous, lol).

Anyways, I now have a chance for a hawk 226vs scroll saw in near mount convention for 400. Wondering how the quality compares to the shopsmith. I don't want to go down in quality. Also at 400 bucks I want it high quality since a new dewalt 20" isnt much more.

Any input is appreciated. Again, love my shopsmith but can't find a free standing for a while now.
-Beave
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: RBI Hawk 226vs vs shopsmith mounted scroll saw opinions

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have not done much scroll saw work and what I have done was on a cheap scroll saw many years ago. I am not sure what the differences are in models but there is a local listing on CL here for a Hawk 220 for $175 that states it hesitates when changing speeds. May just be this unit or the model. https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/tls/ ... 67100.html
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

If you haven’t listened to the Hawk, arrange a demo. If you want quieter, then the DeWalt is your machine, but you will give up some throat capacity. Most people buy the Hawk 220 VS, so seeing a 226 is rare. Montana is not a hot bed of scroll saw usage, but a Hawk 220 Ultra in nearly perfect condition was listed for $450 and then $400 and then $350 before the ad went away. I’d guess that it sold for closer to $300, but that is probably market driven. I could see a used Pro series for $400 if it was well maintained, but again, that is the Montana market.
If quiet is your goal, then the DeWalt is the best for that money level. It’s not that exceptional, and you will still probably want hearing protection. Even an Excalibur can make your ears ring if you use it long enough.
I had an 80s vintage 220 (bought in 1996), but it was not one I kept long. The lower blade keeper broke twice and tensioning was hit or miss even with blades by the same company. The manual had a great chart that never seemed to work for me. I did have access to the DeWalt for a charity project and it was quieter than my standalone SS (newer aqua arm). I also got to play with an Excalibur, but I’ll need to win the lottery to consider one!
Not sure if any of this helps, but I’d take a project board and test out the decibels on Hawk.

Be well,
Ben
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I purchased a Seyco earlier this year. Huge table, almost silent operation. I just love it. Too bad I stink at scrolling, but practice is helping!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe