Movie on TV

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Movie on TV

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:
JPG wrote:The "she" in "she was wrong" was referring to DB5's wife, not Thunderbirdbat.

Yes "she" was expressing an opinion, but IMO, a largely unjustified one along with an incorrect description.
I thought DB5's original post was intended as a joke; and maybe something he read as opposed to something his wife said....
Considering 'the source', you are likely correct. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Hobbyman2 wrote:There are a few series on netflix that are pretty good

Longmire about a sheriff office in Montana

Heartland about a horse farm in Alberta

Hell on wheels about the railroad moving west in the 1800
My Wife and i are about half way through Hell on Wheels, and really enjoying it. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

rpd wrote:

My Wife and i are about half way through Hell on Wheels, and really enjoying it. :)

===========

LOL I am not a tv nut but I admit I binged watched that one ,longmire and heartland are both good, we are only in season 3 of 10 in heartland and it has become a family night thing lol
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

The "New Mexico" branch of Wyoming.

Oh, "Branch" figures into the bunch,
too. As does Barlow Connaly. Branch's
father.

Yes, I just happen to be watching the
series, on NetFlix.

steve
Last edited by skou on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Being a retired history teacher, "Hell On Wheels" had a lot of inaccuracies, but I still considered it great entertainment.
BPR
ranger_phil
Bronze Member

Post by ranger_phil »

I'll mention with both a lot of joy and just a tiny bit of embarrassment that I worked on Hell on Wheels as the railroad history consultant in the final two seasons. It was great fun and an amazing experience. I'm an historic interpreter by trade, so the trade-off between dramatic license and accuracy always concerned me, but a TV show isn't a history lesson; ratings are what keeps the show on and pays the bills and the producers were very up front about this.

Without belaboring the point, one of the best things about the show is that over five seasons, they aired about 42 hours of content, quite a bit more than a feature film. This meant that the producers could explore details about culture, relationships and technology in ways that wouldn't be possible in a feature film, and some of the production details in are incredible. In my experience, some of what I contributed as factual content was repurposed and/or modified, such as entire speeches uttered by different historic characters in different contexts, and characters who saw and did far more than any one human could have done in the 1860s. But the result in some cases was to illustrate "truths" about the context of the times and the significance of the project in a way to capture popular imagination. The one anomaly that I just couldn't quite come to peace with is that the show was shot in Calgary, and the Canadian Rockies are most definitely NOT the Sierra Nevada. In the town set there was a saloon decorated with moose antlers, fer cryin' out loud!

I'll quit pontificating now just after mentioning that 2019 is the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad, and its existence still affect our lives today in many ways.

Back to sawdust now.
Ranger Phil--

Circa 1991 510 upgraded to PowerPro and 4" casters, standalone SS bandsaw, SS jointer, Craftsman planer, and my 35 year old Craftsman table saw, which works in spite of itself! I'm always learning and never feel fully accomplished.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

A sense of humor is an amazing gift.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:A sense of humor is an amazing gift.
As is objectivity!

Thank you Phil for sharing. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Let us not forget “The Big Lebowski “ !
Paul
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

There are as many opinions on movies as there are movie watchers. Thank goodness most people like movies more than I do. I'm one of the few who seldom find a movie I feel is worth watching. Many years ago i already quit going to theaters where I have to pay for a movie. Usually I wanted to walk out after the first 20 minutes so it was a waste of money for me. The only way I attempt to watch a movie today is on free TV. Then, I can turn it off after a few minutes and it isn't a waste of money.
The movie makers would be out of business if many people felt like I do, so it is great for them that I'm the oddball and not the mainstream.

Thinking back, the last movie I watched all the way through and felt was worth the time was Forrest Gump. That one came out around 1996 so I'm pretty useless to the movie makers.

Give me a well done documentary or informational film and I'll watch and enjoy it.