Wood carving and the Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stickmaker
Gold Member

Wood carving and the Shopsmith

Post by stickmaker »

Wood carving and the Shopsmith.
I use almost all my Shopsmith tools in carving toppers when making walking sticks and canes and in relief carvings and carving in the round. I will use the table saw as well as the band saw. Cutting a block of wood from longer stock. Then cutting out basic shapes on the band saw as well as cutting staffs to length. I use both horizontal and vertical drill press. The vertical for drilling a hole in the bottom of a block of wood for the all thread I will use to connect a carving to the staff. I use the horizontal for drilling a straight, centered hole in the staff to receive the all thread connector in the topper. I use both the disk sander and drum sander in the drill chuck for shaping or clean up on a carving. The lathe I use in rounding a block for carving or sometimes shaping a staff for a cane. I also use the lathe with three buffing wheel attachment for waxing and polishing some carvings. Carving the wood is the thing that happens when the Shopsmith has done its work.
Randy
Simer Fi
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
charlese
Platinum Member

Re: Wood carving and the Shopsmith

Post by charlese »

Yes! and both of you do beautiful work!
Would love to see more of your work. We can gain from viewing your carvings and learning a few tricks.
A few years ago I took a wood carving class in S.Texas. A love that will last as long as I do. The hobby is truly long lasting. As my hands weaken, Dremel will do.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Wood carving and the Shopsmith

Post by rjent »

You certainly have set a carved wood standard for all Shopsmith users with your carvings. I, like Charlese, enjoy seeing your creations!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin