Sketchup 2018

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Sketchup 2018

Post by dusty »

Has anyone downloaded the new Sketchup 2018 Trail Version?

More specifically, has anyone had the trial version loaded long enough (30 days) to have expired?

If so, when it finally expired, were you able to use Sketchup? Were ALL of your "old" skechup files (skb) still available? Is your previous Sketchup application still functional.

Mine is not and I don't know if this is because of something I did or is it the planned demise of old version Sketchup downloads. I did notice that while the trial version was installing that a note stated "removing old files".

I am beginning to feel as though I have hosed myself by downloading and installing the trial version. This will be bad because I am neither capable of nor inclined to spend $400+ for a paid version of Sketchup.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Re: Sketchup 2018

Post by curiousgeorge »

Dusty,
If you want to download an earlier version of SketchUp go to majorgeeks.com and search for SketchUp. I just downloaded SketchUp Make 2016 32 bit version from there.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Remember this thread?

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 18#p243292

Did you check to see if sketchup 2017 still exists on their site? It was there the last time I looked and that would be a path back to the pc version of sketchup.

Any files done in 2018 are not readable in 2017........ but they should not have gotten rid of the design files you had in 2017 so perhaps they are just not where you thought they were. I keep my files in the document folder and have not had problems.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:Remember this thread?

Did you check to see if sketchup 2017 still exists on their site? It was there the last time I looked and that would be a path back to the pc version of sketchup.

Any files done in 2018 are not readable in 2017........ but they should not have gotten rid of the design files you had in 2017 so perhaps they are just not where you thought they were. I keep my files in the document folder and have not had problems.

Ed
No, Ed. I did not (do not) recall that thread but it was certainly there. I was forewarned.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:
reible wrote:Remember this thread?

Ed
No, Ed. I did not (do not) recall that thread but it was certainly there. I was forewarned.
If a downloadable copy of 2017 free is available I have not found it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am confused. As I read more, I am getting the impression that free Sketchup is really not going away. What is Sketchup Make? As I interpret what I read, Sketchup (without the Pro features) will remain available under that new name (Sketchup Make). I also think what I read says that when the expiration day arrives the conversion will occur automatically.

Only time (10 days now) will tell.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am still confused about what is actually happening but but my 2017 version of Sketchup has expired and yet I have access to Sketchup.

When I click on a SU file in my directory it opens with "SketchupMake".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I am still confused about what is actually happening but but my 2017 version of Sketchup has expired and yet I have access to Sketchup.

When I click on a SU file in my directory it opens with "SketchupMake".
This is from a Google search.

"SketchUp Make is the free version of SketchUp and has all of the features needed to create 3D objects and scenes. SketchUp Pro is the paid upgrade that adds professional features such as advanced drawing tools and additional import and export options.Nov 18, 2016"

That quote is from 2016 but presumably applies today.

Here is another quote from the same search.

"Sketchup Make (formerly SketchUp for Home and Personal Use), introduced in May 2013, is a free-of-charge version for home, personal and educational use. It begins with a 30-day trial of SketchUp Pro. After that time, users can agree to the Terms of Service and continue to use SketchUp Make for free."
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

"Sketchup Make (formerly SketchUp for Home and Personal Use), introduced in May 2013, is a free-of-charge version for home, personal and educational use. It begins with a 30-day trial of SketchUp Pro. After that time, users can agree to the Terms of Service and continue to use SketchUp Make for free."

Thank you, John. This may have answered my question. I did not realize it but the SketchupMake that is now on my computer does have an expiration date. Now I wait and see what happens when this SU load expires.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty