Social Security checks to rise by most since 2012

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Social Security checks to rise by most since 2012

Post by dusty »

The "Hold Harmless" provision will protect some of us, John but many of us are not in that same boat (only about 3.5% of us are). Medicare Premiums will increase significantly for many of us. The cost of dental care also needs to be factored in. Those who have had Delta Dental will likely be unfavorably impacted too. Who will be the new Dental Coverage provider.

Then there are the new 2019 income tax tables. What surprises do they bring. I'll bet they offset some of the anticipated gains.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:The "Hold Harmless" provision will protect some of us, John but many of us are not in that same boat (only about 3.5% of us are). Medicare Premiums will increase significantly for many of us. The cost of dental care also needs to be factored in. Those who have had Delta Dental will likely be unfavorably impacted too. Who will be the new Dental Coverage provider.

Then there are the new 2019 income tax tables. What surprises do they bring. I'll bet they offset some of the anticipated gains.
All of the above being true we all still got a 2.8% raise. It is after all a Cost of Living raise that is designed to cover the raises in the things you stated. Weather it covers 100% of the raises is another thing.

Yes the Tricare Dental program is going away but if you were eligible for it you are now eligible for FEDVIP ( Federal Dental and Vision Insurance Program ). You should have gotten emails from Tricare about it. Delta dental is a provider under FEDVIP but there are 3 or 4 others also that have better coverage. Here is the link.

https://tricare.benefeds.com/InfoPortal/indexAction

You have to sign up during the up coming open season to have the benefits start 1 January when the Tricare Dental program ends.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

More not so bad news.

"The standard Medicare Part B monthly premium for 2019 will be $135.50, a modest increase of just $1.50 per month over 2018's standard premium."

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

So far it appears that I will see a $28/mo increase in take home. This will cover dinner for two at the Olive Garden once a month.

Who ever said there is such a thing as "free lunch".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I'm with Gene Howe!! Glad it's not a merit raise.

As for eating out at Olive Garden - you can always switch to McDonnalds.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:I'm with Gene Howe!! Glad it's not a merit raise.

As for eating out at Olive Garden - you can always switch to McDonnalds.
I would consider that if they served Spaghetti and Meat Balls with an all you can eat salad bowl but I am not sure it would be anymore economical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm not eating at Olive Garden unless they use our local made spagetti made from our superior northern grown durum wheat. No other pasta can match the quality of the local stuff here.
I had an old friend who was Italian. For years he shipped his pasta here from Italy to get the best. When we started producing it in North Dakota, he tried it and found it superior to the Italian produced product and never bought it from Italy again.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Just as I had expected. After I factor in the anticipated costs for Dental Coverage under the new FEDVIP, my expected net increase in take home will be $8.01.

I still do not know how the incomer tax changes will effect this.

So much for that monthly spaghetti dinner.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Just as I had expected. After I factor in the anticipated costs for Dental Coverage under the new FEDVIP, my expected net increase in take home will be $8.01.

There is still McDonald's. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:Just as I had expected. After I factor in the anticipated costs for Dental Coverage under the new FEDVIP, my expected net increase in take home will be $8.01.

There is still McDonald's. :D
You are kidding, of course. Have you ever tried spaghetti at McDonalds? :eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty