Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

amboyna
Gold Member

Shopsmith Tie Clip

Post by amboyna »

Scanning copies of ShopMag I ran across this:
Shopsmith_TieClip.jpg
Shopsmith_TieClip.jpg (112.45 KiB) Viewed 14173 times
My question is has anybody ever seen one? Or possibly own one?
The other question is how many issues of ShopMag were published. I have the first three.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Tie Clip

Post by rpd »

amboyna wrote:Scanning copies of ShopMag I ran across this:
Shopsmith_TieClip.jpg
The other question is how many issues of ShopMag were published. I have the first three.
Starting with no.4 the name was changed to Shopsmith Shavings, no. 10 is the last that I know of.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/de ... =338&tab=3
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

rpd wrote:
Shopsmith_TieClip.jpg
Starting with no.4 the name was changed to Shopsmith Shavings, no. 10 is the last that I know of.

ShopMag was published after Shopsmith Shavings and featured the Mark 5. After ShopMag it was called Hands On.
Attachments
Shopmag_1_01.jpg
Shopmag_1_01.jpg (253.81 KiB) Viewed 14161 times
Bruce Brenner
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

rpd wrote:
Shopsmith_TieClip.jpg

Ron,
That is a great link. Thanks for sharing it. I have a copy of a Shopsmith Shavings New Owners Edition that I suppose was provided to my father-in-law when he bought it new in "55. The copyright date on the back is July 1954.It doesn't appear in the list. I checked the other ones I have and they were all on there.
Wiley

Edit
Apparently when RLF reopened Shopsmith he also restarted the production of Shopsmith Shavings. There are 3 on Ebay, two from 1978 and one from 1979.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There is some confusion here so I will try to help clarify. Bruce asked about ShopMag but Ron answered referring to Shop Notes.

Shop Notes was the first "publication" Magna put out about the Shopsmith Model 10's. It had three issues but there are some combined/condensed issues that were put out as catch-up for later buyers, example Shop Notes 1 & 2. It was changed to Shopsmith Shavings starting with Issue No. 4. In issue 10 they announced the change to ShopMag and Issue 1 came out in the Fall of 1956 (see cover page above). I have only those first three issues and do not know if they went past that.

After Shopsmith Inc. formed they started Shavings from Shopsmith. I do not know the first issue date but the Final Issue was July – August 1979. In that issue it was announced that it was being replaced by Hands On! with Editor Nick Engler. Hands On! continued through the 1980's but I do not know when it ended.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Thanks for the info Russ. I wondered why my FIL only had issues 9 and 10 of the Shavings. Using the link Ron provided I figured out the first 8 came out during the E10/ER10 era, and issue 9 coincided with the introduction of the Mark 5.
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

WileyCoyote wrote:
rpd wrote:
Shopsmith_TieClip.jpg

Ron,
That is a great link. Thanks for sharing it. I have a copy of a Shopsmith Shavings New Owners Edition that I suppose was provided to my father-in-law when he bought it new in "55. The copyright date on the back is July 1954.It doesn't appear in the list. I checked the other ones I have and they were all on there.
Wiley

Edit
Apparently when RLF reopened Shopsmith he also restarted the production of Shopsmith Shavings. There are 3 on Ebay, two from 1978 and one from 1979.
I had no idea Shopsmith Shavings was resurrected in the 70's. I can see where I confused you.
The Shop Notes had to change their name as Popular Mechanics already had a magazine using that title. At least that's what I heard. Don't know if it's true or not.
Bruce Brenner
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

amboyna wrote:
WileyCoyote wrote:
rpd wrote:

Ron,
Wiley

Edit
I had no idea Shopsmith Shavings was resurrected in the 70's. I can see where I confused you.
The Shop Notes had to change their name as Popular Mechanics already had a magazine using that title. At least that's what I heard. Don't know if it's true or not.
Attachments
Shopnotes.jpg
Shopnotes.jpg (129.24 KiB) Viewed 14066 times
Bruce Brenner
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Wiley wrote,
I have a copy of a Shopsmith Shavings New Owners Edition that I suppose was provided to my father-in-law when he bought it new in "55. The copyright date on the back is July 1954.
I have not seen that New Owners Edition. Shopsmith Shavings 8 had a letter on the front page from Chambers announcing the up coming release of the new Mark 5. Of note in that issue on page 2 was News About The New 4" Jointer Model 4E and the other two pages was Model 10 stuff. If your New Owners Edition is different than 9 or 10 and all about the new Mark 5 it may be considered 8 and one half. Done between issue 8 and 9. We can't call 8.02 since computers weren't around yet. :D

Now to add a little more to the confusion. At the same time Hands On! was being published Shopsmith had another publication called Better Woodworking. It was a combination of projects and a catalog. I have issues from 1981 to 1985. I do not know how long it was in print.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Russ,

Other than a drawing on the front cover of the Mark 5, their is nothing specific within the Shavings on either model.

Wiley
Attachments
Scan.jpg
Scan.jpg (209.67 KiB) Viewed 13954 times