Facebook Shopsmith Sites

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Facebook Shopsmith Sites

Post by WileyCoyote »

I have been playing on the computer this morning and noticed on my Facebook page an ad to join the Shopsmith Troubleshooting and Tips site. I did and then got a link to the Shopsmith Customer Service site. Apparently they now have at least 3 different sites up and running with daily interaction with customers. Nowhere near the level of support offered here, but they do offer advice and usually it comes from the Mothership. I also found a Shopsmith Sales Group. The only issue with the groups is you have to join them. You can't just pull up the site and see the posts unless you are a member.

On their Troubleshooting and Tips site they have a link to Files and looks like some of the files were lifted from this site, specifically an alignment procedure and bearing guide with the name Everett on them. I don't blame them for taking those two, they are a must have. Kudos to Everett for putting all the info together.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Facebook Shopsmith Sites

Post by dusty »

First, thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately, I will not be going there. This forum is about as close as I am ever going to get (again) to social media. I really regret that Shopsmith has not chosen to utilize this forum as a portal into that sort of data.

That said, I did find this (that apparently has been there awhile):

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... g_info.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

dusty wrote:First, thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately, I will not be going there. This forum is about as close as I am ever going to get (again) to social media. I really regret that Shopsmith has not chosen to utilize this forum as a portal into that sort of data.

I'm with you Dusty. I left Facebook when the Cambridge Analytica scandal broke. And never went back.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

amboyna wrote:

I'm with you Dusty. I left Facebook when the Cambridge Analytica scandal broke. And never went back.
I have never had a Facebook account and never will.

Interesting link, none of the troubleshooting guides mention about the Gilmer drive system.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thunderbirdbat wrote:
amboyna wrote:

I have never had a Facebook account and never will.

Interesting link, none of the troubleshooting guides mention about the Gilmer drive system.
Surprise! Same folks that do not acknowledge that a Mark 5 ever existed. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I did join as well. This is where the new generation of woodworkers will reside. It has about 1200 members. As commented a few days ago most of us here are older and wonder why we have not seen more of an influx of new blood. Here is our answer. I know that Facebook and social media has its risks but so does a computer connected to the internet. You find a way to minimize the risks to an acceptable level and move on. Its never going to be a 100% safe but I would rather take a few risks and live today's world than than be stuck in yesterday's. We have the experience that is valuable to them and they have the new ideas we have never thought of. Just makes sense to me to take advantage of it.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I can't agree with you more Dusty. I have never been on Facebook and never will. I understand this is the way for companies to go today but SS is (was) a bit different. They have an incredible loyal following here. Why not promote this forum and maybe have a Facebook page that promotes this forum as the definitive place to get all things Shopsmith.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,
I agree with you. Keep it in one place. Shopsmith are you "listening?"
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:John,
I agree with you. Keep it in one place. Shopsmith are you "listening?"

I hope they are but I am not holding my breath.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’m a Facebook holdout as well, but my concerns have more to do with the ethics of Facebook management in particular than with “social media” in general.

Have you guys ever looked at Shopsmith and other vintage-machinery listings on Facebook marketplace? I have, on my wife’s FB account, and the amount of good stuff listed there seems considerably larger than on CL these days. And with a higher percentage of real bargains ... seems to be a lot of young folks just dumping grandpa’s stuff without researching the market value.

More and more, it seems that there’s information out there that requires a Facebook account to access. Just like this new Shopsmith stuff. So a few weeks ago, I read up on how to configure FB settings for a reasonable level of privacy (until they yet again change their policies without prior notice), and decided to join. But when I actually went to pull the trigger, it turned out that I couldn’t create an account without giving them my full birthdate. Which seems like a key piece of information for identity thieves, so I bailed out. Then did a bit of research, and the official FB line is that they need this so that they can provide you with age-appropriate information, or some such BS. Birth year, maybe. Birthdate ... give me a break.

So now I’m contemplating setting up an account using bogus personal information. Anything I’m not comfortable sharing, just make it up. Any advice on that from current Facebook users?