Informal Poll - Size of your Shop and how many Shopsmiths?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Informal Poll - Size of your Shop and how many Shopsmiths?

Post by Gene Howe »

860 sq.ft. two Shopsmiths. One is a Shorty. The other has the Jointech saw train with a router table.
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

2 car garage about 450 sq ft - 2 cars, 1 Shopsmith 500.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Two car garage about 400 sq ft.
One Shopsmith, one radial arm saw, Delta planer, Dewalt miter saw, DC3300, Ridgid Shop Vac.

Wish list Ridgid 3650 Table saw, stand-alone jointer, and bench top drill press.

However truth be told I am spending less and less time in shop. Age has made it a requirement that I use dust mask and such and by the time I get all dressed up to do something I have lost interest.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I want to thank everyone for the excellent responses so far. I tried to compile all of the data into a spreadsheet to crunch the data a bit. If there is interest, I can upload the spreadsheet at some point. I wanted to see the distribution of Shopsmith owners versus actual shop size. Again just out of curiosity and to get a better understanding of how Shopsmith owners utilize their equipment. Below is a picture showing the distribution of shop size for those of you that have responded to this thread as of this morning before this post. There are 20 of us included in this distribution so this dataset is starting to become statistically significant. As you can see most of us are using one or more Shopsmiths in what I would classify as a small to medium size shop. A few of you are blessed to have what I would call a large shop...of course this is relative because even though your shop footprint may be large, you might be utilizing many Shopsmiths and/or restoring them for use/sale (or have non-Shopsmith equipment too).

Still crunching the data, but another interesting tidbit that I calculated is 40% of you own at least one PowerPro.

Lastly, several of you are working in shops as small or even smaller than mine....but you also have more than one Shopsmith in use in this small space. I applaud those of you that have made this work because I feel claustrophobic in my 210 sq. ft. shop. Of course, each of our workflows are unique so what we are building and how we use our space naturally varies for each of us.
ShopsmithShopSize2.jpg
ShopsmithShopSize2.jpg (73.72 KiB) Viewed 16317 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

I have half of a 2 car garage, around 200 sq. feet. I have a MarkV and 2 10ER's. The MKV has been dedicated to bandsaw duty while one of the 10ER's is a dedicated drill press and the other used to be a dedicated lathe that now sits outside my rear garage door under a deck and get sanding duty in the summer.I also have a SS Power Station that has a strip sander on it in the garage.

In my garage shop there is a dedicated full size lathe, dedicated midi lathe,contractor style table saw, 6' work bench, jointer,dust collector, ceiling hung air filtration system, and a pedestal grinder. Most of the tools, except for the lathes, are older from around the early 90's.

I have reorganized the layout many times, and think I now have the perfect configuration for my shop. It should be noted that most of my woodworking these days is woodturning; but, I have easy access to all of my tools.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

My shop is 16x24 = 384 sf. I have one SS 500 upgraded to 510, then 520, then Power Pro (bought new in 1984). I have a SS BS on a Power Station and a SS scroll Saw (aqua color) that resides in an enclosed cabinet most of the time. I have a Bosch 10" glide saw on custom miter saw stand that includes an enclosed Fein Turbo vac under the saw, Festool TS55, multiple rails up to 118" rail by Makita, CT22 vac with boom arm, Festool Carvex Cordless Jigsaw PSBC 420, Carvex PSB 420 corded jigsaw, HK 55 and rails, Oscillating OS 400 EQ-Plus VECTURO, Domino, IWoodpecker parrel guide systemncra router table with LS positioner, Incra plate and Porter Cable 3hp router, bunch of Woodpecker stuff, bunch of Bridge City Tool Works stuff, assorted nail guns (grex and Senco), SS lathe duplicator, and 1 1/2 hp Jet Cone dust collector, SS dust collector, Rigid Oscillating Spindle sander on custom sharpening cabinet, and Shaper Origin .... other stuff too. Everything is on wheels and before anyone asks, there is no room to build projects withot serious rearrangement ;-)

Jack
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

No shop. Shed is 11' 4"x7' 4".
I have 3 10 E/ER Shopsmiths. Two are assembled.
I use a carport for turning.
My shed is full of tools, including a 10E that has been completely restored.
Russ Chapman has been my inspiration and mentor on the 10E restore. Thanks Russ.
Attachments
Shed_sm.jpg
Shed_sm.jpg (189.35 KiB) Viewed 16296 times
Last edited by amboyna on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I forgot to mention earlier...any new responses on this thread (since my post today with the Histogram of shop size), I will tabulate and add to what I already have. I will give it another week or so for any new responses to be added here. At that point, I will post the updated stats that will include everyone's responses. Again thanks to all for your responses here. So, please continue to add to this thread. I appreciate everyone's input and will repost the results again in another week.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

12x19=228sf, one SS 500 with power pro, band saw, belt sander and such with a 12" DeWalt chop saw.
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

For the longest time (until 2 years ago) I had 180 sq. ft. But after a remodel of the family room I picked up another 159 sq. ft. (in an adjacent room). The original space is the Main shop. That's were I make the dust. The new space I'm trying to use for storage, staging, and as a 'clean' room for finishing.

That said I do have some wood stored in the garage as well, but both cars fit so it's not much and it's way too cold for me to go out an try to measure.

I have one SS purchased new in March of '82
Last edited by berry on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.