New PTWFE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

LR1231
Gold Member

Re: New PTWFE

Post by LR1231 »

Interesting discussion.

Thanks for confirming the lack of quality in the prints and the fact it is essentially the old book.

I would take exception to the perceived dig into Mr. Davis original manual restorations.

I believe Mr. Davis stated he restored the original manuals. He did not state he corrected the original manuals and illustration content.

Errors like these it looks like have gone unchecked and uncorrected through decades and revision after revision. It is worth noting them so folks can reproduce the work intended.

If folks here like Mr. Davis' work, and I for one certainly do, then why not campaign Shopsmith to rewrite their PTWFE for them?

If I knew how to create a poll in the forums, I would recommend that one be created for exactly that.

My favorite drawing he produced is the 7 side by side profiles of headstocks in his Google Drive. It really helps me determine what vintage some headstock assemblies are.

Lewis
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Lewis,

You are correct. I only attempted to take the 1953 published document and improve legibility and readability.

I did not try to correct image content itself, only the clarity of the images and to make the entire document word searchable, add an extended and active table of contents.

Equally, I tried to pay homage to the original person or persons who made a scanned copy of the entire book in an image form.

I used OCR and extensive proof reading to convert the text of the document which made it word searchable.

Equally, I produced it in a PDF format that was zoom capable allowing images (or words) to be enlarged on computer screens to improve legibility.

BR549, has documented one of the inaccuracies of the original 1953 document that seems to be present to this day in subsequent releases.

If I get back to a revision project for this I will make some annotations. It is a 346 Page Book!

Everett
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is really misleading or to be honest a lie.
ScreenHunter 147.jpg
ScreenHunter 147.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 15494 times
Unless someone has found the under table routing and shaping section.......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:This is really misleading or to be honest a lie.

ScreenHunter 147.jpg

Unless someone has found the under table routing and shaping section.......

Ed
I agree! Quite misleading and that caused me to purchase it for that which is missing.

The Mark VII version(Modern Power Tool Woodworking) has a 16 page chapter on under table routing/sanding.

I think some effort should have been taken to duplicate that chapter using a Mark 7 for the 'new' edition.

P.S. I think 'marketing' types with minimal knowledge of what they are touting are the culprits. 'They' often do not mind 'messing' with reality.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

After reading these comments, I think I will save my money. I was really hoping for someone from headquarters would be reading these as well and would say how this situation could be addressed/corrected. I would humbly suggest a revision is in order?
BPR
rbenstead
Gold Member

Post by rbenstead »

After reading the comments, I called and cancelled the order. Since it was back ordered anyway.I told them what was up and they seemed like they didn't know anything about it.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

rbenstead wrote:After reading the comments, I called and cancelled the order. Since it was back ordered anyway.I told them what was up and they seemed like they didn't know anything about it.

That's because they haven't been there very long.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:
rbenstead wrote:After reading the comments, I called and cancelled the order. Since it was back ordered anyway.I told them what was up and they seemed like they didn't know anything about it.

That is because they have not existed on this planet very long! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
beeg wrote:

That is because they have not existed on this planet very long! ;)
:D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Today I received a second copy of the new PTWFE with a note attached that in the first new version I received they left out the index.
Attachments
PTWFE Error.pdf
(93.5 KiB) Downloaded 1558 times
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER