Question for Nick or someone in the know...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

Question for Nick or someone in the know...

Post by ericolson »

Will the forum ever have a link where we can upload photos? I was thinking of a gallery of owner's shops and one of projects that come out of said shops.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
admin
Gold Member

Images

Post by admin »

It is something we have discussed and may do in the future, along with many, many other things including the online seminars/sawdust sessions that Nick mentioned.

Feel free to use the image features that are available already on the forum, you can upload images to your profile, and within your posts - possibly start a thread related to workshops or projects and ask for photos.

Just throwing out some ideas for now, but we will keep you updated
through email of any new features that become available, here or on any of our network of websites.
Shopsmith I.T.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

admin wrote:It is something we have discussed and may do in the future, along with many, many other things including the online seminars/sawdust sessions that Nick mentioned.

Feel free to use the image features that are available already on the forum, you can upload images to your profile, and within your posts - possibly start a thread related to workshops or projects and ask for photos.

Just throwing out some ideas for now, but we will keep you updated
through email of any new features that become available, here or on any of our network of websites.
Thanks for the quick answer, Admin, sounds good and will do...:)
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

One of the biggest hurdles with a gallery is that the photos have to be juried -- it won't serve any of our interests, not Shopsmith's and not the people who frequent this forum, to publish just anything. There has to be both woodworking variety and quality for the gallery to be a success. So there has to be a jury, the jury needs to make some rules, and the folks who submit the pics have to be willing to abide by these rules. The projects will have to meet the jury's standards for design, craftsmanship, and good taste.

Tell you what, Eric. Let's take a step toward creating a gallery because it IS a good idea. You send me some pics of the sorts of things you make there at Rock Creek. Jim McCann, a member of our engineering staff and one of the finest craftsmen I know, has also volunteered to give me some pics. Anybody else out there who reads this and has a project to share, send me some digital photos (nick@shopsmith.com), including detail shots. If you have built your project from someone else's plans, you must identify the source so we can give the designer proper credit. Then I'll put together (but not yet publish) a fledgling galley page with navigation. I'll also ask some folks here at Shopsmith if they would be willing to serve on a jury, and put together a simple set of rules and criteria for prospective jurists to consider and discuss. I'll show all this to the folks upstairs and if they like it, we'll publish an experimental gallery page on the academy web site, put a call for photos on the Forum, and see how it goes.

With all good wishes,
Spike13
Gold Member

Will send in some students projects to view

Post by Spike13 »

Nick,
Good things are going on at the "homestead" with you aboard. Sounds like some great ideas could be shown as discussed in conversation with you. I will try to put some things together this week for you.:) Way to go!!!

Other forum users, Nick is a welcome site to this forum and brings a lot of experience to Shopsmith. If you ever have the chance to get to one of the National Academies for training, do so! I think it would be a great experience. You won't regret it.:)
Life is a chip at a time, :D
Spike13