Identifying Shopsmith Arbors

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Identifying Shopsmith Arbors

Post by Mike907 »

Here are pictures from a while back of the keyless chuck - it does have a Shopsmith logo printed on it, but I doubt that it is manufactured by Shopsmith.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/woodw ... 4-s10.html

Mike
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Mike907 wrote:Here are pictures from a while back of the keyless chuck - it does have a Shopsmith logo printed on it, but I doubt that it is manufactured by Shopsmith.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/woodw ... 4-s10.html

Mike
Thanks Mike. The Shopsmith keyless looks very similar to the chuck designs from Jacobs chucks, so I am guessing they purchased it directly from them and rebranded it. Of course it could be another manufacturer that looks similar to a Jacobs chuck...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

RFGuy asked,
I noticed the Shopsmith Keyless 5/8" drill chuck (556273) wasn't included in your picture, but I assume this might be because you don't have one yet. I am curious if this keyless chuck is manufactured by Shopsmith, or if this chuck is an off the shelf chuck from another brand and just mated to an adapter (JT3 mount perhaps) to fit the Shopsmith. I notice there is no Shopsmith logo on this part # 556273.
You are correct. It was not included because I do not have one, although I should have mentioned it as I did with the 1st version of the 1/2" Router Chuck P/N 505597. JPG may have that Router Chuck if he bought one later in the 60's for his Goldie.

As was commented on above I do not believe either of the two current Drill Chucks are made by Shopsmith. The earlier ones were Jacobs Chucks and one Cushman Chuck. They have items made by other suppliers including those out of the US.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Keyless Drill Chuck should be included as a Shopsmith Drill Chuck. I have not found a need to this point to have a Drill Chuck larger than 1/2" as is all other Drill Chucks from the makers of the Shopsmith in the past. Someday I may get one and can then update the Drill Chuck picture but for now it will be only the 1/2" Drill Chucks. Below is Shopsmith's picture of the 5/8" Keyless Chuck for reference.
556273 Keyless Drill Chuck.jpg
556273 Keyless Drill Chuck.jpg (16.45 KiB) Viewed 26716 times
As for the question of who makes this chuck the answer comes from Shopsmith's online catalog for the Keyless Chuck.
Manufactured especially to Shopsmith's stringent specifications, this rugged, smooth-acting chuck cuts bit-changing times significantly -- feels like quality in your hand -- and delivers the kinds of performance you would expect from any Shopsmith product. It's a real “beauty”.
Sorry I do not have a picture of the 1st version of the 1/2" Router Chuck P/N 505597. I have only seen it in a catalog and for sale with a Mark VII.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Expertly done my friend. Valuable documentation helpful to all.

Thank you for putting this together!

Everett
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There will be an update coming for the arbor information. I recently found a ½” Wheel Arbor P/N AK-1003 which Shopsmith sold. I believe they bought these from another supplier (note the part number) and repackaged them. It looks like a common 1/4" shaft wire wheel arbor but not as cheap as some I have seen/owned. I think this was a replacement for another function of the 1/2" Universal Arbor other than using as a Shaper Spindle which is what the 1/2" Universal Arbor was changed to. Because it is different than other arbors in that it does not directly attach to the 5/8" spindle I will include it in a separate miscellaneous category. Also I do not have the keyless Drill Chuck still so it will get a mention in the miscellaneous category too. Pictures to come.
Russ

Mark V 520
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Russ, Every time there is an update to this post I always go back and look over those photos again. They are truly inspiring and if they were mine, would be on a couple of display shelfs in my house.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Thanks Wiley,

Actually the arbors and others are only staged for the pictures. They are stored in a tool chest. Some of the more current ones are the ones I use since I only have 1 of them and others, mainly the older ones, are saved for historical value. Someday when my daughter and grandkids move and their stuff is no longer filling up my "storage" building I hope to make displays for them to go on the wall of what will than be my "shop" building.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry I am unable to upload the current Arbors PDF document as the program says
The uploaded file is empty.
It is the same problem I was having trying to put the updated one in the original post. I will get it back up as soon as I can.

It has been corrected on April 6, 2020
Russ

Mark V 520