Never to Old to Learn

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Never to Old to Learn

Post by dusty »

I am one lucky person. I AGAIN learned a lesson that should have been ingrained long ago. I still have my finger but I easily could be on my way to the emergency room. I was just out using my Crafters Station (without the lower saw guard). I was cutting some very shallow kerfs. Just one of those quick and east tasks that doesn't require a lot of setup. Decided to use the Crafters Station rather than the Mark V which was setup for other work.

I was all done and reached under the table to switch it off. About six inches from the blade is the switch. You guessed it. I got bit by the unprotected blade. Not at all what it could very easily have been BUT....it was a wake up call.
20190719_053423[1].jpg
20190719_053423[1].jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 21713 times
Not a good picture but it should be a good reminder.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Never to Old to Learn

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Yikes ... that could easily have been a whole lot worse! :eek:

I've never seen a Crafter's Station in person, but that switch-to-blade spacing sounds like a dangerous setup. Can it fit a lower saw guard?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Ouch,

Thanks for sharing, And always remember, no bleeding on company time. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

I do believe it is about time for that Crafters Station to get a remote turn off/on switch. Rocklers has them for $30 bucks. $30 bucks seems like a pretty good investment to keep your fingers ...

https://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

You could also go the power strip route with individual switches. Every saw I have is connected to a power strip like that because I have kids that might come into the shop from time to time, they are not likely to know to turn both the strip and the saw on to run. For me it is a piece of mind thing, just once more step in the direction of safety. Of course I always tell them to never turn anything on unless an adult is there, but having been a kid once in my life I still remember being a kid, they don't always listen...lol...a little bit of a PIA at first, having to remember to turn on the strip first, but really it is just automatic now, don't even think about it anymore
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

This is a good lesson for us because it is sort of a back door lapse of safety concern. Most of us focus on the risk of the execution of the task, like keeping a healthy distance between our fingers and a spinning cutter during the operation. This one bites us through a back door where the lack of putting the proper guards in place causes the injury when we are simply turning the machine off, an action we perceived to have little to no risk.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

sehast wrote:This is a good lesson for us because it is sort of a back door lapse of safety concern. Most of us focus on the risk of the execution of the task, like keeping a healthy distance between our fingers and a spinning cutter during the operation. This one bites us through a back door where the lack of putting the proper guards in place causes the injury when we are simply turning the machine off, an action we perceived to have little to no risk.
I am curious what a lower guard for the Crafter's Station looks like. How is it attached?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dusty,
You are indeed lucky it didn't come out worse. Was it because it was "quick" task that you decided not to use the lower blade guard? A good reminder for all of us, at your expense, not to take shortcuts when setting up. Looking at the picture the switch is very close to the blade.
Idaho Falls 3.jpg
Idaho Falls 3.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 21654 times
For those who do not know about the Crafters Station it is like a Power Station with a bar for the carriage mounted to hold the 510 main table.
1 Power Station - 2 Crafter's Station
1 Power Station - 2 Crafter's Station
Power Station Crafters Station.JPG (17.23 KiB) Viewed 21654 times
JPG,
The blade guards are the same as the 510/520/M7 guards.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
sehast wrote:This is a good lesson for us because it is sort of a back door lapse of safety concern. Most of us focus on the risk of the execution of the task, like keeping a healthy distance between our fingers and a spinning cutter during the operation. This one bites us through a back door where the lack of putting the proper guards in place causes the injury when we are simply turning the machine off, an action we perceived to have little to no risk.
I am curious what a lower guard for the Crafter's Station looks like. How is it attached?
The lower guard (as well as the upper) is the same as a Mark V Model 510 guard.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chapmanruss wrote:Dusty,
You are indeed lucky it didn't come out worse. Was it because it was "quick" task that you decided not to use the lower blade guard? A good reminder for all of us, at your expense, not to take shortcuts when setting up. Looking at the picture the switch is very close to the blade.

$matches[2]For those who do not know about the Crafters Station it is like a Power Station with a bar for the carriage mounted to hold the 510 main table.

Power Station Crafters Station.JPGJPG,
The blade guards are the same as the 510/520/M7 guards.
Yes, very, very lucky. Yes, it was a very stupid short cut. I could very easily have given away a finger. All done for expedience. All superficial. Not even any swelling.
20190719_114011.jpg
20190719_114011.jpg (516.28 KiB) Viewed 21633 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

wow...that was a close call. Glad it was no worse, and thanks for the safety reminder.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser