It speaks volumes doesn’t it?
0DE13173-DA4E-4B04-BDD9-8B24B36FE258.jpeg
0DE13173-DA4E-4B04-BDD9-8B24B36FE258.jpeg (122.7 KiB) Viewed 16800 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Come on, admit it. It has crossed your mind

Post by RFGuy »

Too funny. :)

It's not just Home Depot and Lowes...I am still in search of a quality lumber yard in the Phoenix market. As big of an area as it is here, I would have thought it would be easier to find quality, straight lumber (for a price).
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Is Spellman Hardwoods a good source or too pricey?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

everettdavis wrote:Is Spellman Hardwoods a good source or too pricey?
Thanks. Yes, Spellman is good from what I hear, but it is a big outfit geared more for contractors and production shops. Last time I went there, they tended to discourage hobbyists like myself from wandering the warehouse to check out what was available. Basically you go in there with an order, they pull it and give it to you. So, you can't do your own board selection for a project as an example.

Woodworkers Source is a pretty good outfit here (caters more to hobbyists), but the last batch of 8/4 cherry that I got there was too wet and curled within days of bringing it home. I need to purchase a moisture meter and take it with me to the lumber yard to check next time, but I just haven't bought one yet.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Shawn
Silver Member

Post by Shawn »

That's pretty funny. Their plywood comes from a similar source.

This is an online store that may be worth checking out. I prefer buying in person, but this may have items not locally available for some.

https://www.bellforestproducts.com/
Mark V 520 Table System with Jointer, Band saw, Planer, Strip Sander, Biscuit Joiner and DC3300 Dust Collector. DeWalt palm sander, Ryobi 12" sliding miter saw, and hopefully many more items to come.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

LOL That has to be a better tree then the one they got our last boards from !
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

RFGuy wrote:Too funny. :)

It's not just Home Depot and Lowes...I am still in search of a quality lumber yard in the Phoenix market. As big of an area as it is here, I would have thought it would be easier to find quality, straight lumber (for a price).
Being in the boonies out east of Snowflake, finding any hardwood lumber source is a chore. Spellman in Flagstaff is one. Been to the one in PHX. The difference is night and day. But, a bit out of your way. Ive had good luck with Timbers Woodworking in Mesa. (935 E. Southern). Decent variety of domestics and fairly priced. And, the best prices I've found for BB.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Gene Howe wrote: Being in the boonies out east of Snowflake, finding any hardwood lumber source is a chore. Spellman in Flagstaff is one. Been to the one in PHX. The difference is night and day. But, a bit out of your way. Ive had good luck with Timbers Woodworking in Mesa. (935 E. Southern). Decent variety of domestics and fairly priced. And, the best prices I've found for BB.
Thanks Gene. I had heard of Timbers but thought they mostly sold woodworking machinery. I'll have to stop by there and check on their lumber selection. Good to know.
📶RF Guy

Sterling
Gold Member

Post by Sterling »

RFGuy wrote:
Gene Howe wrote: Thanks Gene. I had heard of Timbers but thought they mostly sold woodworking machinery. I'll have to stop by there and check on their lumber selection. Good to know.

I’m sure my brother, skou, will chime in here, but Timber is the best, most reasonable speciality lumber and working tool store in the east part of the Phoenix valley.

I’m a bit biased. I’ve been using the place for years.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

OK, Sterling has been taking woodworking classes
at local high schools, they're adult ed classes, and
most students attend every semester, just to have
LARGE tools to use. One of the classes has a Wood-
Mizer bandsaw mill. I have donated my work as the
teacher's mechanic, quite a few times. The teacher,
was at Timber, getting some stuff, and one of
the store employees mentioned they needed a mechanic,
to assemble and repair tools. Teacher told Sterling,
Sterling told me, and I asked the teacher, to put in a
good word with the owner.

I walk in the door, meet the owner, and he says,
the teacher says you are good, can you start tomorrow.

3 months ago, on Christmas. GREAT company, but I
may be more biased than Sterling!

I still owe said teacher a
case of my homebrewed pumpkin spiced Hefeweisen.
(Can't brew it until the weather cools down to 64
degrees F, as a high.)

steve
Last edited by skou on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.