What has happened

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Re: What has happened

Post by garys »

There is good news. Harbor Freight still sells the little pencil soldering irons for $4.99 and the larger gun style irons for $24.99. Those of us "old school" people can still get the tools we want.
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I used tape to layout a pcb, covered the copper clad with photo resist, cured it, exposed, developed, etched and drill. Only after all of that did i solder. Who cares, it almost 4 decades ago. Kinda like the story about how kids couldn't use a rotary dial phone. Most land line networks don't allow them so who cares.

Lot of old fart going on here.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

P89DC wrote:I used tape to layout a pcb, covered the copper clad with photo resist, cured it, exposed, developed, etched and drill. Only after all of that did i solder. Who cares, it almost 4 decades ago. Kinda like the story about how kids couldn't use a rotary dial phone. Most land line networks don't allow them so who cares.

Lot of old fart going on here.
"Old farts" are wise enough to care. ;)

Try explaining to a 'kid' that the letters on the rotary dial are NOT for texting. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

JPG wrote:
P89DC wrote:Lot of old fart going on here.

Try explaining to a 'kid' that the letters on the rotary dial are NOT for texting. :D
"Wise"? That made me laugh!
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

P89DC wrote:
JPG wrote:
P89DC wrote:Lot of old fart going on here.

Not surprising. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Harbor freight here closes at 8pm it wans't a option. old farts are smart enough to know ya go broke spending your money on foolish things trying to impress the girls . never mind !
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JPG wrote:
P89DC wrote:
JPG wrote:

===

:D
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

JPG wrote:
P89DC wrote:
JPG wrote:

Lol, you think you're smart because you still know how to use a rotary phone. As if you have a rotary phone to show kids how stupid they are. That is what being an old fart is all about! ;)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

P89DC wrote:
JPG wrote:
P89DC wrote:
Lol, you think you're smart because you still know how to use a rotary phone. As if you have a rotary phone to show kids how stupid they are. That is what being an old fart is all about! ;)
I still have a rotary phone. Until about 10 or 12 years ago when I still had a land line in the house and no cell phone, if the power went out and all the wireless home phones were dead (no power) all you had to do was plug in "the stupid rotary phone" and make a call. They do not require electricity, they get their power from the phone line itself.

The picture is a late 80's early 90's rotary phone. They didn't change from that until they mostly wen away.

The "stupid" rotary phone was a giant leap from it's predecessor in the day. When I was a kid there were no rotary phones. You picked up the receiver and the operator would answer. You gave her the number (ie. Salt Lake City 1234) and she (yes they were all female) would manually connect you.

The rotary phone was as big of an improvement then as the cell phone was when it first came out.
Attachments
20200102_163521.jpg
20200102_163521.jpg (419.47 KiB) Viewed 11556 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »