Greenie "A" Headstock Owners - a little help please

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Greenie "A" Headstock Owners - a little help please

Post by chapmanruss »

Everett and I are trying to figure out when the Gilmer Drive changed to the clutched version. If you can post the S/N and if it has the non-clutched or clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly for your 1954 or 1955 Mark 5 Greenie that will help narrow down when the change took place. This is a change that does not appear on any list we have seen. Thanks in advance for your help.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Re: Greenie "A" Headstock Owners - a little help please

Post by WileyCoyote »

Russ, I have always assumed my April 1955 greenie had the clutch. I took the cover off today and can see the drive but am unsure how to tell if it has a clutch or not. Is there an easy way to determine if it has the clutch, short of a complete tear down? I took photos of what I could see if that could help.
Thanks,
Wiley
Gilmer 1.jpg
Gilmer 1.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
Gilmer 2.jpg
Gilmer 2.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Greenie "A" Headstock Owners - a little help please

Post by chapmanruss »

That is the problem with our request. It is harder to tell without having the Drive Sleeve Assembly out of the machine. Look at the end of the gear towards the aux. shaft end.

If you can see on the edge of the Gilmer Gear part, as shown by the arrow in the picture below, the indents there would indicate the clutch. Also the clutched one has the set screw locking collar next to the gear. The collar is the part of the clutch that is locked to the shaft. The collar's diameter is smaller than the gear. The clutched Gilmer Drive Sleeve Assembly has over a dozen parts. Most of the parts you do not want to ever see unless you absolutely have to take apart the assembly to make it work correctly again.

The non-clutched Drive Sleeve does not have a separate collar, just the Gilmer Gear with a set screw that holds it to the shaft between the two bearings. I believe the set screw is in the gear teeth area. There is a retaining ring between the front bearing and gear that is not easy to see without disassembling it. This one has 6 parts.
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve - arrow.jpg
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve - arrow.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.