Wood shop fashion

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Wood shop fashion

Post by JPG »

Working with wood, usually what ever I had on upon entry to the shop(quite variable).

Will put on the denim ss apron when messing with dirty machines.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

garys wrote:I wear my regular clothes while my original Shopsmith apron hangs on the wall in the shop. I never remember to put it on.
+1
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I generally wear jeans and a tee shirt plus a sweatshirt if it is cold.

Ed, you said this that made me think of something my wife told me the other day.
Felt strange shopping yesterday in a mask. A year ago they would have thought that you were there to rob the place in a mask. So what do robbers wear now?
My wife works at a Credit Union. Someone wearing a medical type mask with a"hoodie" wanted to come into her branch. He was refused because he would not take off the mask or put down the hood so he would be identifiable so he went away. The next day he came back but was again refused access because he would not take off the mask or put down the hood so he left. Later my wife found out that person had then robbed bank in the area and admitted he had tried to get into her Credit Union branch to rob it. Credit Unions and Banks are supposed to require persons entering remove masks and other face coverings to be identifiable to the security cameras. This is to make it a safe place for all who are there.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

I sometimes wear my pants and maybe even a shirt. Never work when it's below 55 degrees.
Dickg1
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

If I'm "Shopsmithing" I wear the Shopsmith apron. It's perfect for holding the 5/32" allen wrench. If that thing isn't on my body at all times, I end up wasting more time looking for where I laid it last.

Tape measure goes in the belly pocket. Safety glasses (with cheaters) goes in the middle upper chest pocket. I modified a side upper pocket into a pencil pocket.

I've yet to find a good way for it to carry a try-square or combination square.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

When I was in the Air Force I worked on the flight line. No aprons there. Then I retired and worked for the Air Force repairing/overhauling aircraft generators. We were provided either a smock or an apron. My wife wore the smock. I wore the apron. The apron was olive drab cotton with criss cross shoulder straps that tied around the waste. The great feature was the front was split from the crotch down to form two "legs". There were two straps on each leg to secure them loosely so they stayed on the front of your legs. Very light weight and kept you clean. A very nice design for what we did.

Now in the shop I wear (most of the time) the short cream colored SS apron with all the pockets. Criss cross shoulder straps and a waste strap with quick disconnect. Lots of pockets for pencils, small squares, marking knife, etc.. Other than that jeans and a T shirt.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

robinson46176 wrote:Who here wears an apron in the shop?.
I fall in line with most of the replies in that I rarely remember to wear my Shopsmith apron. I have a canvas thing with pouches like a leather nail belt that I wear if I am using a lot of fasteners but generally stick with boots, Carharrt jeans and a sweatshirt in the shop.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

Years ago my wive made me two denim aprons and I`ll wear them more than not. But never at the lathe. They have open pockets, big open pockets.
Paul B
farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

The wife got me one of these aprons a while back https://www.amazon.com/Waxed-Canvas-Hea ... 56&sr=8-15

I's been nice to have a small square, the dust collector remote, and a pencil on hand at all times. I tend to wear it more now that I put a little hook on the back of the shop door.
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

My wife got me one of these for my birthday. It takes 8-10 weeks for it to be made so still waiting for delivery but I am very eager to try it out.

https://www.txheritage.net/classic-shop-aprons