Getting Your Stimulus Check

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Getting Your Stimulus Check

Post by jsburger »

I have been watching my bank account. No check. Ed and Gene both said in another thread they got theirs. I have always had direct deposit with the IRS. So hmmm... For many years we have gotten a refund thanks to the two rental properties we have in Sacramento. This year we didn't have enough maintenance deductions so we owe $695.

I went on the IRS site to check on my check status and it said I was eligible but they needed my direct deposit information for the best way to get the check. Huh, I have had direct deposit with the IRS for years. :confused: :confused: I called my CPA who does my taxes. Turns out the IRS does not retain your direct deposit info from year to year. So, since I owed this year, the direct deposit info was not included in this years tax return.

Bottom line, if you have had direct deposit before for a refund but now you owe go on the IRS web site and fill in the information. Otherwise you will be waiting for a paper check.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Getting Your Stimulus Check

Post by garys »

Maybe. If you are on Social Security, they are tapping into that database to get bank informaiton. From what I read, the Social Security recepients that don't have direct deposit at the IRS, but have it at Social Security should expect their deposit starting next week after they finish the IRS database and move on to the SSA one.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I too have not received a stimulus deposit but then I have my deductions set so that I always pay (no refund). But, it has been said that SS recipients needed to do nothing to receive their stimulus by direct deposit. My AF pension and my SS benefits are deposited monthly and have been for many years. So what's up. This is beginning to smell a bit like a Government undertaking. I'll bet that the IRS could find me if my taxes were delinquent. That reminds me, - my 2019 tax payment came out of the bank about a week after I filed.

Thankfully, the kids and grand kids all received their stimulus checks.

When I use the IRS website it says:

PAYMENT STATUS NOT AVAILABLE, According to the information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

I did read somewhere that if you used third party agencies (TurboTax) to file that the IRS would not have the required data for direct deposit.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:Maybe. If you are on Social Security, they are tapping into that database to get bank informaiton. From what I read, the Social Security recepients that don't have direct deposit at the IRS, but have it at Social Security should expect their deposit starting next week after they finish the IRS database and move on to the SSA one.
OK, but what I said still applies if you are not on Social Security. My CPA mentioned something about that and Veterans (me) and VA compensation trying to link all that. Doesn't matter, if you go to the IRS web site and put in your direct deposit info hopefully all those delays will be shorter.

Either way, we don't really need the money but it will pay my state tax bill so all is good. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I too have not received a stimulus deposit but then I have my deductions set so that I always pay (no refund). But, it has been said that SS recipients needed to do nothing to receive their stimulus by direct deposit. My AF pension and my SS benefits are deposited monthly and have been for many years. So what's up. This is beginning to smell a bit like a Government undertaking. I'll bet that the IRS could find me if my taxes were delinquent. That reminds me, - my 2019 tax payment came out of the bank about a week after I filed.

Thankfully, the kids and grand kids all received their stimulus checks.

When I use the IRS website it says:

PAYMENT STATUS NOT AVAILABLE, According to the information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

I did read somewhere that if you used third party agencies (TurboTax) to file that the IRS would not have the required data for direct deposit.
When was the last time you checked? There were problems early on. My CPA said that he had the same problem for his check when I called him today.

You should get a page that asks for your SSN, address and ZIP. Click continue and it comes up saying you are eligible but more info is needed to do a direct deposit.

The IRS apparently uses their own database. They don't interact with Social Security and DOD retirement data bases. You know, kind of like DEERS. If you don't update DEERS things can get messed up.

As I said in my original post the IRS does not store your direct deposit information. Since you always owe there is no direct deposit info on your tax return.

SS recipients probably don't have to do anything. It will just take longer if your direct deposit info is not on file with the IRS THIS YEAR.

The bottom line is if you haven't filed your taxes yet or you are not getting a refund the IRS does not have your direct deposit info.

"This is beginning to smell a bit like a Government undertaking." These are unprecedented times. Nobody alive today has been through anything like this. Thank God your government is standing up and trying to help in ways never seen before.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

Post by RetiredNavyChief »

My and wife’s check will deposit on 4/22. Retired Navy, still working full time and on Social Security.
PowerPro, 500 Shopsmith,Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, JointMatic, 16/32 Performax Drum Sander, Strip Sander, Shopsmith Planer with Shelix Cutterhead, Shopsmith Pin Router, King 16 inch Scroll Saw
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Dusty, we used Turbo Tax and our check hit the bank on the 15th.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Again, if you don't get a refund THIS YEAR and don't have it DIRECTLY DEPOSITED the IRS will send you a paper check whenever. They DO NOT retain your direct deposit info from year to year.

Dusty said he always owes. That is why when I went on the web site they wanted my direct deposit info since I owe this year for the first time in a long time.

Your direct deposit info is is only submitted and retained by the IRS for the current year.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

jsburger wrote: Your direct deposit info is is only submitted and retained by the IRS for the current year.
I came to the same conclusion a couple of days ago when I went to the new IRS site to see where my $$ was, since a friend of mine got his earlier in the week. Here is my situation in a nutshell: I've been a Turbo Tax user for a decade and a half and almost every one of those years have been eligible for some refund, which means that every year the IRS gets my direct deposit info; I have also been a Social Security recipient for nearly 10 years so, again, the government has my direct deposit info...BUT...last year we sold some timber and when I filed taxes in Feb I discovered that I owed a little more than had been withheld. OK, so I sent the IRS the money and there was no need to provide the direct deposit info. Well, then...when the stimulus was announced I figured all was good since the government and I had been pen pals for a long time. But when I checked the "where's my money" site lo and behold the IRS acted like we'd never met! So, I submitted my direct deposit info once again. The site said "thanks" and my payment would be processed soon. As of this evening, 48+ hrs later, still no money But handing out money to the whole country is a big job, and I can wait my turn.

I think it is good that the IRS has set up this new site for folks who did not get a refund this year. Otherwise, I never would have realized that they did not keep my bank information from year to year.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I feel lucky , we both got ours,, and for once we were not last in line lol
I am told all of the SBA money is now gone no more loans or grants , was told many large corporations filed for millions each . I have no problem with helping the large corporations because we need them , but how many of them were not owned by our country ? how many of those that are owned here are dependent on foreign countries for supplies ? just like the past many small business will go under and are going under at a alarming rate , Just a FYI to all the non believers ,when this is over be ready for a major increase in shipping rates and every thing that goes along with it , a major part of the independent trucking families are being hit hard , very hard , many will not survive and the large corporations will have to deal with issues not even known about , the large fleets cant even keep toilet paper on the shelves right now , I was told a lot of meat suppliers are destroying animals and burying them because the packing factories are now closed ? thousands of hogs are being destroyed ,I know a lot of folks who would buy those and they would not go to waste ? I don't believe we have even scratched the surface of what is to come or the waste we are about to witness by the large companies , not to mention the recession and the infra structure collapse we are about to em barge on .
Some of the older folks who survived the depression ,,and what followed,, have a better sense of how to survive then the new cant live with out a cell phone society . Hope you folks all get your checks ans soon .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)