Deal? DeWalt - 20V MAX XR Brushless Cordless Compact Router

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Deal? DeWalt - 20V MAX XR Brushless Cordless Compact Router

Post by reible »

One of the things on this years budget is a cordless router. I've been trying to decide which one I want. The process has been slow since it is not only the router that you buy into but also the battery system.

I have been looking at the Dewalt one that is pretty much the same as the corded one I have. The plunge base is the same so that made it appealing but the battery and charger have been a sticking point.

Woodcraft has the router for a sort of regular price, ie that means I have seen if for less..... But they also have a deal right now and through the month of May that makes me thinking that this is going to happen for me.

The deal:
FREE Battery & Charger When You Purchase This DeWalt Cordless Router Now Through May 31, 2020

Of course there are a few catches, like it ships after May 15, they charge you shipping and of course for me there is sales tax. So while it is more then I had set aside I still think I will go for it. For me that is $226.29.

I will at some point want a second battery but not a rush. I might even be able to live with one depending on how long it lasts for me and how fast it will charge.

You can check it out at:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/20v- ... sku=874024

If you already have the charger and batteries this is not a deal.....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
claimdude
Gold Member

Re: Deal? DeWalt - 20V MAX XR Brushless Cordless Compact Router

Post by claimdude »

Ed,

I have had the 611 corded version of this router for years and have been very happy with it. I predict you will like this one as well.

Jack
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Found this as recond at dewalt $32 ????
https://www.dwodus.com/?msclkid=241d7b3 ... 803bb0fb3a
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I don't know the current DeWalt lineup well, but this Woodcraft offer looks like a good deal to me. It shows a 20V, 5.0Ah battery AND charger as being free which is a significant value, i.e. not a small battery capacity. I have only purchased a few power tools from Woodcraft, but I was surprised how fast my orders arrived from them (almost Amazon Prime speed of execution).

If there were two DeWalt tools you wanted to buy, Toolnut has an offer of getting two free batteries and the charger with those two tools. Only useful if you want to buy more than this router.

https://www.toolnut.com/dewalt-dcw600b- ... -only.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Check other manufactures. Check battery prices!
Ridgid offers lifetime battery replacement if the battery is bought in a kit.
They also make a highly rated trim router. Also check Makita and Bosch they both make very highly rated trim routers.

Dewalt traditionally has the highest battery prices, often a single battery will cost more that a kit with tool, charger and battery. That can be true for most manufactures but Dewalt is usually the highest.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have placed my order.

I have the plunge base and the dust port options for my 611 and while I can't find it right now I think I have an edge guide (all purchased April 2012). I find I use a plunge base a lot more then a fixed base so what ever cordless I would have purchased it would have to have that with it or as a not too expensive option.

I'm not to concerned about the expensive batteries as I feel they will out last me at this point in my life. And like I mentioned, I might even try to live with only one battery at least for a while.

Some think to look forward to mid month.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:I have placed my order.

I have the plunge base and the dust port options for my 611 and while I can't find it right now I think I have an edge guide (all purchased April 2012). I find I use a plunge base a lot more then a fixed base so what ever cordless I would have purchased it would have to have that with it or as a not too expensive option.

I'm not to concerned about the expensive batteries as I feel they will out last me at this point in my life. And like I mentioned, I might even try to live with only one battery at least for a while.

Some think to look forward to mid month.

Ed
The Lithium Ion batteries are so much better than the old Ni Cd's it is like night and day. I had a Dewalt brush drill with NiCd batteries. The batteries did not hold a charge over time and the brushes finally wore out. I also had to replace them in a short period of time. A couple of years ago I went shopping. Dewalt was fine so I looked at the brushless kit with the drill and impact driver. You got two batteries and charger. At the time if you bought the tools individually each one came with two batteries and a charger. That is what I bought and ended up with both tools, 4 batteries and 2 chargers. It was less than buying the kit and 2 more batteries and a charger.

The batteries last a LONG time and do not discharge sitting on the shelf. I have had my spare batteries sitting for almost a year and the charge indicator still says they are fully charged. I probably actually would have been fine with the kit and only 2 batteries.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I gave all my old nicad tools to the restore, these new batteries are so much better, like night and day.

I wish dewalt had a 23 ga battery nailer. Another thing I'd like to find this year. These things are also expensive, clunk another $200.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The router with battery and charger has shipped. Should be here Tuesday the 19th.

Ed