Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

Beeto,

I'm glad you enjoyed the information on the Shopsmith Model 10's. Thank you for asking questions here. As you can see from this forum there is still interest in all the Shopsmith tools. As you now know I restore Shopsmith tools as a hobby and resell most of them. I do have a bit of a collection of tools and accessories I have kept. Most of the Shopsmith's I have bought to restore I have found locally on craigslist and all the restored Shopsmiths I have sold have been done through craigslist. The Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER are still sought after by user not so much as a collectors item. There are few that may be considered a collectors item. To me the Model 10E's I have with serial numbers 1033 and 1077 are more collectable since they were in the original order of 250 ever made. 1077 is already restored and 1033 is in the process of restoration. If needed I would use them for a project but they would be last in line for use and I currently have a Mark 7, Mark V 520 and a Model 10ER I can use before needing the 10E.

As for selling your Model 10E there will be things an informed buyer will be looking at. These apply to any used Shopsmith being sold. Is it running, what is its condition and how complete is your Shopsmith. Buyers, unless they are like me and are looking for a restoration project want to get a tool they can start using. It is also better to not have to go "shopping" for parts needed to use it. Even for restorations I do look at how complete it is so I do not have to go looking for replacement parts. When I sell a restored Shopsmith it comes with all the parts and accessories it came with when new from the factory. Another consideration for potential buyers is are there any extra accessories with it. Popular accessories for a Model 10 include a Speed Changer and/or a bench with the Shopsmith Retractable Casters. Depending on how the buyer wants to use the Shopsmith other optional accessories can help the sale. Luckily for you, You are an informed seller and will be able to answer questions about your Model 10E.

One final thing about selling a Shopsmith is, this is not the place for doing that. This forum is provided to us free of charge for the exchange of information and not for advertising tools and accessories for sale. The company does give us quite a bit of leeway on what is discussed here as they realize it is of value to them that information can be exchanged and questions can be answered here. They do allow us to refer others to buying parts on the used market. In the case of the Model 10E and 10ER, Shopsmith (RLF Brands) no longer sells parts for them with only two exceptions, the Quill Bumper Ring and the Quill Return Spring which is still the same part used on a new Mark V 520 and Mark 7 made today. I always highly recommend checking here first on the Shopsmith website when looking to purchase any current part or accessory. Just this morning I found current items for sale on ebay that will cost you more than buying new from the factory.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I am happy so many of you enjoyed this thread about the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER plus their related tools. I hope many of you will enjoy the continuing story in my new thread titled "Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where."
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

One of the hardest things now when dealing with different part versions is which order they came out. There are time lines we know but others we don’t. The Extension Table and Tailstock assemblies have some variables in the time line that are hard to determine when they were made. I know some of the following information has been covered in this thread before but I am trying to fill in the blanks.

As for the Tailstock I know the order of each version that came out. I have owned Model 10’s with the first three versions and have seen version four on 10ER’s with known serial numbers. The first two were for the Wood Extension Table with the first having a threaded stud and square pin followed by the second with two threaded studs. The square pin in the first one appears to be pressed in and I have not been able to remove one without the fear of damaging it. I don’t want to risk damaging one making it unusable. The threaded studs can be removed. Although the casting of the first two Tailstocks are essentially the same as P/N 104-1, the original one comes as an assembly with the square pin P/N 104-2 installed or at least that is how I have gotten them. Because I have not had the square pin out of one, I do not know if it is threaded or not for the lower hole. The other two versions were for the Metal Extension Table. The only difference between the two is the later does not have the vertical rib on the side opposite the bracket guide. That fourth version came out about a year before the Model 10ER was discontinued.

The Table Bracket has had four versions that I have found. The first is for the Wood Extension Table and was used on both the first 2 Tailstocks. The second and third versions were the 7-1/2” long brackets one with elongated holes to mount the table to and the other with round holes. The last version, number 4, is the 9-1/2” long bracket with elongated holes for mounting the table to. It is the order of the second and third versions I am unsure about and I’ll explain why later. In the picture below are the four Brackets.

_
104-6R to C 2336 Extension Table Brackets.jpg
104-6R to C 2336 Extension Table Brackets.jpg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
_
The table itself started out as a wood table with mounting holes done two ways which was discussed in an earlier post. There are two Metal Extension Table versions. The common aluminum table and the rare cast iron table. It is the order of the release of these two metal tables that puzzles me. It would be easy to say the cast iron was a prototype and the reason there are so few of them. I only know of three still in existence. I have one, John has one and there has been one for sale off and on for some time on ebay. This is where it gets confusing as all three have the Bracket with the elongated table mounting holes if I am remembering John’s correctly. The one I have has the 9-1/2” long bracket and it came from 10ER S/N E53583. It appears from the information I have gathered that the Eastern Plant was changing to the longer Extension Table Bracket around that time. I don’t know the actual length of the other two but the one for sale looks like it has the 7-1/2” bracket. I’m sure John will add in which bracket his has. The Table Bracket with round holes is not a commonly found one. It would make sense that it was version two and the 7-1/2” bracket with the elongated holes was version three followed by the 9-1/2” bracket again with elongated holes. But if that is the case and the cast iron table was a prototype than it should have the 7-1/2” bracket with the round holes instead of the elongated holes. Of course, the problem of parts getting mixed around between different versions of the Shopsmith Model 10’s over the years does add to this confusion. It is entirely possible that the cast iron table I have did not originally come on the longer bracket. I don’t know how relevant this is now but mine was last from Ohio, the one for sale is in California and John is in Utah and can add where his came from. Of course, part do migrate as sellers’ part out Shopsmiths to fill the need for replacement parts.

Final thoughts I wonder about regarding the extension tables is why the cast iron one is narrower at 3” wide. Also, why was a cast iron extension table even made since the main table was aluminum. Unfortunately, the answers are probably lost forever unless found in some Magna documents that Everett may uncover.
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Mine has the short bracket with the elongated holes. I got mine on eBay years ago and I don't remember where the seller was located. At the time it was the only one I had ever seen. The only ones I know of are the ones you mentioned plus one more. The owner is/was a member and he contacted me with some questions. He had one. I saw the picture but I don't remember who it was. So that makes four.
Attachments
20200614_115947.jpg
20200614_115947.jpg (77.34 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
20200614_115921_HDR.jpg
20200614_115921_HDR.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

Thanks for the update on yours and that a fourth one is out there.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I guess there is still more information on the Model 10E and 10ER to talk about. In another thread the discussion of the Table Riser came up and which of the two versions came first. That thread was the one titled

New to Me Model 10E Serial Number 1077

and the Table Riser discussion can be found at the link below. It starts with John's post on May 3rd.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21347&hilit=table+riser&start=10

Below is one of the Table Raising Assemblies. It was part number 123-1X. There were variations made to this assembly during their time in production.

_
Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg
Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg (150.43 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
_
The picture below shows the more common Crank and Arm Table Raising Assembly parts. Sold as an assembly it was part number 142-1X. Notice there were two versions of the Crank Handle. The one on the left is the early version.

_
Table Raising Assembly 142-1X.jpg
Table Raising Assembly 142-1X.jpg (148 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
_
Questions arose during the discussion as to why the Carriage has always had the ½” threaded hole for either the common Table Raising Assembly, Crank and Arm version or the mounting bolt hole for the less common Table Raising Assembly. It is there from the very beginning on the first Model 10E’s made. Both S/N 1033 and 1077 have that threaded hole. The early Model 10E’s did not come with any Table Riser. In looking at Patent Application Drawings for the Model 10 there was a Table Raising Assembly planed but different than either of the two actually made available. Below is a picture of the Patent drawing showing the Table Riser concept that was not used.

_
Model 10 Patent Fig 3.jpg
Model 10 Patent Fig 3.jpg (42.75 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
_
It is interesting that the concept was more like the common Crank and Arm type Table Raising Assembly than the less commonly found Table Raising Assembly. Both provided the same function but similar to the concept in the Patent drawing the Crank and Arm was the simpler one to use and more commonly found. So, if you have read the discussion on the other thread which came first? I do believe it was the less common Table Raising Assembly even though the Crank and Arm is more like the concept in the Patent drawing. An early Model 10E Accessory catalog with an unknown date shows the Table Raising Assembly P/N 123-1X. In the May 1949 Accessory Catalog, the Crank and Arm Table Raising Assembly P/N 142-1X is shown. Both types are listed as Table Raising Assembly but with different numbers. Later the Crank and Arm type came as a standard item with the Model 10’s. At that point it no longer showed up in the Accessory Catalogs but could be purchased as replacement parts as shown in the Owner’s Manuals.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

So with all the talk about Model 10 accessories how did I neglect having a section on one of the most popular accessories made for the Model 10E and Model 10ER. Well it is time to change that. Although it has come up in discussions it really hasn’t been covered all that well. Of course, I am referring to the Speed Changer. It was one of the early accessories made available for the Model 10E. I am not sure just when it was introduced but is in one of the very early accessory catalogs having an unknown date. It is in the later May 1949 accessory catalog too.

Just like the Model 10’s it too went through changes during it’s time in production. One of the first was a change to the floating sheave in the pulley. The original ones did not have a sleeve that extended beyond the edge of the floating sheave like later ones had. A noticeable change was to the scale going from 0 to 8 changing to 0 to 5. This change had no effect on the speed range since only 0 to 5 was used on even the early 0 to 8 scale. A very simple change was the way the screw crank assembly came mounted from the factory in later Speed Changers. Moving the crank away from the headstock side of the mounting “ears” also moved the crank away from the headstock’s way tube lock. A simple improvement that can be done on any of the speed changers. Another change was the type of snap ring used to hold the pulley arm on to the main casting. All Speed Changers function the same and the changes didn’t affect that. It still has a range from 425 to 6800 RPM’s when properly adjusted. Below is a PDF of the speed chart and below that is a PDF copy of one of the Manuals for the Speed Changer.

_
Speed Changer Chart.pdf
(6.21 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
_
A couple things to know about using the speed changer. Lubrication of the pulley is important both for the oil lite bearings riding on the shaft and the center floating sheave moving back and forth on the sleeve. A good light weight oil will work well. On the end of the crank assembly is a lock nut that holds the springs and end hub in place. Do NOT over tighten the nut, the springs should not be compressed. The nut that holds the speed changer to the headstock on the set screw should not be over tightened either. It is only there to keep the speed changer next to the headstock. Moving the headstock with the nut too tight can cause the main casting of the speed changer to break. Although the Manual says setting the Pulley Assembly is a factory job there is no factory to do that adjustment anymore. Remember these were made more than 67 years ago. To be properly set one belt should be low in the pulley but not touch the sleeve and the other belt should be even with the top of the pulley assembly.

Well, I led off with a big build up on this subject but there isn’t all that much I can really tell you about the Speed Changer. Maybe the best part of this entry is having the information in one section. I know from time to time there are some users needing or wanting the manual and/or the speed chart linked above.

The Speed Changer is still one of the most popular accessories made for the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Did you know there were 6 different Table Inserts made for the Model 10E and 10ER? The first and most common was the Saw Blade Insert (P/N 130-8 & 12 361) that came with all Model 10’s. It has an opening of 8” by 5/8”. There were two Dado Inserts made, one with a smaller slot at 6” by 1” for the 6” stack Dado Blade set only and another with a larger slot at 7-5/8” by 1-3/16” that could also be used with the Magna 8” Wobble Dado Blade (P/N 124-1 & 12 360). The Dado Inserts could also be used for Molding operations unless the knives were too wide in which case a home-made wood insert was recommended. I have not found any reference to a Molder Table Insert and the previous sentence is information from the Molder Instructions. Two versions of the Table Insert for the Jig Saw (P/N 134-45 & A 2235) were made. The first had the closed keyhole opening followed by the open keyhole Insert. A blank Insert (P/N 125-1 & 12 362) was available for use when having no hole was desired or for making custom Inserts. It is a cast aluminum Insert like all the other Model 10 Inserts. The last insert made for the Model 10’s was the special Shaper Insert (P/N 12 363) with a 2” hole through the center for Shaping or Routing with a 2-5/8” step down for Drum Sanding and using the 2-1/2” Jointer Cutter Head. It included guide pins like the current Mark V/7 Shaper Table Inserts. It could be used for free hand routing and shaping using the guide pins or with the Shaper Fence commonly known as the one for the Mark 5 or Mark V 500 with the original table system. That Shaper Fence first came out in 1953 while the Model 10ER was still in production and the Mark 5 was in still in conception and engineering prior to production. It was made to fit both the Model 10’s and the Mark 5 tables. It replaced the functions of the original Jointer-Shaper Fence made to attach through the table insert opening on the Model 10’s. That Jointer-Shaper Fence may be considered a 7th Table Insert since it replaces the Table Insert when used.

When looking at the part numbers given with the inserts remember that all part numbers changed in November of 1951. With that in mind changes to the Dado and Jig Saw Inserts are version changes and not related to the part number changes. Many parts had changes made to them while still using the same part number. The special Shaper Insert has only one part number since, I believe, it came out with the Shaper Fence in 1953 after the part number change.

In the picture below are the different Model 10E and 10ER Table Inserts. If anyone knows of any additional OEM Inserts, please post a picture of it with any information you have about it.
_
table inserts.jpg
table inserts.jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
Russ

Mark V 520
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Just came across a 10e with serial number E7465. Is there a chart with approx age/time line when these were made?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There is not chart available for when a particular Model 10 was made. Most of it is guesstimates based on things we know about the Model 10's. Serial Number E7465 would have been made in the Eastern Plant that started production after the first Model 10E's came out to help with demand and supply the Eastern half of the US. It was likely made in 1948.
Russ

Mark V 520