Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

I mentioned the list I have made of Model 10's before. These are tools I have either see in person or ones I have seen enough pictures of to be able to identify them. The first thing on my list is the serial number and which of the 3 Logo Plates it has. I include it's location and where found. More specific to the tools is which version of the Headstock, Base, Headrest, Extension Table, Tailstock, Fence, Blade Guard, Lathe Arm, Belt Cover and Trunnion it has. These are generally easy to visually identify. Which Way Tubes or Table Posts it has is something that is not easily identifiable from pictures. Other parts require disassembly to find out so I only have that information on tools I have owned. It is from my list that I can generally see when many changes occurred. It is information from owners like you Ron that help fill in blanks. I would be willing to bet Your 10ER S/N 94997 has the last version of the parts I list on my chart unless something was replaced with an earlier version. It happens.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

One of the problems identifying when accessories or changes came out is with the pictures that accompany the descriptions in catalogs. An example can be seen in the May 1, 1949 4-page Shopsmith Accessories catalog. On page 1 it has a listing for the Miter Gauge Extension mounted on the later Miter Gauge. Page 2 has the Front Table Extension with the early Miter Gauge on it. Page 4 has the Miter Gauge Stop Rod mounted on the early Miter Gauge. From this example I can only guess that the later Miter Gauge was already being supplied with new Shopsmiths but older pictures were still being used in the catalog. This is an issue that had occurred for many years in the catalogs and something I have noted before. Another example would be the Drum Sander which still showed the original machined Aluminum version through the 0151 Accessory Catalog. After that the “picture” is too small to tell if it is the cast aluminum version for sure until the 1954 Accessory Catalog. The machined aluminum Drum Sander is less common which leads me to believe they were not produced as long as the Model 10 cast aluminum version was. The cast aluminum Drum Sander changed at the end of 1953 from a ¼” set screw to the current 5/16” set screw. All possible set screws in accessories for the Shopsmith tools changed in late 1953 to set screws using a 5/32” Allen Wrench. This was in anticipation of the introduction of the Mark 5 and having only 1 tool, the 5/32” Allen Wrench needed for changeovers. There were some exceptions to the set screw size and still are today.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Another thing happening about the same time was the standardization of socket (allen) screws. You never see a new version of those unusual screws from the past. Case in point, the cap screw that tightens the shaper fence. Originally they were 1/4" cap screws with a 5/32 allen socket. In order to keep the 5/32 allen socket screw they had to go to the smaller(3/16?) cap screw. I think that was a mistake.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I had mentioned in my opening post about the Model 10ER I got for free from a person using the best parts from a 10E and a 10ER. He had put the Metal Extension Table on the Wood Bracket and Tailstock. He kept the 10E Headstock for his along with many of the 10E parts. Below is a picture of his Model 10 with the Metal Extension Table on the Wood Bracket and Tailstock. In the foreground is the one I received with the old wood on the Metal Bracket and Tailstock. Notice on his he used a Knob and Stud in the upper Stud and Wingnut hole of the Tailstock.
metal table on wood bracket.jpg
metal table on wood bracket.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 10039 times
It is possible to use the Base Plate Knob and Stud Screw in place of the Tailstock Stud and Wingnut. These varied slightly in length and with a washer the slightly longer ones will work as shown in the picture below. I believe this is what Everett was showing in one of his documents about different part versions.
Tailstock using Knob.jpg
Tailstock using Knob.jpg (250.77 KiB) Viewed 10039 times
Until this week that was the only time had seen someone use the Metal Extension Table on the Wood Bracket and Tailstock. Right now, there are two Model 10E’s for sale set up that way. One is for sale near Eugene OR and the other is for sale near Everett WA. Notice the in the second picture for the one from Everett WA it is using a Mark 5 Extension Table which is even stranger. It still has the Model 10 Main Table and early Fence without the rear lock.
10E 5188 Metal table on wood bracket.jpg
10E 5188 Metal table on wood bracket.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 10039 times
10E 4994 Metal table on wood bracket.jpg
10E 4994 Metal table on wood bracket.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 10039 times
Now from my experience the Bracket and Tailstock assembly for the Wood Tables is not as stable and accurate as the one for the Metal Table. So why not change the whole assembly as was made available in the Metal Extension Table Up-grade Kit. Somewhere there is a Metal Extension Table Bracket and Tailstock to go with them. There is not a lot of extra miscellaneous parts available. Except for extra parts from Shopsmith’s upgraded at the time they were being made all the individual parts for sale now had to come from complete units.

As a final note the Model 10ER I received for free was restored using correct parts for it.
Russ

Mark V 520
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Speaking about extension tables, what have you found on the cast iron extension table? They are very rare. I have only heard of maybe 2 or 3 besides the one I have.
Attachments
Cast Iron 1.jpg
Cast Iron 1.jpg (223.94 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
Cast Iron 2.jpg
Cast Iron 2.jpg (236.16 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
Cast Iron 3.jpg
Cast Iron 3.jpg (341.66 KiB) Viewed 10038 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

There is one listed on ebay at the moment, They think very highly of it $$$, and the pictures are very grainy.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-STEEL-Shop ... SwTztevsVC
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rpd wrote:There is one listed on ebay at the moment, They think very highly of it $$$, and the pictures are very grainy.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-STEEL-Shop ... SwTztevsVC
That one has been on and off eBay for a long time for the same price. Everything that seller lists has a premium price.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

You know more about them than I do since you have one. Besides yours, the only one I have seen pictures of is the one for sale on eBay Ron provided the link to. He (Karen's husband) has been trying to sell it off and on for a long time. Best guess, as we previously talked about, is that they were a prototype Metal Extension Table made when preparing to change from the wood one. One thing I noticed on both yours John and the one on eBay is the Bracket. Both have the adjustable one with oval slots for the mounting bolts. Is yours the Bracket that came with it? Below is a picture of the 4 different Table Brackets I have had. Note the 2nd one. Also they are in the order I believe that they came out based on the Serial Numbers they came with.
104-6R to C 2336 Extension Table Brackets r.jpg
104-6R to C 2336 Extension Table Brackets r.jpg (193.84 KiB) Viewed 9970 times
The 2nd one with the round mounting holes is not a common one as far as I have seen.
Russ

Mark V 520
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

chapmanruss wrote:John,

You know more about them than I do since you have one. Besides yours, the only one I have seen pictures of is the one for sale on eBay Ron provided the link to. He (Karen's husband) has been trying to sell it off and on for a long time. Best guess, as we previously talked about, is that they were a prototype Metal Extension Table made when preparing to change from the wood one. One thing I noticed on both yours John and the one on eBay is the Bracket. Both have the adjustable one with oval slots for the mounting bolts. Is yours the Bracket that came with it? Below is a picture of the 4 different Table Brackets I have had. Note the 2nd one. Also they are in the order I believe that they came out based on the Serial Numbers they came with.

The 2nd one with the round mounting holes is not a common one as far as I have seen.
Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but the bracket on the one John has appears to be the type 4 (long) bracket, If so it would possibly indicate it being late in production rather than early.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:John,

I know we discussed this before. I just thought I would put a post in this thread that is all inclusive of all things Model 10.

Yes, that is the bracket it came with. It is the third one from the left in your picture (7" long).
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT