Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Post by jsburger »

rpd wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:John,

You know more about them than I do since you have one. Besides yours, the only one I have seen pictures of is the one for sale on eBay Ron provided the link to. He (Karen's husband) has been trying to sell it off and on for a long time. Best guess, as we previously talked about, is that they were a prototype Metal Extension Table made when preparing to change from the wood one. One thing I noticed on both yours John and the one on eBay is the Bracket. Both have the adjustable one with oval slots for the mounting bolts. Is yours the Bracket that came with it? Below is a picture of the 4 different Table Brackets I have had. Note the 2nd one. Also they are in the order I believe that they came out based on the Serial Numbers they came with.

104-6R to C 2336 Extension Table Brackets r.jpg
The 2nd one with the round mounting holes is not a common one as far as I have seen.
Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but the bracket on the one John has appears to be the type 4 (long) bracket, If so it would possibly indicate it being late in production rather than early.
You were posting at the same time as I was. No, my bracket is the 3rd one, 7" long.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

jsburger wrote:
rpd wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:John,

You know more about them than I do since you have one. Besides yours, the only one I have seen pictures of is the one for sale on eBay Ron provided the link to. He (Karen's husband) has been trying to sell it off and on for a long time. Best guess, as we previously talked about, is that they were a prototype Metal Extension Table made when preparing to change from the wood one. One thing I noticed on both yours John and the one on eBay is the Bracket. Both have the adjustable one with oval slots for the mounting bolts. Is yours the Bracket that came with it? Below is a picture of the 4 different Table Brackets I have had. Note the 2nd one. Also they are in the order I believe that they came out based on the Serial Numbers they came with.

104-6R to C 2336 Extension Table Brackets r.jpg
The 2nd one with the round mounting holes is not a common one as far as I have seen.
Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but the bracket on the one John has appears to be the type 4 (long) bracket, If so it would possibly indicate it being late in production rather than early.
You were posting at the same time as I was. No, my bracket is the 3rd one, 7" long.
That clears that up then, :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JimJimJim
Silver Member

Post by JimJimJim »

I purchased a 10er #81734 from the original owner yesterday. I'm trying to upload photos of it, but am havin' issues. The tubes on this one seem thick and the extension table is aluminum.

I don't have a standard saw blade arbor for it. Any suggestions?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JimJimJim wrote:I purchased a 10er #81734 from the original owner yesterday. I'm trying to upload photos of it, but am havin' issues. The tubes on this one seem thick and the extension table is aluminum.

First welcome to the forum. All of your questions will be answered here.

For pictures, see the "How to Post a Picture" topic at the top of this forum.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JimJimJim
Silver Member

Post by JimJimJim »

I've got it backwards..
Badge.jpg
Badge.jpg (468.89 KiB) Viewed 10085 times
extention table.jpg
extention table.jpg (393.14 KiB) Viewed 10085 times
end tubes.jpg
end tubes.jpg (424.39 KiB) Viewed 10085 times
Unit.jpg
Unit.jpg (511.39 KiB) Viewed 10085 times
Thanks for the help.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Nice looking machine with a speed changer. Those are worth $150 by themselves. It should clean up very nicely. Search the forums, lots of pictures of refurbished Model 10's.

This is a picture of one that I did. 4 more to go.
Attachments
IMAG0329.jpg
IMAG0329.jpg (121.96 KiB) Viewed 10079 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JimJimJim
Silver Member

Post by JimJimJim »

That's amazing; too pretty to put to work.

I'm going to pick up belts for the speed changer tomorrow.

Can I use the dado arbor for one blade table saw work, or do I need a standard shorter arbor?

The one on the right is a 1/2" shaper adapter. The other is the dado saw arbor the machine came with.

There's all sorts of odds and ends I have no idea where they go or do.

I always was intrigued by these machines and I wanted a big disk sander and drum sander then the 10er popped up during a drum sander search and here we are...
arbors.jpg
arbors.jpg (527.41 KiB) Viewed 10072 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JimJimJim wrote:I purchased a 10er #81734 from the original owner yesterday. I'm trying to upload photos of it, but am havin' issues. The tubes on this one seem thick and the extension table is aluminum.

Congratulations, and welcome aboard.

At that time there wasn't a dedicated saw arbor, there was just the 5/8" universal arbor. (and a 1/2" universal arbor)

The universal arbor came with three spacers, two thin and one thick, only two of which would be used at a time, (one thin and one thick for a saw blade, two thin for dado blades or thicker accessories.)
10erarbor1.JPG
10erarbor1.JPG (162.48 KiB) Viewed 10049 times
10erarbor3.JPG
10erarbor3.JPG (176.85 KiB) Viewed 10049 times
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JimJimJim
Silver Member

Post by JimJimJim »

Sweet. That's what I have. Thank you very much.
Now I'm looking at bowl turning videos. I was curious about the face plates.
I had no intention of turning bowls....
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JimJimJim wrote:Sweet. That's what I have. Thank you very much.
Now I'm looking at bowl turning videos. I was curious about the face plates.
I had no intention of turning bowls....
The file in this post has a list of resources for the 10E/ER. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 87#p268987

Download the manual, and most especially the file for Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone, which covers all the different functions of the 10ER in detail.
Ron Dyck