Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Moderator: admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

Everett,

As we know there were many changes to the Model 10's during their production. Other than the 2 Way Tubes being used instead of a single post the Headstock does look and function like a Drill Press and as you point out the prototype used just that. Using off-the-shelf parts where possible would make startup on a new tool easier. Changing from off-the-shelf to their own designed parts would explain some of those changes. The change in the Quill Collar was done as additional accessories were made for the Shopsmith Model 10E. The Mortising Attachment can fit on the Quill if the original Collar is moved back to expose the end of the Quill to clamp the Mortise onto. This does reduce the Quill's travel for drilling and repositions the arbors in relationship to the table slot unless moved back to it's original position after the Mortise is removed. The redesigned Quill Collar has it own clamping space and eliminated these issues. If the original Quill Collar was an off-the-shelf part the redesigned Collar was an improvement for the Model 10E. The Depth Gauge itself is another item that looks like something from a Drill Press. It was likely from that same off-the-shelf supplier as the Collar.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. 10E S/N 1033 & Mark 2 to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

When I started this thread, I called it Shopsmith Model 10’s What When and Where which I believe I have covered pretty well but a good reporter covers the what, when, where, why and how. The why for the Shopsmith I believe is well known. Hans Goldschmidt saw a need for a tool for the home user. Something compact and multifunctional. Now I want to cover the how. In this case how many Model 10E and 10ER were actually made. In one article I have read Skip Campbell had estimated around 125,000 Model 10 were made from 1947 until their production ended in 1953. Skip knows a lot about the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER including the history. His research started long before mine did. The information I have gathered leads me to believe there were many more units made than he estimates. Using the serial numbers I have seen more than 45232 Model 10E’s were made and more than 111971 Model 10ER’s were made. That’s more than 157203 Model 10’s made provided there are not gaps in the serial numbers used. Below are the numbers I used from what I have seen for each group of serial numbers.

10E Western Plant S/N 1033 to R30389 with 29356 units made
10E Eastern Plant S/N E1921 to ER17788 with 15876 units made
45232 total 10E’s made
10ER Western Plant S/N R31007 to R68189 with 37182 units made
10ER Eastern Plant S/N ER18361 to E59927 with 41566 units made
10ER both Plants S/N 69236 to 102459 with 33223 units made
111971 total 10ER’s made

According to the Shopsmith Sales History from Book titled "How to Write a Winning Business Report" By Joseph Mancuso, 117197 10ER’s were sold in the fiscal years from 1949 – 1950 to 1953 – 1954. That’s over 5000 more Model 10ER’s made than I can document. Of course, there are serial numbers outside the number ranges I listed above. Some of those numbers could make up for the difference between my number and the Shopsmith Sales History number for the 10ER. So how many Model 10’s were made? We may never know the actual number and I have no real estimates for those made outside the US. Remember they were made by a company in Australia too.

I am glad to see there are still so many around and working. What I do like best about the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER is their continued popularity after being out of production for almost 67 years now. I know others of you share my appreciation for these tools that were truly made to last.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. 10E S/N 1033 & Mark 2 to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I neglected to add this to the post above so, for those that haven't seen it attached below is the PDF of the Shopsmith Sales History.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I found something new today that relates to my last posts of how many. New Forum Member ramseyj1979 is restoring Shopsmith Model 10ER serial number 102499 which is the highest serial number I have now seen. Last week I saw pictures of Shopsmith Model 10E serial number 1012 which is the lowest serial number I have now seen. Although it does not change the number of Model 10's made that I can document that much, it is of interest, at least to me.
Russ

Mark V 520