My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Post by edma194 »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm
edma194 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:25 pm “plus now the variable speed drive on a Yuba RAS”
I forgot the SawSmith!
And yet they didn't bother with variable speed for the Sawsmith 2000 table saw. I don't mind because I have a 510 with a PowerPro also I can use as a table saw when blade speed matters. The RAS uses a simplified version of the speed dial system with a cam activator, that would have been a nice feature on the table saw.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

edma194 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:11 pm
thedovetailjoint wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm
edma194 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:25 pm “plus now the variable speed drive on a Yuba RAS”
I forgot the SawSmith!
"The RAS uses a simplified version of the speed dial system with a cam activator, that would have been a nice feature on the table saw."
For what function on the SS2K?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:16 pm For what function on the SS2K?
To change the blade speed. There's an ideal speed for every blade and material combination. The RAS has a narrower speed range that is suitable for a saw. It's not that important most of the time on a table saw, but I like having the control. I was cutting plastic recently and would have appreciated being able to lower the speed. It still worked fine on PVC and UHMW though, and I have another blade with finer teeth that probably would have worked better. I guess I'm just a 'variable speed freak'.

I love the DVR motor on the PowerPro but the price is very high. The various treadmill conversions look interesting because the motors cost much less. When I clear away a pile of other tasks I may try using one of those for something.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Chad
Platinum Member

STUMPED? Q&A: Shopsmith Speed Controls & a few I bet you've never heard of (Probably)

Post by Chad »

105.jpg
105.jpg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/rf6BGx_tqr0

I was thinking I'd covered all the various speed controls that Shopsmith (Magna, Yuba) used over the years, but after a few comments I realized that I missed a couple that many of you have never even heard of. In this we'll explore the Mark 2, the SawSmith radial arm saw and a rare tool that Magna made for Montgomery-Wards called the Powr-Kraft "DYNO-Shop". If you missed that last video, catch it here: https://youtu.be/BnZXpT_qHlE
Chad
Platinum Member

Kreg VS WEN Track Saw: The Perfect Companion for your Shopsmith?

Post by Chad »

106.jpg
106.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/cOgXabLu6fo

Well under $200 for the WEN and under $400 for the Kreg, but are they worth It?
Several weeks back our "Board of Directors" met for our monthly Zoom meeting and one of the things we discussed was the topic of stock prep of large stock, such as sheet goods. This video is the culmination of that discussion and features my sister Lisa (AKA: Lysol) as we compare two of the most reasonably priced Track Saws (AKA: Plunge Saw) on the market. Lisa and I both have Shopsmith-centric shops, and a reasonably priced track saw just bade sense to us both and it probably does for you too. The WEN saw is sold as the Titan and the Mac Allister by Screwfix in the UK. I look forward to your Questions, Comments, and Cheap-Shots in the mid-week follow-up, so be sure to leave something for me below.
Chad
Platinum Member

🔴 LIVE STUMPED? Q&A from Two Cheap Track Saws: Kreg VS WEN

Post by Chad »

107.jpg
107.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/W6TUDPidAto

This "special" LIVE episode was recorded while on the road on business and is the follow-up to the weekend video on two inexpensive Track Saws. If you missed that you can catch it here: https://youtu.be/cOgXabLu6fo

Well under $200 for the WEN and under $400 for the Kreg, but are they worth It?
Several weeks back our "Board of Directors" met for our monthly Zoom meeting and one of the things we discussed was the topic of stock prep of large stock, such as sheet goods. This video is the culmination of that discussion and features my sister Lisa (AKA: Lysol) as we compare two of the most reasonably priced Track Saws (AKA: Plunge Saw) on the market. Lisa and I both have Shopsmith-centric shops, and a reasonably priced track saw just bade sense to us both and it probably does for you too. The WEN saw is sold as the Titan and the Mac Allister by Screwfix in the UK.
Chad
Platinum Member

Shop Psychology: Getting "Unstuck" & Back to Work!

Post by Chad »

108.jpg
108.jpg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 1626 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/Nqu6pEgTvQI

In this video I chat a bit with my sister "Lysol" about a project that I've struggled starting, but that I'm determined to get completed in the next two weeks. Am I alone in this?
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

I’ve been meaning to make this video for quite some time. Seriously, “Analysis Paralysis” is real and devastating. I mentioned that I wanted to start making woodworking videos with my Mark V when I interviews for my current job in 1999! It turns out that the best way to start something is to start!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

:) I would call that glass thingie a "chimney".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

How to Make Fast, Perfect Wooden Circles

Post by Chad »

109.jpg
109.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/sP4bZaW6vqo

There are so many interesting projects that need precise circles, such as tabletops, toy wheels, decorative items, and functional items such as these hurricane lantern candle bases. This simple, fast and safe process is as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, repeat.

1️⃣ Mark the center location and draw a circle with a compass. Don't skip this step by tracing a circle from another round object, because you'll need
that center location in step three.
2️⃣ Cut the circle slightly oversized on the bandsaw.
3️⃣ Drill your center location with a hole that will accommodate your pivot point. I used a 5mm dowl because that's what I had on hand, but you can
pivot on any size dowel or pin as long as the hole doesn't cause problems with your project. If your circles are wheels for a toy, use a hole that will
later match your axel size, for example.
4️⃣ Use your Mark V's sanding disc to sand the wooden discs to the exact size, pivoting on a pivot installed on a piece of scrap clamped to the main
table. I typically make the first one very carefully and set the depth stop for all successive discs.

🔴 Subscribe to the channel here: https://tinyurl.com/xz44rxmu