My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Carter Narrow Blade Stabilizer on Shopsmith Bandsaw. Is It Worth It?

Post by Chad »

66.jpg
66.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jiH89ng7A&t=263s

In this video, we install a Carter Products Blade Stabilizer on a Shopsmith bandsaw and do a little playing around with a couple narrow 1/6" and 3/16" blades.

This set was loaned to me for testing by Carter Products. This is just one of several upgrades that Carter Products has for your Shopsmith bandsaw and are available directly from them on their site: https://tinyurl.com/CarterProductsSS​ (This is NOT an affiliate link)

The pattern for the 3D reindeer can be found on Matthias Wandel's awesome site: https://woodgears.ca/reindeer/plans.html​

Visit http://www.MyGrowthRings.com​
Follow on Instagram @MyGrowthRings
I also blog at http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith-...​
and http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot...​

A few viewers have requested I provide affiliate links to help them find the products I use and as a way of supporting the channel through commission. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, there is no additional charge to you. I always recommend shopping around for a better price. Thank you for supporting My Growth Rings!

#CarterProducts​ #ShopsmithBandsawUpgrade​ #CarterBladeStabilizer
Last edited by Chad on Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Scott's My Growth Rings youtube channel & website

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Link does not work!
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

Which link exactly? I know first hand that for some reason when you copy and paste links from Youtube into blog posts or onto forums that something weird can happen to them. The links are all found in the video description below the video on Youtube, so I would suggest you try them there. Here's the video link: https://youtu.be/35jiH89ng7A Scott
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:20 am Which link exactly? I know first hand that for some reason when you copy and paste links from Youtube into blog posts or onto forums that something weird can happen to them. The links are all found in the video description below the video on Youtube, so I would suggest you try them there. Here's the video link: https://youtu.be/35jiH89ng7A Scott
The link Chad posted worked for me but it is really long for some reason and shows a brief error at the beginning?

Chad's link:
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jiH89 ... ex=66&t=9s"

My Link:
"https://youtu.be/35jiH89ng7A?t=1"

Changing it to work with new forum SW: Have to add a start time at the end and the watchv?v= and change to "www.youtube.com" to get a thumbnail image to show up on this forum
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jiH89ng7A?t=1"

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Well that confirms that someone still uses the links posted in this forum page. I figured just about everyone had a youtube account, and/or had subscribed to Scott's channel by now. Goes to show that I and/or anyone should never "assume" anything.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

One issue is Chad and I had a chat early on when he started posting my videos here and I mentioned that when someone watches a embedded video off the YouTube platform that they miss all the excellent chat and the links that are referenced in the video description. I know that a lot of people on forums and on Facebook don't want to leave one platform for another, but watching YouTube videos outside of YouTube isn't as full an experience. It's similar to using a microwave to reheat a grilled cheese sandwich. Yes, it'll work, but it's not the same. So I asked Chad to share a thumbnail and a link to the video.

I have no doubt that this has cost me views. Scott

Scott Markwood Max Headroom.jpg
Scott Markwood Max Headroom.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed hasn't responded to say what problem he had with the link that was first reported, but like I said THERE is something wrong with the link that Chad posted on this particular video. I am only viewing the forum and YouTube from a WIN10 computer so this isn't an issue of someone browsing from their phone, different platforms, not being signed into a YouTube account, etc. IF I take the link from Chad (one after the text "Watch it here:") it DOES glitch and give an error at first on YouTube before it starts playing. When I posted about this earlier today, I just assumed that Ed had an issue playing that link just as I got an error before it started playing for me. It might be helpful for Chad to investigate the link that he posted. I think it is suspect and may not play for others depending on what platform they are on, what web browser or computer they use, etc. The link that I posted works fine.
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Chad wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:28 pm Well that confirms that someone still uses the links posted in this forum page. I figured just about everyone had a youtube account, and/or had subscribed to Scott's channel by now. Goes to show that I and/or anyone should never "assume" anything.
YouTube does not email notifications anymore. If one has a lot of subscriptions like I do their current notification system is useless.

I subscribe to this thread so I get notifications.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

I just checked, just as I always do when I post anything that contains a link(s), and the link to the video works (for me at home, and my workplace computer), as it should. I do not know what the issue is for Ed, but I can confirm that the link for the video I posted was copied and pasted exactly as it is shown in the address bar from google.

The only thing that is different that I know for sure is when I copy and paste the video description and paste it here. The Shopsmith forum only allows up to 10 links contained in a single posting. There for I do have to "cut" a few links from the actual video description from youtube to meet the requirements of the forum. It's a judgement call at that point for me. I try my best not to cut any video links mentioned in the description. I do however, usually have to cut the affiliate links for products that Scott recommends or uses in order to meet the "10 link max" criteria that this forum has.

Just to make it clear. Any links that are in a post for me are an exact "copy and paste" of the links from the youtube video, as well as the URL address of the video that appears in the address bar from the google browser I use. So far, this is the first time anyone has reported any issue with a video link I've posted on the Shopsmith forum.
Last edited by Chad on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Nevels
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

rlkeeney wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:00 pm
Chad wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:28 pm Well that confirms that someone still uses the links posted in this forum page. I figured just about everyone had a youtube account, and/or had subscribed to Scott's channel by now. Goes to show that I and/or anyone should never "assume" anything.
YouTube does not email notifications anymore. If one has a lot of subscriptions like I do their current notification system is useless.

I subscribe to this thread so I get notifications.
And if that works for you rlkeeney, and anyone else, then great! I honestly wasn't sure if anyone was using my posts on this forum to view the "latest and greatest" My Growth Rings video. So long as I don't get lazy (well, any lazier than I already am) or die, then I'll keep posting Scott's videos on this forum, and Nick Engler's as well. If you haven't been following Nick already, then I highly recommend you do!

Nick Engler's Workshop Companion youtube channel and website: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23891
Chad Nevels