My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Post by RFGuy »

rlkeeney wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:25 pm I watched all the jigsaw videos and didn't see anything that would get me to buy a jigsaw. In fact, I owned a new in-the-box clone that came with a Shopsmith I bought and I practically gave it away to get it out of my garage. I currently own two scroll saws. If I did not own these scroll saws, I would not buy a jigsaw to do scrolling. Like you, I think the way to cut a large circle is with a router. A router can easily and accurately cut circles of just about any size. As for metalworking, I can see some benefit in using die files, but I don't do enough metalworking to justify the cost of the storage space. Unless Scott comes up with something I really need in the next video I'm not going to be in the market for a Shopsmith jigsaw.
Thanks for the feedback Rob. Much appreciated. Yeah, if I was ready to take on scroll saw type work, I am sure I would rather buy a scroll saw than the Magna Jigsaw. IF I already owned one then I can see the benefit of using it to do some of these other tasks, i.e. to get more use out of the tool. Since I don't own one though, I just don't see a compelling reason to run out and find a used one. Of course, in the next, and final, Jigsaw video this week perhaps will show how the Magna Jigsaw excels at slicing bread...then I might have to get one. ;)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would use the band saw for slicing bread. ;>}
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 pm I would use the band saw for slicing bread. ;>}

What size blade?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

beeg wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:47 pm
JPG wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 pm I would use the band saw for slicing bread. ;>}
What size blade?
:D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Files and sandpaper do much the same thing on wood and the like. It is not a metal only thing with files like these. You can also buy sanding sleeves and sanders that fit the jig saw. It also takes sabre saw type blades without the arm in place so it is quite the tool. They are a different animal then the scroll saw but they do have over lapping tasks.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:20 pm Files and sandpaper do much the same thing on wood and the like. It is not a metal only thing with files like these. You can also buy sanding sleeves and sanders that fit the jig saw. It also takes sabre saw type blades without the arm in place so it is quite the tool. They are a different animal then the scroll saw but they do have over lapping tasks.

Ed
Ed,

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they have the same sanding blades for scroll saws? I am just wondering what, if anything, makes this particular Jig Saw "special"...compared to a scroll saw. So far, I haven't seen anything compelling to convince me that I need to own one. I see no benefit in having a fixed base jig saw. I'd much rather have a portable one.
📶RF Guy

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

They do make sanding blades for scroll saws. You can make better ones yourself.

Scroll saw sanding blades are made by several companies, and you can find them in many places. They are a bit pricy and don't fit some scroll saws without modification. These are very easy to make.

All you need to make a sander for your scroll saw is an old saw blade, a piece of cloth-backed sandpaper, and some carpet tape. Cut two strips of sandpaper about 1/4-inch wide. Put carpet tape on the back and make a sandwich with an old scroll saw blade in the center.

I tried paper-backed sandpaper. It didn't hold up well. I have also tried various glues to hold them together, and nothing works as well as the carpet tape.

You will not get square edges sanding with this method. There will always be a slight curve.
Attachments
20171022 150651 Toymakers Shop Scroll Saw Sanding Blade.jpg
20171022 150651 Toymakers Shop Scroll Saw Sanding Blade.jpg (314.76 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Take a look here, a old post I did back in 2009 and shows two sanding options that a scroll saw can't do well.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4686

Keep in mind that the scroll saw has to have both arms attached to be used, the jig saw doesn't, the top is just a spring return if you will. So if you were to be doing a lot of inside sanding on a project the jig saw is much faster, no unattaching and reattaching between holes.

You can check out this post to see the files I have for my jig saw:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23300

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Sanding with a scroll saw does not do a good job it just works. It does not sand square and you still have fuzzies to deal with. The fuzzies are smaller but they are still there. I can't imagine how a jigsaw would better at sanding.

If you sanding a lot of inside cuts in your scroll work you are doing something wrong. Wrong blade, dull bale, cutting too fast for the blade you are using, and bad wood. In good quality hardwoods and even better grades of softwoods, you can get mirror-smooth cuts.

With modern quality scroll saws moving the blade to another hole is very fast. About ten seconds. This video is why I bought an Excalibur EX-21. This is very important if you are doing a production run or cutting portraits that may have hundreds of inside cuts.

https://youtu.be/bUC7wutR3A4

No jigsaw for me. I'll keep that money for a new Pegas or Seyco scroll saw.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
Chad
Platinum Member

Last vid from the Garage: Shopsmith Jigsaw as a Drum Sander

Post by Chad »

100.jpg
100.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/IMy0YpJl61o

One final "trick" that we can do with the Shopsmith Jigsaw (or a clone like this one) is to use it as a reciprocating sander. This is also the last video I'll be shooting in the garage shop, so be sure to catch the sneak-peek of our new temporary digs in my sister's basement at the end of this video.