My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Re: Scott's My Growth Rings youtube channel & website

Post by Chad »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:40 am
Yes, I know how to post that sort of video link on this forum also, RFGuy. And I did it that way in the beginning, but as Scott mentioned:

"One issue is Chad and I had a chat early on when he started posting my videos here and I mentioned that when someone watches a embedded video off the YouTube platform that they miss all the excellent chat and the links that are referenced in the video description. I know that a lot of people on forums and on Facebook don't want to leave one platform for another, but watching YouTube videos outside of YouTube isn't as full an experience. It's similar to using a microwave to reheat a grilled cheese sandwich. Yes, it'll work, but it's not the same. So I asked Chad to share a thumbnail and a link to the video.

I have no doubt that this has cost me views. Scott".

So, out of respect for Scott, I went back and edited my early posts of Scott's videos to just a thumbnail picture of the video, and the URL link to the video, and as much of the video description that this forum will allow (only 10 links max in a single post). That's leads us to the reason why I use the format that I use to post Scott's video's to this today. After all, I consider this Scott's forum page, not my own. I'm merely just relaying the information that Scott produces with his videos.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Chad wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:46 pm Yes, I know how to post that sort of video link on this forum also, RFGuy. And I did it that way in the beginning, but as Scott mentioned:

"One issue is Chad and I had a chat early on when he started posting my videos here and I mentioned that when someone watches a embedded video off the YouTube platform that they miss all the excellent chat and the links that are referenced in the video description. I know that a lot of people on forums and on Facebook don't want to leave one platform for another, but watching YouTube videos outside of YouTube isn't as full an experience. It's similar to using a microwave to reheat a grilled cheese sandwich. Yes, it'll work, but it's not the same. So I asked Chad to share a thumbnail and a link to the video.

I have no doubt that this has cost me views. Scott".

So, out of respect for Scott, I went back and edited my early posts of Scott's videos to just a thumbnail picture of the video, and the URL link to the video, and as much of the video description that this forum will allow (only 10 links max in a single post). After all, I consider this Scott's forum page, not my own. I'm merely just relaying the information that Scott produces with his videos.
Chad,

Thanks. Sorry, I am not trying to make a big deal out of it. Feel free to stick to the format that you guys agreed on. I don't fully understand how YouTube does URL's, but I think something is up with how you are copying and pasting. For example, your link is the 1st one below (https removed and www changed to wew to break the link for full display here). What are the "list=" and "index=" parts of the URL that you copied? Maybe there is something specific to your YouTube setup, e.g. do one of these refer to a Playlist that you have in YouTube for Scott's videos or something perhaps? This might explain why the URL gives an error at the start of playing but then goes ahead and plays. The second link below is what I get when I copy Scott's video URL (starting at time t=0). I don't object to your format in the thread, just the fact that this particular video link looks suspect and gives an error on clicking it. As you can see below the link that I copied and pasted for this one video is much simpler. What is all this extra "stuff" in your link???

Chad's Link:
//wew.youtube.com/watch?v=35jiH89ng7A&list=PLgS675HkgLNkQT7fgSagQR90HeVumJ_WB&index=66&t=9s

RFGuy's Link:
//wew.youtube.com/watch?v=35jiH89ng7A
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 pm Maybe there is something specific to your YouTube setup, e.g. do one of these refer to a Playlist that you have in YouTube for Scott's videos or something perhaps? This might explain why the URL gives an error at the start of playing but then goes ahead and plays. The second link below is what I get when I copy Scott's video URL (starting at time t=0). I don't object to your format in the thread, just the fact that this particular video link looks suspect and gives and error on clicking it. As you can see below the link that I copied and pasted for this one video is much simpler. What is all this extra "stuff" in your link???

"//wew.youtube.com/watch?v=35jiH89ng7A&list=PLgS675HkgLNkQT7fgSagQR90HeVumJ_WB&index=66&t=9s"

"//wew.youtube.com/watch?v=35jiH89ng7A"
Well, RFGuy, that could explain it. I have been using the URL from my youtube playlist of Scott's videos. I had to create a playlist so I could get a thumbnail of the video.

Early on I had a hard time finding a thumbnail picture of the video to put in my post for the video. So, I figured out that I could make the video thumbnail on youtube the youtube playlist thumbnail, and then save the thumbnail picture on my desktop, and then add the picture to my post on the Shopsmith forum. The trouble I found early on was that google didn't have a thumbnail picture of a video that was "new" either because of the short amount of time posted on youtube, or the amount of views wasn't high enough yet. I knew I wanted a picture of the video to go along with the video URL, because after all, who doesn't look at the picture first in the post, and then read the description? So, I found the "workaround" that I described. In my haste to post the video on this forum, I just clicked on the video in my playlist and used the URL. I've been doing it that way for months now, and have never had anyone report an issue, until this morning.

I also wait to post the Scott's video here on the forum. For example if Scott posted a video on Sunday or Wednesday evening/night, Eastern Standard Time (generally), then I wait until then next morning to post the video on this forum, and on the Shopsmith owners, troubleshooting, and welcome pages on facebook. This gives Scott time to go back and "fix" any mistakes or something left out of the video description (and that has happened in the past). So, I usually wait 8-12 hours just in case.

If you have a better way to get a thumbnail of a "new" video on youtube, then I'm all ears.

So, I will try to remember from now on to NOT click on the video in my playlist, and then use that URL. I'll go to the youtube home screen and click on the video, and then use THAT URL.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Chad,

Thanks. I appreciate what you and Scott are doing here. I don't know if the previous links had issues or not. I usually seek out Scott's videos manually on YouTube, but sometimes I forget to check and come across them on this forum with your posts to remind me. I was just trying to explain why that link wasn't working 100%. I went to try to grab a thumbnail from a YouTube video the other day so I know how much trouble it can be for a viewer to access it. YouTube kind of keeps them hidden. So, please do whatever is easiest for you in posting these on the forum.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:52 am Link does not work!
The link to carter products posted above in the forum. Used the link in YouTube and it worked fine but the one you included above to go to Carter’s products for SS products gives an error. Not sure why but it does. Figured you want to know. I think the link is one constructed and connected to YouTube so if you try to use it outside YouTube it goes to never never land.
This link will take you to Carter’s products Shopsmith upgrades
https://carterproducts.com/band-saw-pro ... th-bandsaw
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks to watching Scott's recent bandsaw video, this video below from David Stanton popped up in my feed thanks to the YouTube algorithm. Not a new video, but the first time I have seen bandsaw tires changed this way. This looks to be the best and easiest method that I have seen for this and I will definitely try this next time.

📶RF Guy

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

How to take a five-minute job and make it last for 2 hours. :D
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rlkeeney wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am How to take a five-minute job and make it last for 2 hours. :D
Well, if you got your bandsaw tires off the wheels and replaced them in only 5 minutes then my hat is off to you. As previous forum threads would indicate, as well as my own experience, it is a bit time consuming and very awkward to replace a tire, particularly if applying new urethane tires.
:(
📶RF Guy

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:17 pm
rlkeeney wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am How to take a five-minute job and make it last for 2 hours. :D
Well, if you got your bandsaw tires off the wheels and replaced them in only 5 minutes then my hat is off to you. As previous forum threads would indicate, as well as my own experience, it is a bit time consuming and very awkward to replace a tire, particularly if applying new urethane tires.
:(
He already had the saw disassembled and cleaned the wheel. The two hours I was referring to was to build a jig, not to mention fetching the materials.

I have installed six urethane bandsaw tires, two of the crappy orange ones, and four of the Blue Max tires. I struggled with the first ones, but once I figured it out, it didn't take long at all.

You put the tire as far on the wheel as you can easily get it and clamp it tight so it can't come off with clamps that will not damage the wheel or tire and will not pop off and go flying. I use handscrews for this.

Stop the wheel from moving. Some large spring clamps clamped to the bandsaw body did the trick for me.

Now it is just a matter of using the provided tool and your hands to stretch it over the wheel. If you are not strong enough to stretch the tire, that is another issue.

I have posted here about this before with pictures. You can search for it or see the photos here.

https://odinstoyfactory.robertkeeney.co ... smith.html
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

It'll take 5min each just to adjust those wooden handscrew clamps which is why I don't like or use them. Two of them were used in your picture so that is 10min just for the clamps.
;)
📶RF Guy