My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Scott's My Growth Rings youtube channel & website

Post by jsburger »

bainin wrote:I thought I had posted another question to the informed audience here-but I don't see it, or any answer to it...so I will ask again. Perhaps I dreamt it :)

On freehanding a board to determine the bandsaw drift, I'm always wondering if using a thin, soft piece of pine 2x4 affects the actual drift observed?

Normally-I do this step as above, then switch to resaw mode on something like 5" thick maple. Very different thickness/hardness than my setup board.

So- does the wood thickness/hardness affect drift? I haven't seen it mentioned in the short lists on causes of drift.

b
I use any piece of scrap I have. Usually 3/4" or so and never have a problem. It works fine on the SS band saw with 6" resaw capacity and my 14" Powermatic with 12" resaw capacity.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks John
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The thicker the workpiece, the more likely the blade will follow the grain.

OK tooth set and blade 'depth' affect whether it will cut parallel to the miter slot. Big enough set or skinny blade will cut along the miter slot direction easier.

With sufficient kerf and equal tooth set all this is academic.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

STUMPED? Q&A's from "Stupid Bandsaw Trick, Resawing & Straight Sawing with the Shopsmith Bandsaw"

Post by Chad »

21.jpg
21.jpg (11.84 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHYdzX3kPso

This video we will tackle Q&A's from my last video: "Stupid Bandsaw Trick, Resawing & Straight Sawing with the Shopsmith Bandsaw" which you can view here: https://youtu.be/5lqzmibP3vg

We received a BUNCH of questions from that video so thins is a long vid, and while I didn't tackle them all off the questions, I hope you find these answers helpful. Also, I totally forgot the trick that I tease at the beginning of this video. Sorry about that. We'll get to it in a future video.

Here are the questions and links to where they appear:

0:00 - Intro
1:07 - 10 degs of drift seems extreme
2:08 - No drift at all!
2:36 - There's no 5/8" tension on the gauge
3:04 - Will a blade drift differently under different tensions?
3:34 - Will listing the top guide encourage more drift?
6:17 - The miter slot isn't parallel to the blade
6:37 - A bandsaw trick... I FORGOT to film the trick!
6:52 - Any tips to maximize the old cast iron table?
7:07 - Using the miter gauge as a fence on the old cast iron table
9:45 - What blade do you prefer on the Shopsmith bandsaw?
11:52 - Shaker oval boxes resawn on the Shopsmith bandsaw
15:46 - Cast Iron table VS the Aluminum upgrade on the Shopsmith bandsaw
17:08 - Any advantage to bandsaw on the Mark V vs Power Station vs a Stand?
18:45 - Wasn't I being unsafe when resawing?
20:34 - Reaching over the table to turn saw off seems unsafe
22:08 - Cutting joints on the bandsaw sounds interesting
22:19 - Cast Iron table VS the Aluminum upgrade on the Shopsmith bandsaw (Again)
23:22 - The lost footage of why you might want to twist the blade

DISCLAIMER:
A few viewers have requested I provide affiliate links to help them find the products I use and as a way of supporting the channel through commission. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, there is no additional charge to you. I always recommend shopping around for a better price. Thank you for supporting My Growth Rings!

Products used in this video (in no particular order):
Timber Wolf 1/2" x 72" 4 TPI bandsaw blade for the Shopsmith bandsaw: https://amzn.to/34ShtU5

"Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone" book: https://amzn.to/355sqBU Be aware that there have been several printings, so make sure that the version you get features the tool you own.

Two options for a "Shopsmith Toolbox" AKA: Long 5/32 Inch Cushion Grip Hex T-Handle T-Key ball-end Allen (hex) wrench: https://amzn.to/3lAx7tg but a better deal might be this twofer deal: https://amzn.to/2Dj7ETO

#ShopsmithBandsaw #STUMPEDQandA #MyGrowthRings
Last edited by Chad on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

Man, how did that Q&A video to the original video become 10 minutes longer than the original video? And I forgot to film the “Trick” that I promised at the beginning of the vid. I’ve got to do better. Scott
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thedovetailjoint wrote:Man, how did that Q&A video to the original video become 10 minutes longer than the original video? And I forgot to film the “Trick” that I promised at the beginning of the vid. I’ve got to do better. Scott
Yeah ya still did not cut anything with the twisted blade!!!

As for the time . . . . "Why is there never enough time to do things the right way the first time, but, there is always time to do it over (and over and over. . .)? :D

Keep up the go . . .work! :cool:

So ya gonna start a "roots" series for "stumped" omissions? :p ?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

JPG wrote:Yeah ya still did not cut anything with the twisted blade!!!
Not true JPG. In the previous video Scott did cut a 2"X4" to demonstrate you make a square crosscut on a piece that is longer than the throat of the Shopsmith bandsaw, if the piece is narrow enough in width to saw all the way through.

10:03 - A WEIRD trick: Twisting the blade to crosscut a long board. I am NOT recommending this!
Last edited by Chad on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

thedovetailjoint wrote:Man, how did that Q&A video to the original video become 10 minutes longer than the original video? And I forgot to film the “Trick” that I promised at the beginning of the vid. I’ve got to do better. Scott
Eh, Scott, no one else is keeping score. No need to harp on the small stuff. You'll prefect your video production skills with time. Your content as a whole already more than make up for minor shortcomings. Besides, it's a holiday weekend. Chil-lax and then regroup. Remember, there's always the next video. Chad
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pcd7326 wrote:
JPG wrote:Yeah ya still did not cut anything with the twisted blade!!!
Not true JPG. In the previous video Scott did cut a 2"X4" to demonstrate you make a square crosscut on a piece that is longer than the throat of the Shopsmith bandsaw, if the piece is narrow enough in width to saw all the way through.

10:03 - A WEIRD trick: Twisting the blade to crosscut a long board. I am NOT recommending this!
But but but he did not do so in the 'stumped ' video that I was referring to. Why do I think Scott is both in NC and OH?? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

JPG wrote: Yeah ya still did not cut anything with the twisted blade!!!

As for the time . . . . "Why is there never enough time to do things the right way the first time, but, there is always time to do it over (and over and over. . .)? :D

Keep up the go . . .work! :cool:

So ya gonna start a "roots" series for "stumped" omissions? :p ?
By the time I added that forgotten clip to the video I realized it was running way too long so you were correct, I didn’t put the video showing to cut. I guess I can put out a very short edited “Shop Short” vid that covers just the twisted blade. I believe that “Roots” is already a thing...