My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Re: Scott's My Growth Rings youtube channel & website

Post by Chad »

rlkeeney wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:37 am
Chad wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:11 pm I copy and paste the links exactly as they appear in the video description from Youtube. What else should I do?
In YouTube click share and copy the link it shows in the box.
That's what I do when I post the latest video on this forum. I also copy and paste the links from the video description (maximum of 10 that this forum will allow). I don't know how or where else I can get those links from, other than from the video description on Youtube. I can just leave those out of my post on this forum, which is the cause of this whole discussion. I don't have any answer for why the links don't work on this forum that are directly copied and pasted from the video description on Youtube. Unless someone has the answer, my hands are tide. I don't possess the computer knowledge or skills to fix the problem, or where to begin to look for the answers.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 am Join and access links result in error 404. Perhaps the [...]?
That is the only link that doesn't work here. All the other ones work fine. At least all the ones I have tried. As JPG said , "Perhaps the [...]?"
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Chad wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 pm I can just leave those out of my post on this forum, which is the cause of this whole discussion. I don't have any answer for why the links don't work on this forum that are directly copied and pasted from the video description on Youtube.
Perhaps just leave those superfluous links off. I mean they are available from the YouTube post from Scott and they are an ad for him. I don't think there is much value in repeatedly re-posting those same links again and again here (especially if those links are broken). Just post the video link to YouTube when he posts a new video.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Chad
Platinum Member

STUMPED? Q&A from "Should you add a Magfence II V2 to your Shopsmith Bandsaw?"

Post by Chad »

82.jpg
82.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/SGvHp8arSiU

After playing with the Magfence II V2 that Carter Products sent me to try we had a few questions and I've also purchased a set of Carter's F.A.S.T. Blocks that we'll get into in detail in this upcoming weekend's video. Reminder, "STUMPED? Q&A" videos are public for one week and then become accessible to Members only.
Chad
Platinum Member

The Cure for Shopsmith Bandsaw Drift? Carter Products F.A.S.T. Blocks

Post by Chad »

83.jpg
83.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 2525 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/zowebUNyZvs

Carter Products F.A.S.T. (Fence Alignment System Tool) are an interesting and handy tool that are used to adjust a bandsaw fence to compensate for the natural drift. According to Carter:
"Did you know that a blade can change its angle as much as 18 degrees depending on where it rides on the top or bottom wheel? Multiply that over the length of the table and we have found most fences can be as much as 3/4" out of square. Trying to adjust a factory fence was tough so we made the MAGFENCE® II to make a fence easier and quicker to install and remove. But the question still comes up “How do you align it properly”. How do you align a 14" fence to a 3/4" blade? It's not just older eyes that have a tough time, poor lighting, shadows any number of things can make it tough to determine proper alignment. You can put a ruler on the table and hope you have it against the blade but not deflecting it or you can make it easy with the NEW F.A.S.T™. "Fence Alignment System Tool" from Carter Products.

The F.A.S.T. is a simple and easy magnetic design that allows you to place it on the blade and determine that you are in that sweet spot for accurate cutting. It has a notch for the teeth, so you can be sure you’re perfectly flat against the body of the blade every time. Remember if you’re within a 1/4" of square or better your results will be straight cuts. The F.A.S.T. also has a ruler for determining fence distance! The F.A.S.T. combo pack includes 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" bars to allow you to both precisely align the fence square to the blade, but also the exact distance from the blade to the fence. Magnetic bars can also be attached to each other to create any width desired between your blade and fence.

For easy storage, the F.A.S.T. system comes with an adhesive-backed foam drawer insert for easy organized storage. Likewise, being magnetic, the F.A.S.T. bars can also be attached directly to your saw for easy access.

The F.A.S.T. bars are also a great tool for set-up and confirmation of router bit depth by simply placing the desired depth of cut bar on either your router table or router base and adjusting the bit to the same height as the thickness of the bar."
Chad
Platinum Member

STUMPED? Q&A's from "The Cure for Shopsmith Bandsaw Drift? Carter Products F.A.S.T. Blocks"

Post by Chad »

84.jpg
84.jpg (25.18 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/VZhopcbHdnc

This episode of STUMPED Q&A is a follow-up to the video introducing the Carter Products F.A.S.T. alignment blocks. In this video, we not only answer the Questions, Comments, and Cheap-Shots from the video, but I also actually use the tool, which I should have done in the last video! Here's that video, in case you missed it: https://youtu.be/zowebUNyZvs
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

One bandsaw fence confusion I have is the variations i see on the lock mechanism . Not the pull down handle side, but the other side which grips the table itself as shown here.

I see on the last MGR video, your fence seems to be missing the aluminun bracket piece itself but the black hex? nut is in place.

On my fence, both the bracket and black hex nut are missing and there is only a hole which may be indicating that I might be missing some pieces :)

Were there different versions of the bandsaw fence ?

Why are you not using the bracket as shown in the image?

bsfence.JPG
bsfence.JPG (18.77 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
b
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Scott can say for sure, but I believe the early version locked only on the rail, and the later version locks on both the rail, and the table edge (opposite edge from the rail side). It is like the difference between a Mark V 500, and a 510 table saw fences. Does yours have the pull down handle? The early version did not.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks Chad - i think your description explains it. I must have the old version of the fence. It has a twist knob to tighten and no bracket.
bsfence1.jpg
bsfence1.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
bsfence2.jpg
bsfence2.jpg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 2420 times

Is the fence upgrade worth it ?

b
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I don't know if there was an "early" version or not. I thought I bought my fence when they first came out but maybe they had existed before I bought mine.That was in the mid 90's. I bought the band saw new with my then new 510 in 1994.

Anyhow, I bought my fence in 1995 or 1996 and it looks like the attached picture.
Attachments
20210429_154338.jpg
20210429_154338.jpg (68.22 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT