My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Post by JPG »

AIUI the power station needs 9/16" spacers. <<<<< ONES SHIPPED SEP 2021 ARE 7/16"

I mounted mine reversed so the foot pedal is operated from the outside of the end.(IIRC, only the pedal is reversed.

EDIT: Well maybe the shaft also!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

JPG wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:45 pm AIUI the power station needs 9/16" spacers.
Is there a photo of the spacers somewhere?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

DLB wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:13 pm I don't know that these guys sold a lot of Mark 4's in that video but I was worried that Scott advertising the Power Station (etc.) caster sets on sale might cause a run on them. IIUC these are the same as M5 casters plus adapter plates, someone that knows please confirm. And they are somewhat less pricey than standard M5 casters, which are also on sale but at a higher price. (Makes no sense if the caster assemblies are the same, but...)

- David
David, Mark 7 casters are regularly: $115.72 and are currently on sale for $81.00. SPT stand casters are regularly: $115.72 but are on sale for $46.29. If they are still made the way they were originally made, the peddle is a little closer to the center of the rotating shaft and therefore is a little harder to reach when mounted on a Mark V or 7. That said, if budget is an issue you can always mount the SPT stand casters on a Mark V or 7. Let the run begin! Scott
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

edma194 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:55 am Great episode and great crossover with the Nerdery show. Throughout the video I was in solid agreement with at least one of you all the time.
Thanks for watching, Ed. Scott
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

rlkeeney wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:15 pm
The photo on the site shows them. They are basically thick plastic washers. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... asters.htm
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:17 pm
rlkeeney wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:15 pm
The photo on the site shows them. They are basically thick plastic washers. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... asters.htm
Thanks, I see them.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The guys team up again to discuss that old subject, multi-purpose tools. No surprise which side they take.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Chad
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Joint-Matic as a Jointer and for Cutting a Mortise & Tenon

Post by Chad »

118.jpg
118.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 2476 times

My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/0LXnETD8kHo

Continuing on with our exploration of the Shopsmith "Joint-Matic", in this video, we'll use it as a mini-jointer and to produce a matching mortise and tenon.
The Joint-Matic was a stand-alone router-based tool that was produced by Shopsmith in the '90s. For more information and to see other functions, be sure to check out the introductory video here: https://youtu.be/hnGVQXQrMaA
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Looks like a pretty good way to do mortise and tenon joints. Getting that tenon thickness right is a tricky problem. If I followed the action correctly, after cutting to a partial depth all around the board, Scott keeps one face of the board down, then does a bottom cut do the desired depth, then raising the router with the crank to perform a top cut. So the mortise shape is parallel to the bottom face and has a consistent thickness.

I suppose you could use it as a joiner on small pieces that way, but a conventional vertically mounted router table would be easier, the board will lay flat on the broad side and you'd have a dual fence to adjust for the depth of cut.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:26 pm Looks like a pretty good way to do mortise and tenon joints. Getting that tenon thickness right is a tricky problem. If I followed the action correctly, after cutting to a partial depth all around the board, Scott keeps one face of the board down, then does a bottom cut do the desired depth, then raising the router with the crank to perform a top cut. So the mortise shape is parallel to the bottom face and has a consistent thickness.

I suppose you could use it as a joiner on small pieces that way, but a conventional vertically mounted router table would be easier, the board will lay flat on the broad side and you'd have a dual fence to adjust for the depth of cut.
It looks like a good system for when it came out on the market in 1979. Though I have seen mixed reviews for them on this forum in the past due to people picking them up on the used market and finding issues with them. With no replacement parts, I don't think I would invest in one unless you just have to have Shopsmith's version of it. There are more modern versions of this concept, such as the one below from MLCS that I have seen and it is reasonably priced.
MLCS_horizontal_router.png
MLCS_horizontal_router.png (429.25 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor