Best Place to Sell a Pre-Owned?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Best Place to Sell a Pre-Owned?

Post by DLB »

In the N. TX market, I'd say if you sold the whole system a price somewhere around $1200 would be reasonable. You could start out asking 1400 - 1500, to test the waters but be prepared to lower the ask if response is poor. If you want to maximize selling price consider separating some of the SPTs, especially the scroll saw and next the belt sander. It is less common to find these accessories included with a used Mark. The scroll saw, for example, is worth in the 150 - 200 range included in a package but maybe 300 - 350 by itself if it's in good shape. Personally, I would keep at least the bandsaw and jointer with the 510 to keep it marketable. Good luck!

- David
Snowbeard
Bronze Member

Post by Snowbeard »

DLB/Russ,

I really appreciate the tips and feedback. Good advice.

Have a very merry Christmas!!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Sabotier wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 am I'm also looking to sell a complete machine - a model 10ER that I've had for many years, and which my father bought new (perhaps in 1949).
S/N ER-10822. It's equipped with the variable-speed changer.
Here's a photo of the machine and all the accompanying attachments / accessories:
ShopSmith_10ER_20200919.jpg
The base is a homebuilt carrying case, with swiveling casters attached to the corners.
I've cleaned up and waxed the ways, so both the headstock and table move easily. I've run it briefly, so I know the motor works.
(Note: this needs to find another home, since I purchased a Mark V from a neighbor some years ago, and since we plan to move in the coming year and it would be silly to move both machines.)
I've cataloged all the accessories that would go along with the machine. I even have the ORIGINAL owner's guide and several issues of the "Shop Notes" newsletter.
I'm looking for any suggestions on what the entire package would be worth.
If it makes a difference, I'm just outside Boston.
You have a nice looking machine with a lot of extras. That's more parts and better quality than I typically see here in the New England region. Most of the machines go between $100 and $200. I recently purchased one in very good condition for $150 and then also paid $100 for a speed changer, but I think I got a better deal on that than other similar machines advertised at that price. I think you've got something that should go for at least $500, and perhaps a good bit more if you can find the right buyer. At the moment there are a lot of old Mark Vs up for sale at prices that are too high so that should help you out. Most of what I see advertised is on Craig's List, I don't do Facebook but I understand there's a Shopsmith group there that would be a good place to evaluate prices and advertise. Just recently the number of Craig's List ads for 10ERs is down, so might be a good opportunity to try to sell yours there. Put in the picture with all those extras, I think that makes a machine look valuable to first time buyers.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Snowbeard
Bronze Member

Post by Snowbeard »

Howdy,

Just thought I’d let you all know. I sold the system I asked for pricing advice on above. Really appreciate the help. Sold it on Craigslist for $1,600.

Snowbeard