Possible Problems

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Possible Problems

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
dusty wrote:Could the browser be at fault??? Right now I am using Microsoft Edge rather than Firefox and it operates as it should.
Flush the cache in FF and see if that fixes it.
Thanks for that feedback. I did just that but still have the same issue. I have attempted to describe the problem as best I can but even with all the recommendations I am getting no where.

Since the issue seems to be nonexistent when using Windows Edge it seems logical to conclude that the issue is within the FF browser. I do prefer Firefox but this may force me to use Microsoft. :(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:
dusty wrote:Could the browser be at fault??? Right now I am using Microsoft Edge rather than Firefox and it operates as it should.
Flush the cache in FF and see if that fixes it.
Thanks for that feedback. I did just that but still have the same issue. I have attempted to describe the problem as best I can but even with all the recommendations I am getting no where.

Since the issue seems to be nonexistent when using Windows Edge it seems logical to conclude that the issue is within the FF browser. I do prefer Firefox but this may force me to use Microsoft. :(
Can you try FF on a different computer or your phone?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It looks like this problem is still festering. Dick (rjent) just sent me the following via personal email:

I guess I am done with the forum. I can't post anything. Every time
I even try to change forums, I get bumped back to a log in screen.

Like everything else SS now even the website has gone to hell. I
wonder how many others are having trouble, but nobody can hear their
cries for help.

I have tried 5 different never prior used browsers and even my android
does the same thing. I have used Reible's links, dumped cookies,
reset my CP even, basically done all of the "tricks" suggested by
folks, but nothing works.

Pass on my plight to the forum if you wish. Until they fix this I
can't participate......

Dick

Dusty, have you made any progress in getting your problem resolved? The last I recall, the consensus here was that user profiles must be getting corrupted on the Shopsmith server.

Admin, do you have any info for us?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm still not seeing any of this sort of issue BUT:

Coming into the site the main page is a quick as always. When I then check for new posts that goes along fine. When I then click on a new posts things slow down to a crawl. On my main system it takes at least 10 seconds to respond, many times even longer. On my tablet it takes even longer.

This is the only site I'm seeing this on and it seems odd that the main links are still fast but then slows down.

Anyone else seeing this?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I believe that I have resolved my problem. I got to where I am today by discarding everything on my computer related to the Firefox browser and then reloading Firefox. I no longer believe the SS server had any part in my problem.

I took this route first because prefer Firefox over Microsoft Edge but when the Microsoft browser worked I went after Firefox. Now both browser work as expected and I can operate normally with any of the four SS formats. I spent about a week chasing my tail on this one.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:I'm still not seeing any of this sort of issue BUT:

Coming into the site the main page is a quick as always. When I then check for new posts that goes along fine. When I then click on a new posts things slow down to a crawl. On my main system it takes at least 10 seconds to respond, many times even longer. On my tablet it takes even longer.

This is the only site I'm seeing this on and it seems odd that the main links are still fast but then slows down.

Anyone else seeing this?

Ed
Yes, very slow at my end too, submitting a post is the worst.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It's slow to navigate past the home page. Also have to login about every other time I come to the site. I though that part might have to do with the spam problem.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have also been seeing the slow server issue with this forum for the past 1-2 weeks. It is any time I navigate to a thread, try to submit a post or try to move around the forum, e.g. from page to page. Something is wrong with the server that this forum resides on. I did a ping test to this site from multiple locations around the world and it is at least 300ms or more. Most typical servers for websites are at least 10x faster than this and for reference Google pings in the 1-2ms timeframe. Overloaded servers or issues with the forum software or ??? I am seeing it take typically about 10seconds for most pages on the forum to load now, but some are 20seconds or more which is excruciatingly long.

I have a fast internet connection (100Mbps cable line) and don't have any issues with any website I visit...just this one. It is not a browser issue for me. I have seen the same slowness on multiple devices on different browsers.
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:I'm still not seeing any of this sort of issue BUT:

Anyone else seeing this?

Ed
Yes, the site has been very slow for the last 3 or 4 days. Some things are normal fast sometimes but most things (changing forums, first new pose, etc.) are slow. Around 10 seconds as you say. This has happened in the past but usually clears up in a day. I always chalked it up to some server in the path to SS. This time however it is persisting.

The SS site is the only place I see it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have been noticing that the site has been very slow lately but other than that it has worked OK Typically 7 or more to seconds to access a topic or a forum. I am using Firefox as my browser.
Bill V
I see that our Cyrillic alphabet folks are back.
Last edited by wa2crk on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.