Today's nature video

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Today's nature video

Post by reible »

I sure do enjoy my nature walks. To get all the steps I need in a week I like to get out in nature for at least some of them, sidewalks and neighborhoods get pretty boring........ So I have a couple of videos I posted just in case you are not able to get out and visit nature. First is a young possum I spotted just off the path. Possums are really interesting so I would say that after watching the video look them up. Anyway this one seems to have not quite got the hang of meeting someone, well me anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDG7hi ... E.L.Reible

This second video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsCPMcW ... E.L.Reible

I titled it "Heron maybe rinsing it beak??" Don't know if that is what is going on but that is what it looked like to me??

BTW the beaver dam is still in place, I'd say about 3 feet high now. Sure would be nice to see the beaver but no luck so far.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Nice ones!

The heron around here looks so 'regal' compared to the more numerous geese.

Chris
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Gorgeous videos, Ed!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:18 pm First is a young possum I spotted just off the path. Possums are really interesting so I would say that after watching the video look them up. Anyway this one seems to have not quite got the hang of meeting someone, well me anyway.
Ed,

Nice videos as always. Possums are actually not native to North America and are more commonly found in Australia (kangaroo relative), and a few other countries. Here in North America, we have opossums. Just a bit of trivia. When small they may look cute and cuddly, but I would keep a safe distance. In my youth I encountered a few opossums and can tell you first hand that they can be vicious and unpredictable creatures. Their snouts are full of teeth and fairly long.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you haven't had the time or didn't want to spend the effort searching here is a link that will give you a good deal of information on the opossum:

https://www.wildlifeillinois.org/galler ... g/opossum/

We see them frequently here in our neighborhood, mostly as full size adults and in the evening. This one was just off the trail which runs along a stream, decent habitat for a lot of animals. This is the same stream where the beaver dam is located but maybe a half mile farther down stream. I often find something to photograph when I walk the area.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I went in close to the dam again yesterday and shot this video:

https://youtu.be/9_OyChZKyio

This type dam needs to get wider as well as taller to trap more water and it larger so the beavers must still be working on it. No flooding of the trails yet but the water is getting closer. Still have not seen the beaver....

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 pm I went in close to the dam again yesterday and shot this video:

https://youtu.be/9_OyChZKyio

This type dam needs to get wider as well as taller to trap more water and it larger so the beavers must still be working on it. No flooding of the trails yet but the water is getting closer. Still have not seen the beaver....

Ed
Wow sure can see nature’s engineers took their training serious. Amazing! Would love to have someone attempt to explained how they learned to do that by evolution! 😂
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:16 am Wow sure can see nature’s engineers took their training serious. Amazing! Would love to have someone attempt to explained how they learned to do that by evolution! 😂
I can't explain it, but it did prompt me to Google about it. Below is an excerpt that I found from a research study. It appears to be embedded in their DNA and is triggered by the sound of flowing water, i.e. it is NOT a learned behavior (see below). Fascinating...

https://sites.google.com/site/sf11beave ... titledpost

Excerpt:
"To do this, Lars Wilsson had a test group of 4 adult beavers and further on in the experiment, also raised several kits from birth. The young beavers were kept apart from the adults so that they would have no way to learn the behavior of dam building in response to the sound of flowing water. The results of his experiment were quite amazing. He discovered that the young beavers, who had never seen or built a dam before, built a similar dam to the adult beavers on their first try. He further investigated whether it was the sight of flowing water that triggered this dam building behavior or if it was sound that triggered it. The results of this were, again, astounding. Beavers’ dam building instinct was triggered by merely the sound of flowing water, not the sight. In one of his experiments, a beaver built a dam next to a speaker in a dry tank that was playing the sound of flowing water. The article goes into further detail about methods and strategies that could be implemented that will allow water to flow without making noise, which are implemented in numerous areas surrounding Juneau, Alaska."
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

On yesterdays walk I could hear a lot of chatter from black birds. As I got closer it got even nosier. I saw a large flock drop down into the reeds near by, more then likely to spend the night. There were still a good number in the trees where I could see them so I did a short recording. Would have been interesting to know just how many had gathered.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byJPy8f ... E.L.Reible

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I can remember the birds gathering in the trees in the woods behind my house as a boy. There were thousands and the noise was almost deafening. When they took off in force you could hear the noise of their wings flapping the air. Haven't seen that in years since moving to Florida.