Forum updated, moved to new server

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

admin
Gold Member

Forum updated, moved to new server

Post by admin »

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience during the outage this weekend. We ran into some issues on the web server and had to move the forum to a different machine, and I updated the phpBB software in the process to the latest version. The new url will be https://forum.shopsmith.com

Links to the old forum should redirect to the new site.

To make the migration easier I had to disable the Shopsmith theme and switch to the default theme you see now.

Also the public admin contact form is disabled because it was generating spam.

Our goal here is to minimize maintenance so we appreciate you all reporting and moderating the spam on your own.

If you are seeing spam, security issues, or anything that broke in the upgrade, please do not hesitate email us directly using the webmaster@ email address (add the appropriate domain name to that, of course)

I will also try to check the admin private messages here but for anything urgent, email is best.

Thanks

Dan M
Shopsmith I.T.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Forum updated, moved to new server

Post by dusty »

Thanks for the time and effort spent on this recovery.

What do we lose by having the public admin contact disabled?

Are there any plans to reinstate the old list of forum format " Preferences". I prefer this present format but I know that others do not.

Thanks again for your dedication to this website.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

Thanks for doing this — I’m sure it was a huge amount of work. If you’re taking suggestions for useful improvements, please consider adding the ability to search for unread posts across all forums, present them as a single list and allow them to all be marked as read. This would eliminate the need to visit each forum individually.

Ken
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

kenbu wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am Thanks for doing this — I’m sure it was a huge amount of work. If you’re taking suggestions for useful improvements, please consider adding the ability to search for unread posts across all forums, present them as a single list and allow them to all be marked as read. This would eliminate the need to visit each forum individually.

Ken
Click on "Quick Links" (top left corner) - click "Unread Posts"
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Thank you Admin and Shopsmith for keeping this valuable resource available to us.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Thank you for all your work.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

dusty wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:37 am Thanks for the time and effort spent on this recovery.

What do we lose by having the public admin contact disabled?

Are there any plans to reinstate the old list of forum format " Preferences". I prefer this present format but I know that others do not.

Thanks again for your dedication to this website.
For the most part all we lose by disabling admin contact is spam. There is no built in way to put CAPTCHA on it. Just a shortcoming of the phpBB software. Registered users can send a direct message to admin or send us an email. (I checked and I also get an email when receiving a DM)

As far as the previous format goes, I had to disable the Shopsmith theme since it depended on some parts of the current web site which is separate now, and we're also re-doing the main web site.

At some point we may go back and migrate the previous Shopsmith theme or at least add a header. Not sure when we will get to this but I did mention it to the team.

Thanks
-dm
Shopsmith I.T.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks for sharing.

Again I must express my gratitude. The site is "back to normal".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Yes, thank you to SS IT for all their hard work.. I wondered what happened to the Shopsmith forum skin because that is what I have been using for years. However, it has only taken me two days to get used to this format and actually I find it very nice. Again, kudos to admin for all their hard work.

BTW, what is up wit hte smilies? No icons jist the text that used to produce the icons.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-11-02 Shopsmith Forums - Post a reply.png
Screenshot_2020-11-02 Shopsmith Forums - Post a reply.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

jsburger wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:42 pm Yes, thank you to SS IT for all their hard work.. I wondered what happened to the Shopsmith forum skin because that is what I have been using for years. However, it has only taken me two days to get used to this format and actually I find it very nice. Again, kudos to admin for all their hard work.

BTW, what is up wit hte smilies? No icons jist the text that used to produce the icons.
This forum theme works well on mobile devices, which is good because I had to ditch the Tapatalk plugin for mobiles.

I noticed that as well with the emojis. Will make a note to check into it. Probably just some image files that need to be copied over.

Thanks
Shopsmith I.T.