Forum updated, moved to new server

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Forum updated, moved to new server

Post by jsburger »

ryanbp01 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:26 pm I stumbled upon the forum quite by accident. It would have been nice to have advance warning since I was under the impression that the forum was no more since the link on the owner website went blank.
BPR
SPAM SPAM SPAM!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 pm
ryanbp01 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:26 pm I stumbled upon the forum quite by accident. It would have been nice to have advance warning since I was under the impression that the forum was no more since the link on the owner website went blank.
BPR
SPAM SPAM SPAM!

Why?? Ryan is a longtime member.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have already bookmarked this site until the link works on the owner website.
BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ryanbp01 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:33 pm I have already bookmarked this site until the link works on the owner website.
BPR
What link are you waiting for? The Shopsmith web site is back up and running as it always was with one major difference. The four different formats (Preferences) are no longer available. I understand that they MAY be reestablished but not now.

https://forum.shopsmith.com/
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

ryanbp01 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:33 pm I have already bookmarked this site until the link works on the owner website.
BPR
All the old forum links on the web site should be redirecting to the new URL forum.shopsmith.com
If you run into any links that don't work, please let us know which page they are on.

Thanks
-Dan M
Shopsmith I.T.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Thanks, Dan! Everything works as expected.
BPR
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Admin

The "youtube" function, for the most part, now only shows the link instead of showing the video embedded in the post.

I say for the most part because, if a start time is included in the url then it does display as before.

What is the new syntax that will make them display properly.

An example is the post in this link viewtopic.php?p=225974#p225974
Some tips for lathe work.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_3PfvgGwI[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqGuExbTwOY[/youtube]
The first two show only as links but the third displays normally. The only difference that I can see is that the third one includes "t=6s" at the end of the url.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rpd wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:30 am Admin

The "youtube" function, for the most part, now only shows the link instead of showing the video embedded in the post.

I say for the most part because, if a start time is included in the url then it does display as before.

What is the new syntax that will make them display properly.

The only difference that I can see is that the third one includes "t=6s" at the end of the url.
Thanks Ron for finding this. I just posted a new thread and tried inserting a video with a time stamp based on your feedback above. Unfortunately, this alone didn't work to make it visible using the new forum SW here. In looking at old posts, I noticed 2 additional differences. One is new links from YouTube shorten www.youtube.com to the abbreviated weblink of youtu.be. Tried this one and it didn't fix it. Then I noticed that after www.youtube.com/ there was a "watch?v=" before the index number of the video. When I added this to it, finally I created a YouTube link that would work and display properly here. Below is the link that I got to work this morning for comparison. Hopefully ADMIN will respond with more information on how this should work and whether old posts will be fixed to display properly.

[ youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hd_m0LAsAs?t=1s[/youtube ]
Note: space inserted in line above to prevent link from working so that code can be seen

Head over to the link below if you want to see how this displays in the forum with this modified YouTube link:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24275&p=276502#p276502
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

RFGuy, Good to see you got one working. :)

The "youtu.be" share links have never worked properly that I am aware of.
I always have cut and pasted the URL's from the address bar of my browser and that used to work reliably.

In the old post I linked to in the post above all three of the URL's include the "watch?v=" and yet only the third one displays properly now. Under the previous version of phpBBS they all worked.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

We had a few memory glitches this weekend on the new server but hopefully they have been resolved. If you noticed any downtime it was from me adjusting memory settings for the database.

There is a lot of of malicious traffic coming to the forum here from various other countries (which probably do not have any Shopsmith customers) attempting to hack the database and send spam and whatever else they do. The database service needed some tuning because it was running out of memory due to bots putting heavy load on the server.

It seems stable now but if you're unable to log in, feel free to send an email to the webmaster @ email address and let us know.

Thanks

ps. emojis are back
Shopsmith I.T.