Analof vs. Digital

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Analof vs. Digital

Post by db5 »

Analog vs. Digital

All the tools I own are analog as well as most clocks. My cell phone and computer are digital and are more precise. Close counts in horseshoes, hand grandees and government work. Your challenge is to identify the most often viewed analog device that has not been replaced by a digital one, because digital can’t be trusted. I see it regularly on TV; well not regularly, but now. What is that analog device?
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Analof vs. Digital

Post by edflorence »

blood pressure machine?
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

X-rays?

Your hint of "digital can't be trusted" leads me to medical or weapons. Not much in the medical field that can be viewed hasn't gone digital.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Stethoscopes
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

They aren't really tools, but you do use them every day. Your eyes and ears.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:14 am Stethoscopes
I was thinking that, but I think it would be ruled out if "viewed" in the OP is a hint.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

edflorence wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:24 pm blood pressure machine?
Sphygmomanometers (blood pressure machines) are rapidly heading in the digital direction. Both analog and digital versions are equally inaccurate.

Stethoscope mentioned above is a good one, digital versions have never caught on. Some of the old school doctors complain the youngsters don't know how to use a stethoscope properly anymore, they just drape one over their shoulder as a prop.

Gas ovens and other gas devices are mainly still analog. A lot of kitchen appliances are still analog even though there are fancy digital versions of some. A typical toaster, blender, or electric can opener is still essentially analog, but not really doing much.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I'm going to ignore the hints and say it's a speedometer. I'd guess on average an adult uses one hundreds of times per day, and the analog form is still preferred. I've seen digitals, but those I've seen were in addition to the analog version.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 pm I'm going to ignore the hints and say it's a speedometer. I'd guess on average an adult uses one hundreds of times per day, and the analog form is still preferred. I've seen digitals, but those I've seen were in addition to the analog version.

- David
That's pretty good. I hate digital speedometers, speed limits and MPH always end in 0 or 5, none of that in between stuff.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I swear when I first read this it said in medical or hospital business which tool was kept analog. Rereading it there was no such qualifier. Wow my eyes play tricks on me.
I wonder if the author of this was thinking of records/music? I know most audiophile prefer vinyl records to any digital form claiming a better sound reproduction.