GB vs GiB

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: GB vs GiB

Post by JPG »

Amazing what one can get enlightened about when things go slightly off topic!

Now if only the IEC were located elsewhere!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Then there is the Octal System.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:34 am Then there is the Octal System.
And BCD.

OOOOHHHHHHH a hybrid! So a GhB? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

This perfectly illustrates that there are 10 types of people.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

And then we have the Oil and Gas folk. Where MCF and MBBL mean 1000 cubic feet and 1000 barrels. Yes, a thousand and not a million. Allegedly based on the Roman Numeral M. But then they really step on it and use MMCF and MMBBL for millions. Any reasonable person would know that MM actually means two thousand in Roman Numerals, not a thousand times a thousand.

Perhaps this indicates that there are at least 11 types of people? ;)

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

But is my trusty tape measure still going to work :D :D :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I'm an EE by training. The definition of a "byte" originates in the 2 state digital systems we have, either on or off of a memory position- like a light switch-theres no in-between. Until we have 3-state or N-state digital systems, there is only 1 correct definition of a kilobyte..and thats 1024 bytes.

b
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

A few may recall from earlier discussions that I became a computer geek (OK, I don''t recall us ever using that term back then :D ) back through the last half of the 1960's. The big advantage then was that there were only about 40 things you had to learn to know more than everybody else. :)
One of the hardest things to do back then was answer peoples questions, which were constant, because no one ever understood your answers. Unlike today the language just wasn't part of folk's vocabulary. All they had was the crap out of science fiction movies which was almost voodoo. :rolleyes:

Today I tend to avoid close dimensions. I mostly use terms like smidgen, smite, hair, dab, speck, crumb, sliver and so on all modifiable by the suffix "ish" or the prefixes of tiny, middling or fat. :) :) :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bainin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 pm I'm an EE by training. The definition of a "byte" originates in the 2 state digital systems we have, either on or off of a memory position- like a light switch-theres no in-between. Until we have 3-state or N-state digital systems, there is only 1 correct definition of a kilobyte..and thats 1024 bytes.

b
You are referring to bits.

There are 8 bits in a byte.

There are 4 bits in a nibble.

There is one bit in a shannon.

You just described a Kibibyte. :cool:

Old habits and perceptions do die hard don;t they. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bainin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 pm I'm an EE by training. The definition of a "byte" originates in the 2 state digital systems we have, either on or off of a memory position- like a light switch-theres no in-between. Until we have 3-state or N-state digital systems, there is only 1 correct definition of a kilobyte..and thats 1024 bytes.

b
Agreed! If you are working with binary there is no other correct way to describe a kbyte and a nibble is 512 bits.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.