Happy 5th Anniversary to A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Happy 5th Anniversary to A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Post by algale »

It's hard to believe that it was exactly five years ago today that I finished building A Slow Boat to Nowhere.

As much enjoyment as I got out of the 2-plus on-and-off years I spent building my canoe, the using of it has brought me even greater joy! I could never have imagined the places it would take me or the experiences I would get to enjoy because of it! A partial list of the highlights:
  • Watching a cow moose and its calf for ten minutes as they stood in a stream feeding perhaps 50 feet away and then looking down and seeing a beaver staring at me from the same stream less than a foot from my canoe.
  • Watching the July 4th fireworks at night over the nation's capital from the Potomac River.
  • Canoeing the exact same path that Henry David Thoreau took down the West Branch of the Penobscot River.
  • Paddling into a campsite with my dog on Little Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks and then having a 2-4 AM standoff with an overly inquisitive black bear.
  • Watching an unperturbed Great Blue Heron catch and eat a fish only feet from the bow of my canoe.
  • Portaging a mile into the legendary Allagash Lake in Maine and having the lake entirely to myself for two days.
And NONE of this would have happened if I hadn't bought a Shopsmith or had the help of many of the forum members during the build!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Happy 5th Anniversary to A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Post by RFGuy »

Congrats Alan! Your boat build is an inspiration to those of us who have aspirations to one day build one ourselves. Though I wasn't on the forum when you were building it, I have enjoyed reading some of the posts on its construction and putting it to good use. Much appreciated.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor