A view on alignment of the shopsmith.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: A view on alignment of the shopsmith.

Post by DLB »

Right now I think that Dusty and Scott are both talking about a 'properly adjusted headrest lever lock' but each has a different definition of what that means. Or at least that's how I'm interpreting it.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:42 am Very interesting point by Scott of My Growth Rings on why he never puts a fence on a left side extension table. He points out that the assembly has a ton of movement even locked. Check out the video. https://youtu.be/2iQ9GiiwHo4?t=460

When locked the assembly does not have a ton of movement(as demonstrated in the video). I consider it to be rock solid (when locked). Unlocked it does have movement as demonstrated in the video.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not understand what table to blade alignment changes with a twisting of the way tubes. The twist will result in the table top surface varying from horizontal front to rear. As Dusty pointed out the blade and table move(twist) together.

Neither do I understand the tie bar clamp being not allowed to perform it's function by leaving the adjustment sloppy so as to allow that side to side movement demonstrated in the video when it is "clamped". Nor have I experienced the lever interference with the jointer.

I do not doubt Scott's experience regarding this, but have not experienced this myself in almost 60 years. I can assure all that my Goldie clamp does clamp very tightly. Raising to vertical has never been a problem with the jointer mounted. Seems like a scenario similar to the bandsaw table clearance when raising. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:17 pm Neither do I understand the tie bar clamp being not allowed to perform it's function by leaving the adjustment sloppy so as to allow that side to side movement demonstrated in the video when it is "clamped". Nor have I experienced the lever interference with the jointer.
I agree that the movement shown in Scott's video looked excessive to me, but having said this I see movement on my Mark V with the tie bar clamp tightened fully and clamped down. I can get the tie bar to move at least +- 1/8". It is not a lot, but it does have some play. Perhaps there has been some design or manufacturing tweaks to this part of the Mark V over the years, e.g. less movement/variation on the Goldie's, etc.?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:56 pm ...I see movement on my Mark V with the tie bar clamp tightened fully and clamped down. I can get the tie bar to move at least +- 1/8". It is not a lot, but it does have some play. Perhaps there has been some design or manufacturing tweaks to this part of the Mark V over the years, e.g. less movement/variation on the Goldie's, etc.?
What is the manufacturing time frame of yours? I know they changed the Base end (again) probably late 90's or very early 2K's, when they put the setscrews on top and more accessible, plus smaller diameter hinge pin IIRC, held with an E-Clip. I'm not sure about the Headrest, but a change in the same time-frame seems plausible.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:25 pm What is the manufacturing time frame of yours? I know they changed the Base end (again) probably late 90's or very early 2K's, when they put the setscrews on top and more accessible, plus smaller diameter hinge pin IIRC, held with an E-Clip. I'm not sure about the Headrest, but a change in the same time-frame seems plausible.

- David
Thanks David. Manufactured on 3/23/1998
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:54 pm Thanks David. Manufactured on 3/23/1998
Does the Headrest have the asymmetry where the SPT lock goes as shown in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=264538#p264538 ?That was on '04 but I have since seen it in an earlier one, '01 I think. That would appear to confirm a different casting in comparison to ~ '91. I for sure have one of those I can look at, it is no longer mounted to anything.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:36 pm
RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:54 pm Thanks David. Manufactured on 3/23/1998
Does the Headrest have the asymmetry where the SPT lock goes as shown in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=264538#p264538 ?That was on '04 but I have since seen it in an earlier one, '01 I think. That would appear to confirm a different casting in comparison to ~ '91. I for sure have one of those I can look at, it is no longer mounted to anything.

- David
David,

Thanks. It looks like I do as well. Below is a picture. I tried to measure it with my calipers, but it is awkward since the calipers don't fit between the two. I get a depth of 0.1725" on one side and 0.1550" on the other.
IMG_5469.jpg
IMG_5469.jpg (67.61 KiB) Viewed 751 times
📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It seems to me as though two different locking methods are being discussed.

One secures the SPT legs in the bores while the other

secures the tie bar by pulling it toward the base casting.

Both are adjustable.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:49 am It seems to me as though two different locking methods are being discussed.
We weren't discussing SPT locking, just using this to identify the Headrest in question. RFGuy suggested the possibility that his Headrest tie bar lock might not perform as well as the older ones. My first thought that was that the Headrest hadn't changed in a long time, but I remembered this asymmetry which suggests to me that at a minimum a new casting was created, and that there is a visible way of identifying the newer ones. You are right, the asymmetry itself has nothing to do with locking the tie bar but can impact locking accessories. Users may need to change how they preset their SPT locks, creating a bias to offset for the asymmetry.

My thinking was (is) to see if RFGuy has this version of Headrest (now confirmed) and then see if there are any differences that might have something to do with tie bar locking.

- David