Assembling a Whatsit.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Assembling a Whatsit.

Post by JPG »

This is apparently more non-apparent than I had visualized.

Maybe 'fence' is not an accurate word. But fence is descriptive(sorta).

The clamp is shown(#1) resting upon 'it'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Full reveal!
10 the rest of the story.jpg
10 the rest of the story.jpg (486.3 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Well, I think my guess was kind of right although not specific enough! So the wedge shape rides the top of the fence? I do this with a regular twin-screw woodworking clamp (mine is a Jorgenson) and just let the threaded rods ride the top of the fence. It gets the job done. But I like your solution.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 pm Full reveal!
Isn't it more like a "partial" reveal? I mean, the picture is zoomed in and I have no idea what the jig is underneath so I don't know the purpose of the clamp. I mean are you cutting tenons or is this to a hold a small workpiece for finger joints or ???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 pm
JPG wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 pm Full reveal!
Isn't it more like a "partial" reveal? I mean, the picture is zoomed in and I have no idea what the jig is underneath so I don't know the purpose of the clamp. I mean are you cutting tenons or is this to a hold a small workpiece for finger joints or ???
That's the Incra iBox finger joint jig.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Maybe thee does not recognize the 'jig' the clamp is riding on, but as Algale mentioned it is being used with an Incra Box Joint(jig?).

Yes the 'normal' world uses what I several decades ago learned was a Jorgensen clamp. I could not discover one that I felt was properly sized for the task(they all too big). Also the cheap smallest one they had from HF that I purchased for this purpose was just too sloppy in the 'joints' to be reasonably useful.

Yes the triangular shaped blocks ride on the top of the fence thus sparing the fence from that nasty steel threaded shaft scratching it. The tip of the triangles hold the current screw slightly off the top of the fence.

A good use of some red oak scraps. The hardware was a lengthy journey deciding what to use. Nine different thingies. 15 pieces!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝