Platinum Member

2020 Rating

Post by reible »

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: 2020 Rating

Post by garys »

I don't want the T shirt, but I didn't think 2020 was that bad. I've had much worse years. (1969 for instance.)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:05 pm I don't want the T shirt, but I didn't think 2020 was that bad. I've had much worse years. (1969 for instance.)
I have to agree with you Gary. I know it has been terrible for lots and lots of people.. However, for me and my wife the only thing has been not to be able to go anywhere. We had 8 or 9 concerts scheduled this past year that all got canceled. We haven't been able to go to Sacramento to visit my wife's 86 year old mother. We had three other trips planned that didn't happen.

Since we are both retired DOD employees and I am also retired Air Force it has had zero impact financially. It puts a whole new light on "Fixed Income".

Hopefully this new round of stimulus will help and I wish all of you that are not as fortunate as me and my wife the best. We will get through this.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

For me it hasn't been that much different than normal. As a courier I am considered an essential service and have not lost a day of work.

Where I live, (British Columbia, Canada), our Chief Medical Health Officer has training in Preventive Medicine and a degree in Epidemiology, and had experience dealing with previous pandemics, so plans were initiated early on. Our Provincial government supported her in these efforts and did not interfere on ideological grounds.
As a result our lock downs have not been as severe as most other places.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Be thank you! Not every one has that outlook,
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

My situation is similar to John's. I am retired so no change in income and my wife is still working and since people still need access to their money she has been working at her Credit Union job. Even if I was still working I would have been essential as a Firefighter/first responder. The only major effect was not being able to go to events and such. I do feel for those that have been greatly effected like our daughter who is a school bus driver. She will not go back to work until in-person/at school learning resumes. Luckily for her, she and her children live with us and we are helping them get through. Another group of people affected this year were at the hands of Mother Nature. Here in Oregon many lost everything in the wild fires. That was a good place for some of the money we saved this year to go to help those in need.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
emmasophie927
Bronze Member

Post by emmasophie927 »

garys wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:05 pm I don't want the T shirt, but I didn't think 2020 was that bad for cyber punk goggles for men. I've had much worse years. (1969 for instance.)
yes i agree with you on this, i have experienced the same.
Last edited by emmasophie927 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

2020 was really not all that bad! I lived through it all and am still able to make saw dust and chips.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Until the end of February I commuted to Chicago every week, lived in hotels and on fast food. I've been working at home since and the commute is awesome.

I don't go anywhere other than the grocery store and Menards, I've been able to work on the new shop every night since we moved into the new house and it's almost done now. Unlike other years, I didn't get stranded in an airport for days, haven't been sick at all, have been able to spend more time with my wife than we've had in the last decade.

The only downside really is that my 97 year old dad is basically locked down and I've only seen him once when he and my sister broke the rules on the way home from the VA in September.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

It was a matter of prospective, if you were not effected then 2020 was not so bad, but if you lost a loved one to Covid or dealt with the disease yourself it was pretty awful. Personally I did not enjoy 2020. I lost a brother to the disease, I watched my daughter a Hospice nurse agonize over insuring she did not bring the disease home to her family. She watched many patients died earlier than normal from the disease but even worst she had to manage high number of patients as they entered the Hospice with Covid related problems that would claim their lives.
I watched my other daughter a high school assistant principal try to figure out where to get teachers and classroom space to insure proper separation. Spending untold amounts of time trying to trace Covid exposure and dealing with out breaks and shutdowns.
I watched some of my favorite restaurants close forever along with many small businesses. I saw the anguish on the faces of owners that had to let employees go. I saw people that never knew a day of lack standing in line to get something from social services so they could continue to eat.
I saw the heart break and despair on the faces of the millions of people that buried dead love ones, people taken before their time by a disease that came upon them.
Yes 2020 and how we view it a matter of perspective.