2020 Rating

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 2020 Rating

Post by JPG »

Bad as 2020 was, a day this week was far more disconcerting!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 am Bad as 2020 was, a day this week was far more disconcerting!
If I am allowed to pick the day - I will most likely agree. A very bad day it was.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:59 am It was a matter of prospective, if you were not effected then 2020 was not so bad, but if you lost a loved one to Covid or dealt with the disease yourself it was pretty awful. Personally I did not enjoy 2020. I lost a brother to the disease, I watched my daughter a Hospice nurse agonize over insuring she did not bring the disease home to her family. She watched many patients died earlier than normal from the disease but even worst she had to manage high number of patients as they entered the Hospice with Covid related problems that would claim their lives.
I watched my other daughter a high school assistant principal try to figure out where to get teachers and classroom space to insure proper separation. Spending untold amounts of time trying to trace Covid exposure and dealing with out breaks and shutdowns.
I watched some of my favorite restaurants close forever along with many small businesses. I saw the anguish on the faces of owners that had to let employees go. I saw people that never knew a day of lack standing in line to get something from social services so they could continue to eat.
I saw the heart break and despair on the faces of the millions of people that buried dead love ones, people taken before their time by a disease that came upon them.
Yes 2020 and how we view it a matter of perspective.
Thanks Ed for injecting some reality into this thread. I am sorry to hear about your loss. For many, 2020 was a heartbreaking year for various reasons. I likely had COVID back in March. It was mis-diagnosed as the flu even though I had major breathing difficulties (not a flu symptom). It is moot now because we didn't have functional test kits in the US back then, nor were doctors testing anyone unless they just came back from China. After a miserable 2 weeks, the main symptoms cleared but left me with extreme fatigue for 2 more months. For those of us with school aged children, it has been difficult to sit back and watch schools try to navigate this. In many school systems virtual learning has been a joke and my school district is no different. Most teachers work very hard and are dedicated despite COVID challenges, but some have largely checked out during this pandemic. It has been particularly hard on a lot of kids with many suffering anxiety and depression because of it. From a lost year of education to financial losses to bankrupt companies to mental anguish to political divisiveness, 2020 was certainly a year most of us would rather forget (hopefully sooner than later). Posting this not to rant, but just share my own perspective of how COVID is affecting some of us. I am fortunate because I am still alive and so far COVID hasn't claimed a family member though I do worry about my parents given their health issues prior to COVID. Wishing everyone good health in 2021 and hopefully a quicker end to this pandemic than what appears likely at this time.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Like incest everything is relative.