Bent T-nuts on new product

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Bent T-nuts on new product

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:23 pm Yea I was thinking that something didn't look right but after studying it I can see it is right.

edgedetect.jpg

Wide part is the right as it should be.

And yes contact Shopsmith, that just not right.....

Ed
After a good relook you are right. Not sure what I was thinking. Sorry for the confusion. :eek:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'key reveal' is that the wider 'bottom' has the ends relieved.

Happy New Year SS CS.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:16 pm The 'key reveal' is that the wider 'bottom' has the ends relieved.

Happy New Year SS CS.
Of course. It must be age clicking in. :(
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thee has a long say to go!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:16 pm Thee has a long say to go!
I hope so. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

Okay, well I wrote a note to the mothership about my bent products, I got a return authorization and sent them back. Today the replacements arrived and ...

... wait for it ..

they're exactly the same! Just as bent in just the same way. <sigh>

No one bothered to even try putting them into a slot before shipping them out. No one cared enough to check the stock for defects. No one checked in with the supplier to say 'WTF, you can't get this right!?" or even "Fix this carp or lose this contract!"

Am I being encouraged to walk away and fix them myself? Is it even worth the trouble of talking to them again? Who has time for this?

[edit] So I decided to take another stab at fixing them myself. Here's my bending jig, using 3/8" hex nuts to send the force around the bolt. If you try this, be aware that you can go too far. I also filed down the body width, the wing width and the thickness before I could get them into my fence slot, which has tighter tolerances than the table slots.
Bending jig 1.jpg
Bending jig 1.jpg (37.32 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Bending jig 2.jpg
Bending jig 2.jpg (42.01 KiB) Viewed 486 times