Fox in my back yard, the video

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Fox in my back yard, the video

Post by reible »

Fox Friday??

The fox hasn't been showing up since 1/17 at 10:17PM. I think the camera placement along its path spooked it. My bad.

Anyway the first video is his regular passage through the yard with a little stop over for checking out something..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6l4uF ... E.L.Reible

This next video shows a short chase, squirrel, rabbit, birds???? We do have doves that come to the feeder and I would guess a fox might find that a meal?? Anyway it didn't seem to catch anything which you can see has it exits the yard in the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzrVmBE ... E.L.Reible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJPFPf ... E.L.Reible

This the last I've seen of the fox. As I said perhaps having the camera right in the path way was a mistake.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js1cboB ... E.L.Reible

While it looks like this fox adventure might be over it sure was fun while it lasted.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:27 pm Fox Friday??

The fox hasn't been showing up since 1/17 at 10:17PM. I think the camera placement along its path spooked it. My bad.

Anyway the first video is his regular passage through the yard with a little stop over for checking out something..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6l4uF ... E.L.Reible

This next video shows a short chase, squirrel, rabbit, birds???? We do have doves that come to the feeder and I would guess a fox might find that a meal?? Anyway it didn't seem to catch anything which you can see has it exits the yard in the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzrVmBE ... E.L.Reible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJPFPf ... E.L.Reible

This the last I've seen of the fox. As I said perhaps having the camera right in the path way was a mistake.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js1cboB ... E.L.Reible

While it looks like this fox adventure might be over it sure was fun while it lasted.

Ed
Why would a fox or any other animal for that matter know what a camera was?

He came there arbitrarily and now he is leaving arbitrarily. It is great that he was there for a time.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just like when I trained dog to find explosives or to find trip wires or alert to personal you use the animals senses to identify things that are there and it could be just chance or it could be the fox was spooked by having something new its path. He/she has no idea it is camera but it will surly know that something it different and reacting the way it did tells me it wasn't happy about it. It could have been anything there and spooked the fox but in this case it was likely the camera. And likely his nose rather then sight that provoked the change. If you watch in the moments before it changes direction it definitely noticed something ahead on its path.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Had to empty the memory card today. Just put the camera back out and it is just 10 degrees out there..... have it in the side yard where the open gate is to the back yard. It is possible that the fox could have come another way and was not in sight of the camera but tonight we should know for sure as it always seems to exit to the front yard.

I wanted to mention that sometimes you see some pretty warm temperatures on the camera display, they are from me having the camera inside and then it having to cool off. To be sure we are not seeing 40 or more degrees right now. It was 3 or 4 degrees last night and might make it below zero tonight. Bet the fox is glad it has such a nice fur coat.

Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

We had a dog that did not like to have her picture taken, as soon as you got a camera or cell phone out to take her picture she would slink off and hide.
No clue as to how she knew, perhaps the CCD chip makes a sound we can't hear.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have a good friend who uses trail cams , he all ways sends me photos of deer staring into the camera .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Camera had some issues last night. All the night videos were just seconds long rather then the 20 seconds that they should have been. I think the batteries are at fault. It takes energy to use the IR and since it was -3 degrees the efficiency of the batteries also suffers. I will see if I have enough to get a fresh set installed (8 AA's). But for now I will get the camera back out there as it seems to be working fine during the day.

The fox did show up:
fox last nigth.jpg
fox last nigth.jpg (322.75 KiB) Viewed 822 times
Just no video to show.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is Friday Fox. You can call him Friday or Fox or what ever you like but here at Fox Hill RD he/she if Friday

The videos are a little short this week. One day I was just getting ready to return the camera to the outdoors and they was the fox, having gone right through were I had had the camera set up. I did get a glimpse of the fox as it ran through the camera location and that can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AWs5W ... E.L.Reible

It has been slowed down to 1/4 speed so you can at least get a small look at it.

The rest of the week the fox has been around but avoiding my camera placements. Going to try some other places this coming week. I did manage to get some pictures this week so this and the next post will have a story line and pictures.

So how about some Friday pictures from of course Friday.

My wife spotted Friday trying to get a little nap in back by our maple tree. Maybe a few zzz's but seemed to be resistless. I really like how dark Friday's ears are from behind.
ff1.jpg
ff1.jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Sorry these pictures are not better but with window film and dirty windows this is what you get. Here is another shot where it is clear something has Friday's attention.
ff2.jpg
ff2.jpg (88.67 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Not long after it was time to roam around some more and off it went. A good bit of excitement when ever we see Friday.

Later my wife again spotted a napping fox up against the fence in the far back yard. This was even worse for getting a picture with window screen also between.
ff3.jpg
ff3.jpg (90.27 KiB) Viewed 795 times
What you can't see is a squirrel on the fence right above the fox making a racket and flicking its tail like crazy. Must have been difficult to get any good rest but that is the life of a fox.

Later in the day I heard what I have come to recognize as the sort of a laugh of a fox. Yes I have been watching foxes on youtube...... I was setting here at my computer so I jumped up and threw back the curtain to see what I could see. Turns out a black cat and the fox had found each other. The cat didn't look to happy about it but the fox I think would like to have played for a while. The cat slipped away and the fox let out one more laugh then sat down facing the other way.
ff4.jpg
ff4.jpg (231.51 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Then it was time to go check out some new things.
fr5.jpg
fr5.jpg (293.04 KiB) Viewed 795 times
More to follow,

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here it almost looks like Friday is climbing up on the shed roof, not the case but simply walking behind the shed after checking out a rather demolished small trampoline in the neighbors yard. Perhaps thinking of that as a location to get out of the upcoming snow storm??
ff6.jpg
ff6.jpg (176.77 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Pausing for a moment to check out the yard.
ff7.jpg
ff7.jpg (186.81 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Then it was time to go look for lunch or perhaps just an adventure in another yard?
ff8.jpg
ff8.jpg (202.03 KiB) Viewed 795 times
ff9.jpg
ff9.jpg (273.25 KiB) Viewed 795 times

Didn't do well with trail camera placement this past week. Only that small second of the run red fox run video. Camera was out last night and I will be checking that this afternoon. Might have gotten lucky?? If so look for another post with details or otherwise see what happens next Friday.

Hope everyone has something to enjoy today be it a fox or something else.

Ed
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Wonderful pics of a beautiful animal!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!