What a fun ice storm we had!!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Now that the weather has warmed up a bit and most people have their power back, I'm noticing a lot of generators coming up for sale on Craigslist and the local classifieds. I know they're a pain to store, but we usually get a couple of good tornados ripping through our area every spring. You'd think people would want to be prepared, but lessons always have to be re-learned.
One lessoned I've learned is that the big, propane-fired, whole house generator I had been wanting to have installed is now moving quickly up my home-improvement priority list.
There've been a couple of times over the course of the last week where I've actually thought to myself; "Man, I lived better over in Iraq!" Then I quickly shook the thought from head because, as lousy as things have gotten, there are those that are worse off than me and: I'm not getting shot at.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

After 13 days it would be more then irritating to me. I know these guys work long hard hours after the storms, but if the lights are on all around you for some reason they think you are taken care of also and they have moved on down the line. If you don't keep calling them they won't be back. Hang in there.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

rolands wrote:After 13 days it would be more then irritating to me. I know these guys work long hard hours after the storms, but if the lights are on all around you for some reason they think you are taken care of also and they have moved on down the line. If you don't keep calling them they won't be back. Hang in there.
POWER!!! Got the power back on yesterday afternoon! Yes! What finally did it was an inside connection with the power company. My girlfriend called her sister whose best friend is a dispatcher with the company. Well, after a little coordination, the friend routed a truck to my area and within twenty minutes had the power up and running for the last 13 homes. A part of me feels bad that we had to do it that way, but the other part of me says, "screw it!" I mean, after five days of calls to the regular operator and getting nowhere, we had to pull out the trump card. Anyway, after cleaning up the mess that our living room had become, I HAD to head over to the shop and power up the machinery, just to hear it all!! Music to the ears. Won't be getting shop time for a while, though. I've still got one heck of a mess to clean up in my yard and three oaks and a hickory that came down that I need to get to my sawyer.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!