Rockler dust right 750 CFM and Shopsmith DC-6000

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Rockler dust right 750 CFM and Shopsmith DC-6000

Post by reible »

I'm not interested in buying either one but since shopsmith has introduced this I have taken the time to check out what little they have given as specs for it. Then last night I was looking at my freshly delivered Rockler catalog and noticed they have a similar at least in some respects system.

Shopsmith $739 +??
Rockler $550 + Additional Shipping and Handling Charge: $35

Shopsmith 8 AMP 1-1/2 HP
Rockler 12 AMP 1 HP

Shopsmith 600 CFM
Rockler 750 CFM

Shopsmith 21"w x 26"d x 48"h
Rockler 16-1/2''W x 30''D x 54-1/2''H

Shopsmith 7 microns - only 1 micron with optional 42" Hood
Rockler Filter Type: Canister 1 micron

Shopsmith 64 pounds
Rockler 88 pounds

Shopsmith Power Cord 12 feet
Rockler Power Cord 10 feet

Shopsmith 74 decibels
Rockler 75 dB

Shopsmith hose 12 foot
Rockler no hose

Shopsmith Bag Capacity 30-gallon
Rockler Bag Capacity: 11 gallons (about 1-1/2 cubic feet)

I'll let those more interested to look at the other differences.... and yes this is only one of many that would be in competition if I were looking for such a system.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Rockler dust right 750 CFM and Shopsmith DC-6000

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I saw this one recently too. Assuming the pic below is the one you are referring to. It looks interesting. I like that it is rather compact, but this could be a negative. It is very short which could be an advantage if you someone needs to tuck this in under a cabinet/shelf on a wall. That bag is small at only 11 gallons versus 30 gallons on the DC-3300/6000. Also, wish there was an option for a taller filter cartridge, or one that goes down to 0.3µm. Looking at the online reviews for it, they appeared mixed. I mean some complain about the X brace catching wood chips/shavings and blocking the inlet. Others complain that the small filter cartridge clogs quickly and has to be cleaned daily. Still, it is always nice to have more choices available in the marketplace...
RocklerDustRiteMobile.jpg
RocklerDustRiteMobile.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:29 am Yeah, I saw this one recently too. Assuming the pic below is the one you are referring to. It looks interesting. I like that it is rather compact, but this could be a negative. It is very short which could be an advantage if you someone needs to tuck this in under a cabinet/shelf on a wall. That bag is small at only 11 gallons versus 30 gallons on the DC-3300/6000. Also, wish there was an option for a taller filter cartridge, or one that goes down to 0.3µm. Looking at the online reviews for it, they appeared mixed. I mean some complain about the X brace catching wood chips/shavings and blocking the inlet. Others complain that the small filter cartridge clogs quickly and has to be cleaned daily. Still, it is always nice to have more choices available in the marketplace...
RocklerDustRiteMobile.jpg
Is the smaller bag really a negative. How often does that thirty gallon bag get filled? I almost always change bags long before it gets half full.

I change bags. I do not reuse one once it has been used.

If I didn't have a dust collector this one would be under consideration.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:54 am Is the smaller bag really a negative. How often does that thirty gallon bag get filled? I almost always change bags long before it gets half full.

Dusty,

Good point. Yeah, I typically never let my Shopsmith 30 gallon bags get full because they can be a real bear to change when full. The Rockler 11 gallon bags are more narrow and taller so my guess is it would be easier to fill these near capacity before swapping out. Definitely could be an advantage having a smaller bag depending on the shop.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:27 am
dusty wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:54 am Is the smaller bag really a negative. How often does that thirty gallon bag get filled? I almost always change bags long before it gets half full.

Dusty,

Good point. Yeah, I typically never let my Shopsmith 30 gallon bags get full because they can be a real bear to change when full. The Rockler 11 gallon bags are more narrow and taller so my guess is it would be easier to fill these near capacity before swapping out. Definitely could be an advantage having a smaller bag depending on the shop.
Don't get me wrong, I am not 100% satisfied with my dust collection system. I can not say that the lower saw guard's contribution to dust collection is stellar. That saw guard could be greatly improved. It leaks and IMO the hose connects in the wrong place.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

I have a DC-6000 ordered. I received an email several weeks ago that the collector was being delayed due to parts availability but should ship 3/5. Well, 3/5 came and went with no shipping notice nor email update. 😒

Jack
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

claimdude wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 am I have a DC-6000 ordered. I received an email several weeks ago that the collector was being delayed due to parts availability but should ship 3/5. Well, 3/5 came and went with no shipping notice nor email update. 😒

Jack
I would say it is tell for a telephone query to Customer Service.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Dusty,

You are correct. I will do that the first of the week.

Jack
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

claimdude wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 am I have a DC-6000 ordered. I received an email several weeks ago that the collector was being delayed due to parts availability but should ship 3/5. Well, 3/5 came and went with no shipping notice nor email update. 😒

Jack
Jack,

Still no DC-6000 yet? Just curious because I got my Shopsmith 2021 catalog today in the mail. The DC-6000 page is interesting because it says "Available Late December!". Anyway, hope you get it soon and looking forward to your feedback on it. I can't believe the 42" filter hood is now $94.99 in price...might as well go ahead and splurge on a HEPA cartridge filter at that price. :confused:

Off topic for this thread, but I was surprised to see a new NOVA G3 chuck in the catalog called the G3 PRO-TEK which is reversible. A very nice feature for sanding on the lathe but unfortunately I don't have a PowerPro so I guess I can hold off on that purchase for now since I can't do reverse yet. Unfortunately NOVA decided to change the jaw fasteners to star from hex which isn't as convenient. I really like the inclusion of more project pictures in the new catalog...a few of them are from forum members here that I recognize. Nice work guys! :)
📶RF Guy

claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

RFGuy,

Yeah, I called them again and was told they would ship the end of March. We'll see ;-)

Jack